• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map RO-Zhitomir1941 Beta 1

JAKL

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 27, 2005
The After-Hourz Red Orchestra Development Team is proud to announce the latest map from Drecks:

Zhitomir1941

Historical Background:

8 July 1941: Almost three weeks since the start of Operation Barbarossa the motorized LSSAH reached the woods around the city of Zhitomir. The speed of it's advance left them without their infantry support and countless Soviet counterattacks, infantry combined with T34's almost made the situation critical.

9 July: The city of Zhitomir was captured, but Soviets kept their stubborn defense until the 16th of July.

Generaloberst Franz Halder wrote:

"The enemy is sending into the battle every day new units we never imagined he could have or could mobilize so fast. Russia seems to have an unlimited supply of forces and our intelligence had been badly off the mark."

Tactical Information:

This is a strictly Infantry Urban assault/defend map where the Axis must capture all of the objectives in order to win the round. There are five objectives with the first two being closed after they have been taken by the Axis. The third objective (Krasnaja Apartments) must be taken in order to open up the fourth objective (Church Park). Once the Church Park has been capped, the final objective (Warehouse) will be opened and the Krasnaja Apartments will be closed. If the Allies retake the Church Park, the Krasnaja Apartments will be re-opened so the Axis will want to make sure they cover their flanks on their assault of the Warehouse.

zhitomir5.jpg

EDIT:
DOWNLOAD FILES
The files contain the ROM as well as compressed file for the server admins.

Last edited:
although afcourse it aint nice you do know that every player that connects to your server and downloads the files from the redirect is able to later on put those files on his server again? Haven't played your map yet though ^^ but it looks nice from the screenshots.

Yes we do realize this however we put it on our server to get a larger test audience as the RO community is small and it's hard to get full server alpha testing. An update is going to be released either today or tomorrow based on full server testing so other server admins will have to update again. We specifically didn't give out the ROM files because we knew that would be a possibility. Server admins can throw up the map against our wishes if they want but at the same time we don't take responsibility if they have problems. What I would ask is that the other server admins work with the mappers and respect their wishes. If a mapper wants to do an isolated public release they have their reasons and it would be beneficial if the server admins respected those wishes. This only benefits the server admins in allowing for the most balanced end products to be released.

Upvote 0
Then..... don't make it appear as a general beta release.... all the fanfare.... and no cigar. :confused:

What's the difference if one server has 32 players or if multiple servers have 16 or more players each??

You get a wider audience and more feedback by having it on MORE than one server.. ;)

This map is on a WIDE OPEN Server... everyone who plays will have a copy of the map. Broken or not. Everyone is taking the risk, not just those Admins who'd like to offer the map also. Somehow your logic evades me. :confused:

Why is it on a server with a Map that's in General Beta Release. I'd think that if you wanted a "limited beta" you'd have Zhitimor on a passworded server.

But what do I know, I'm only "that guy" from RGN. :)

Upvote 0
Well Mike we didn't release the files and in the post we specifically said it was in a limited fashion so it's not like we weren't clear. The RO community is small. Getting a full server during alpha testing is not easy. We did several rounds of alpha testing on almost full servers with Zhitomir but as always once you get a full server other things present themselves. More work is involved with packaging up each release to get it sent out to the community. Cutting some of that down while presenting the other server admins a more stable product never hurts. This is not to slight the other server admins but rather give the mappers the extra testing they need so that the most balanced map can be put out.

As for those that already download the map, once it is released to a wider audience or if an update is made as soon as they connect to the server they'll get the updated file so I don't see the isssue there.

Upvote 0
As for those that already download the map, once it is released to a wider audience or if an update is made as soon as they connect to the server they'll get the updated file so I don't see the isssue there.

Correct! That works the same way with every server out there offering the map. I expect there will be plenty. A "Limited Beta" is exclusionary which is relatively offensive to Server Admins who are supportive by carrying all your AHZ RO maps at this time. That said, this is simply the question... how can it be "limited" on an OPEN SERVER?

By the end of the day, everyone will have the map, ALL Server Admins included. I'd expect to see the map running on other servers almost immediately. 'Nuff said.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mike if you wanna take offense I really don't care. The mapper wished to not release it from the sense of giving out the files so that in the event something needed changed it could quickly be done. In fact later on today we will be releasing the map based on changes that were needed to be made from playing this weekend. Honestly I don't see what the issue is. You complain when maps are horribly unbalanced yet when efforts are made to reduce the propogation of a map before it is ready to reduce that risk you complain again.

The fact of the matter is once a map is out there not all server admins are diligent in updating. Yes someone could download the map by joining our server and put it up on theirs. What I would hope is that if they really want to put it up that bad they'll put the update up as well. Asking for a weekend to work out any bugs in a public setting is not too much for a mapper to ask. You wanna make an issue out of it, fine, you make issues out of everything so it's really nothing new.

Upvote 0
Mike if you wanna take offense I really don't care.

You??? Offend me??? That's a hoot!! Earth to Jakl... We are all in this together, lose the attitude. For your information, I HAVE the files and I might add, have been playing this map from darn near day one. Drecks makes excellent maps. IMHO, this one is so well balanced, it'd spin forever if it was a top. Calm down already. :)

Upvote 0
After making some updates, most notably easier access to the second floor of the basement building for the assaulting Germans, Zhitomir 1941 is now ready for a full Beta release. To those server admins that were patient and let us work out a few bugs, THANK YOU. You can find the ROM file and compressed file in the first post of this thread or by clicking on this

LINK

For those server admins that put Zhitomir on their server before we fully released it, please download the latest version as this contains the map in the form Drecks would like to see tested going forward. Below you'll find a screenshot of the new approach to the basement from the 1917 Monument Park.

Zhitomir is running 24/7 along with TW Beta 2 on After-Hourz #1 (ro1.after-hourz.com)

zhitomir10.jpg

Upvote 0
Had about a 2 hour game on this beastie.

The first 2 rounds we were abysmal - our team just didnt grasp it too well.

Then came to next game

We took the left hand side apartments in minutes then slowly got into basement. After that the right hand side apartment fell in seconds - The church seemed to be the hardest part to cap - we were open to everyone.

Was a bloody meatfest in the church courtyard - Myself and a few players were avin a go over VOIP to get our men into the capzone, which they did :D We proceeded to cap it with minor castualties :rolleyes:

After the bloody church fight we soon took the warehouse area - the russians ran out of reinforcements :)

The following players in the screenshots were awesome - especially Duck for great tactics and AndyB for just mowing them down with the mp41.

I should really join a clan if this is tha gameplay ill expect :D

GREAT MAP!!

EDIT: If any of you players read this add my xfire - thorps

Last edited:
Upvote 0