• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Resistance and Liberation, WW2 HL2 mod "most realistic experience possible".

Lol was on a server some guy wanted to "surrender" and for us not to shoot him then got pissed when we did and kept spamming "Where's the teamplay?"

????
LOL yeah that's a very strange feature of the RnL community. There is a distinct group of people that want to role play more than actually play the game. It's hilarious when people want to surrender, as it has absolutely NO practical value other than being "teh cool cuz u cant do taht in zomgCoD" ...

I usually just mercilessly murder said people, right after giving them hope that I'll take them in LOL.

:cool:

Upvote 0
I remember when you and FedEx pope were frequent forum posters on the RnL forums.

Having said that, I, too, was a huge fanboy of the mod. Then I found out the HL2 engine is antiquated and can't deliver those things we gamers now want from games: larger maps, more amenities and increased player count in MP.

Yeah unfortunately, most of the original dev team left and were replaced with total douche bags. Who really aren't that good. Any criticism is dismissed immediately, or branded unappreciative. I played last summer some, but its really not that impressive of a game. Especially when you have Red Orchestra as a benchmark. I rue the day when any of the new devs get actual jobs, like Geoff did (the original lead animator, he left to work on that Ghostbusters game, not sure what he's done beyond that though).

And the way the developers gush about their own mod in their 'trailer' makes me sick, really. They claim the attention to detail in terrain and environment has never been done in a WWII game based in Normandy before...really? Let's just ignore BiA. And the IRC channel died when the original devs left and the new guys had zero interest in it. It was a really fun channel, that one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have to agree with EvilAmerican. I was banned from their forums agees ago which was round the time all the original developers seemed to be leaving, even then there were a quite a few downright arseholes surrounding that mod. It was getting fairly bad back when I posted there and if its gotten worse since then, can't really blame the original devs for jumping ship.

I really enjoyed the first releases, but since 1.5 its gone downhill and seems to have lost its direction. As you say, its not really that impressive a game these days and with RO2 about to be released, there's less and less point playing it.

Upvote 0
I have to agree with EvilAmerican. I was banned from their forums agees ago which was round the time all the original developers seemed to be leaving, even then there were a quite a few downright arseholes surrounding that mod. It was getting fairly bad back when I posted there and if its gotten worse since then, can't really blame the original devs for jumping ship.

I really enjoyed the first releases, but since 1.5 its gone downhill and seems to have lost its direction. As you say, its not really that impressive a game these days and with RO2 about to be released, there's less and less point playing it.
As a long time RnL supporter, I have to agree with you -- the attitudes on the dev team a couple years ago were really out of control. I was a part of the first beta testing team, and I have to say that I have never seen such an incompetent organization job in my life. Not only were they totally disorganized and had their priorities mixed up, but many on the team were extremely hostile to the testers giving any kind of feedback.

Eventually it became quite lulzy, as they actually ended up banning/kicking off almost EVERY SINGLE TESTER from the team, just because they didn't like people telling them there were issues with the game. It's a miracle I didn't get kicked off, despite them banning many of my friends who were great testers and great people. After that whole mess I just got disenchanted and stopped playing. Furthermore, 1.5 was basically a totally broken release ... largely due to the fact that they never used their testing team. LOL it was a complete surprise to the team when they released 1.5 ... we hadn't even done any bug testing on the orange box build yet!

So where as I tip my hat at the devs for successfully releasing 1.6 which fixes alot of issues, I totally understand why many people were put off by the developers and some of the community for the game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The thing was there were jerks on the original team (two of the coders, one which I had issues with when I was in the Hostile Intent community and he was on that dev team). But the thing was, they got things done. And in testing sessions everything was peachy. We'd even kid around in Vent but there were a few times where they'd piss me off with their callousness. But eventually I figured all coders go insane and get a short fuse, having to go through code day in and day out :p

Upvote 0
No, but I've played Resistance and Liberation.

haha, I'm ok with this. Besides Pile, since its a mod and not a retail game, of course RO is going to be a more legitimate claim to the title of this thread. Or are we going to now throw out what you said before because now its inconvenient?

Last edited:
Upvote 0