• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Code [REQUEST] Local Voice Chat Mutator?

Unfortunately, I don't see a huge amount of communication in this game, so I thought in ways that it could be helped along a bit. So here's an idea:

"Local Voice Chat mutator".
Player holds down a push-to-talk key, and their voice is broadcast as a 3D positional sound object, so players in the vicinity can hear them talk. There is this feature in the Project Reality mod for Battlefield 2 and it is fantastic for quick tactical communication.

I'm not sure if this is possible or not - I was about to have a look around, but I can't launch my editor at the moment (insta-crash) so there are a few things I wouldn't be able to check out.

Is this a possibility?

I would say "YES!!!"

Check out this site about malipulating sounds:
[url]http://www.gatheral.co.uk/blogs/udk/[/URL]

The unreal engine is very robust and replication streamlined for net play. IMO adding this feature is within the realm of a mutator. Be cool to append some new animation (waving/pointing) that would aid in no verbal battlefield communication as well.

I won't be easy spawning the correct actors, attaching them to the correct players, and passing the voice data on line. There's some walls preventing "extra" net traffic that will need to be broken down. A clear understanding of how VOIP works will be needed. Programs like Team Speak and battlefield communicator have open source code that may help (I think). Steam has its own voice applet for online, integration of it may be the best, adding the 3d attenuation for "local" in game chat.

I'm not much of a code guy, otherwise I'd throw in some hours to help.

Upvote 0
A mutator is, obviously, limited to manipulating UnrealScript.

The VOIP system is done almost entirely in the executable and has very limited script logic. Pretty much by definition, a mutator can't do much with it.

I have an aversion to using the word "impossible", because you can accomplish a great many things by using a toolkit as large as UE's in clever ways, but this? This is impossible.

However.

The more I look at it, the more it looks like there's a few different routes to try to hack together a poor approximation of proximity VOIP. Hrm. This looks interesting, I may have to tinker with it in a few weeks.

Upvote 0