• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map [RELEASE] RO-RedSquare Beta1

Plattfuss

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 17, 2006
Germany
www.pzdf-clan.de
rsban.jpg

I

Last edited:
Might want to make sure you test this map for performance. I believe that bsp was there for a reason. During testing without it we had some testers with horrible performance.

Also if this is a new version of the MG mut it won't be on the whitelist of achievement mutators. Xienen will need a link to it to check it out.

Upvote 0
@Yoshiro from EH:

With regard to performance and my understanding of it, the BSP blocks serve only to occlude network actors, such as players. It should be noted that, due to the low level combat which takes place on the map, that it is almost an impossibility for any players to be above the (now lowered) blocks, or, if they are, the line of sight for any player behind one such BSP block would be obscured and the BSP would do its job.

If optimization and performance are in the interests of TWI, then perhaps seeing to it that the building mesh interiors are removed would be a good first step. What you are dealing with now is what amounts to almost twice as many triangles as you normally have had, provided the "all the windows are boarded up" look is what is in style. If players can only see the facades of the buildings, than little else aside from the facades need be rendered. There are walls with opposite sides and some fully fleshed out buildings. Putting BSP over it only covers that up, it should still be able to render as when one part of a static mesh is rendered, the entirety is.

If there so exists a performance issue with Red Square, I may set aside some time to make this correction. Naturally though, having also been a beta tester for the map, I was not able to compile and convey whatever findings I had made, for reasons that should be well known at this point.

Furthermore, should the updated (I should say fixed) MG Mod be added to the whitelist, I would expect to see the same treatment administered to the new skins and uniforms (being as my M43 releases are okay apparently) as they are little more than aesthetics and cannot alter gameplay mechanics.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As long as we get copies of the .u files and Xienen says they are ok I don't see why he wouldn't add them to the white list. But the white list update will not happen for some time.

As to the map situation all I know is we had to throw in some more optimizations after we got it back from Guppy due to some testers reporting frame rate issues. I hadn't seen the map for many months and don't remember what has been changed since it left TWI till it came back for testing. And I'm not sure but I think EH might be able to PM still. Beyond that, he broke the rules, and instead of apologizing, all I saw were rants about how he should be above the rules and too valuable to ban (the ironic bit here is ex team members have been banned).

Upvote 0