• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Region Question

If one were to try to get the best ping possible for a server for typically North America, the server would probably be located in a Central area for both east and west sides to get reasonable pings correct?

If this is true, what is a good location I could set up shop in the EU that would get the best ping, I've seemed from the past that maybe the UK would be a good idea, but as of lately, I'm being told that the latency to the United Kingdom can cause some strain on some connections. I'm trying to set up where it can be 'Centralized', so that while a handful will get lucky with modest pings, those that are on 'The other side of the planet' will get their fair share, at least and then some.

So far...have these choices, and three others that would require serious...set up
Code:
London, UK
Amsterdam, NL
Paris, France
Denmark
Madrid, Spain
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Frankfurt, DE
Milan, Italy
Warsaw, Poland
Moscow, Russia <(Someone made a Soviet Russia joke, and I almost picked this, except Russia hasn't been Soviet since 1991)
Tokyo, Japan
Sydney, Australia
Cape Town, South Africa
Johannesburg, South Africa
Adelaide, Australia
And I just realized, that while I intend no discouragement for countries all the way out there....that Aussie and islands alike will get horrible connections ANY where I set up except if it was closer to them, being on the shore, than in the midland, am I right to assume this? Any help appreciated.

My understanding is Frankfurt (FFM), DE, is a very large network pop, so it might be a solid bet if you can't find some place specific by perfermance metrics.

(Once you have a service provider selected for hosting, you should see if you can get some of the Europeans here to give you some traceroute/ping tests to some of their demo servers.. that would at least give you a very solid understanding of what you're likely to get from the Euro server market).

Reactions: starxpilot
Upvote 0
what countries do you want to offer to it all depends on that. European people are generally very picky about ping. Any ping over 100 and if they have the option they wont play on it.

Yeah pretty much, ping is one thing, obviously i would get better ping to a Danish server than one located in Germany.

But Language is also an issue, as in, we don't all speak the same one here unlike in the USA, and many German and French people don't speak English terribly well (and some not at all), and that does present a challenge in a teamplay based game.

Reactions: starxpilot
Upvote 0
what countries do you want to offer to it all depends on that. European people are generally very picky about ping. Any ping over 100 and if they have the option they wont play on it.
Lol I've noticed this, pisses me off really, you gotta give up somethings in return but then again, there are some servers where its near impossible to play because of the lag
For the "other side of the planet" option i'd go with somewhere in america.
I have two in Central North America, meaning in the middle of USA, I don't think KF is that popular down thar...in Central America and South but I do get the occasional ones and they don't seem to mind the lag.
Yeah pretty much, ping is one thing, obviously i would get better ping to a Danish server than one located in Germany.

But Language is also an issue, as in, we don't all speak the same one here unlike in the USA, and many German and French people don't speak English terribly well (and some not at all), and that does present a challenge in a teamplay based game.
Hopefully, they all speak some similar language, even if its not English, if not, then its gonna become very popular for 'The most RQs in any one server'.
Europeans and North Americans always get lots of servers at their disposal, it's the South Americans and Aussies/Kiwis that need more :D
Ye, but is KF that high in Demand? That's what I'm considering too...
I can vouch for NL too. Northern and Eastern Europe gets very good pings from there as well.
NL? Hrmm....so got Germany, France and now NL...

Upvote 0
Almost certain to get better customer support and better English skills from techs than the French option if you do.

Go with the NL option and you may have the humiliation of finding the techs have better English skills than you :D

Also French & German, then Spanish and a few other dialects, just for good measure.

I have found the Dutch to be very linguistic.

Upvote 0
I have two in Central North America, meaning in the middle of USA, I don't think KF is that popular down thar...in Central America and South but I do get the occasional ones and they don't seem to mind the lag.

I've heard that in the South there's quite a following.

In fact, KF-ARG has made a few muts and have a few clans, so i'd estimate the number of Americans playing to be significant.

I've frequently heard stories of 1 English-speaking player amongst a cohesive(?) team of 5 Brazilians/Argentinians. They either work really well or terribly since they cannot communicate or learn from English-speaking players.

Upvote 0
I've heard that in the South there's quite a following.

In fact, KF-ARG has made a few muts and have a few clans, so i'd estimate the number of Americans playing to be significant.

I've frequently heard stories of 1 English-speaking player amongst a cohesive(?) team of 5 Brazilians/Argentinians. They either work really well or terribly since they cannot communicate or learn from English-speaking players.
LOL. In this world, nothing's impossible.

Server overseas will be up soon though, hopefully this friday :p

Upvote 0