• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Racho Shotgun: Buckshot & Slug Modes, Without Separate Ammo

Azukki

Grizzled Veteran
  • Jul 7, 2009
    Shotguns with slugs and buckshot get suggested for KF2 pretty often, but managing two supplies of ammo and reloading whenever you want to switch in a conventional shotgun could be a little bit of a hassle for players, and maybe devs. But there's a concept for a high tech solution that Horzine could use to make the two modes use the same ammo, and be switched between without reloading.

https://patents.google.com/patent/WO2007120180A1/en

The shells are slugs made of buckshot pellets bonded together with a special epoxy. For slug mode, the shell is fired as-is, one projectile. For buckshot mode, the shotgun is equipped with a device which can disbond the epoxy in the chambered shell using an electric current, so when the shell is fired, the pellets spread apart.

Horzine could apply this concept to almost any shotgun, any that fires from a closed bolt. (AA12 being one of few exceptions)
    I'd suggest something real but modern/futuristic looking to match the idea, maybe a Kel Tec KS7, Monolith P-12, or SRM 1216.

For sights, a modified EoTech could be a good fit: you get just the dot with no circle in slug mode, and you get just the circle with no dot in buckshot mode. The circle's diameter would correlate to the buckshot spread, and get smaller if you have support's tight choke skill active.

The Racho could be a crossperk between support and sharp, with support getting full benefits in buckshot mode and sharp getting full benefits in slug mode. If needed for balance, some perk benefits might not apply while in the 'wrong' mode.

Last edited:
    Actually nice idea.
    Either to have a full blow shot into a big zeds head, or have it switched to buck for a bit more crowd control.

One thing i would not be a fan is cross perking a weapon that was never designed as a marksman weapon.
    + the suggested weapon designs already look like hsg-1 or hz12 that we already have :D (one straight up looks like a crossbreed of a p90 lmao)

Upvote 0
    Pretty much the KSG-12 from the first game then? Well... functionally-speaking, of course !

I'd dig that. That's something we've seen once or twice on these forums, but I always back it up. My only potential issue is that it could make the support even more versatile that he already is. I mean... One of the biggest drawback of his arsenal is that you need to be up-close and personal to deal any decent amount of damage. With slugs, you could pretty much snipe zeds from afar just as effectively as a sharpie !

Upvote 0
    Aleflippy;n2334348 said:
    Pretty much the KSG-12 from the first game then? Well... functionally-speaking, of course !

I'd dig that. That's something we've seen once or twice on these forums, but I always back it up. My only potential issue is that it could make the support even more versatile that he already is. I mean... One of the biggest drawback of his arsenal is that you need to be up-close and personal to deal any decent amount of damage. With slugs, you could pretty much snipe zeds from afar just as effectively as a sharpie !

Only that the slugs would still be projectile and if its already sometimes difficult to shoot a side moving target with normal buckshot, it would present challenge shooting a zed with a slug.... Especially when quite further away zeds love to zig zag.

give slug a slower projectile speed because of its mass and you effectively nerf support the ability to be a marksman :D

Upvote 0
    Looking at images from the side of them unloaded, the suggested host weapons do look a bit like the HZ12, but when animated with their different forms of reloading, and with the dot/circle optic suggested, any of them would be visually differentiated enough, I think.

Upvote 0