• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

3D & Animation Questions Regarding Maya Export Settings for Rigging and Thirdperson meshes

IIBEHEMOTHII

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 19, 2017
Hi there, im currently doing alot of workshop zeds for the community and i would like to know working Maya Setting for FBX export, whenever i import the FBX file into KF-SDK it either crashes upon telling me i have an outdated version of the FBX "which states that my version is higher than the SDK version" OR it just simply tells me "Import Failed" when i export 3dp weapon meshes in blender, Firstperson rigs work flawlessly but not thirdperson

hope i can get some info :)

We export all of our assets from 3ds Max (2015). The settings we use for export are below:
Geometry: Smoothing Groups, Triangulate, and Preserve Edge Orientation all on (all others off)
Animation: off
Cameras, Lights, Embed: all off
Units: Automatic
Up Axis: Y-up
FBX File Format: Binary, FBX 2013

It should definitely be possible to export in Maya as well (We've done so on a few occasions, from Maya 2015, when it was more convenient), except of course, that you would turn off Smoothing Groups and turn on Tangents and Binormals (since Maya doesn't support smoothing groups).

We suspect the issue is related to the FBX version. If you're using a recent version of Maya, by default it's probably exporting to a much more recent version of FBX than is supported by UDK.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the answer Yoshiro! That answer was Godsent :D ,
I'll just stick to maya because rigging is super comfortable for me over there :) , but ilI try to use your info provided and will report back when I can :)

Thanks again , hopefully that resolves my workflow and lets me push custom content for everyone to use <3

Upvote 0