• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

question

I have to ask what games you play then? Because pretty much any game beside a few Indy games in the last 5 years have been on steam. Is it because you think its DRM? Most MP games have you log in before you start play BC2, WOW even Minecraft. Resource hog? I don't think I have had it act up on me in over 3 years. For all the benefits its has with auto updates,chat,easily join severs with friends,sales and fast redownloads. I am not seeing why anyone can't at least use steam to get a game access to some many games.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't think I'll ever understand the irrational hatred towards steam that some people have.

Personally, I almost exclusively use Steam to buy games and will avoid titles that are not available through it.

RO:HOS is currently the only game that I can think of where I would make an exception (and I don't have to! :)).

Reactions: Miro!
Upvote 0
RO was the first game I bought on Steam....the first reason I ever installed Steam to begin with. It's not bad. It's not a resource hog, it's way more stable than it used to be (I gather) and all-in-all it's a great way to buy games.

If that's your sole reason for NOT buying ROHoS, then you will truly be missing out on an epic great time. In fact, YOU ALREADY ARE.

Upvote 0
give some credit to Steam

give some credit to Steam

I love Steam!
I am living in China for 5 years now and without Steam, I would have such a limited access to games that I would probably have lost my hobby.
Of course, illegal copies of all games are available for a much cheaper price and it's indeed possible to play COD MW online with a faked version on chinese servers (not that I would play COD but I know it's possible). BUT, thanks to steam, I can buy most games that I want upon release date and the auto-update function, friends list etc. are just nice inclusions of Steam.
Thanks to Steam I am able to play Arma 2 on global servers as for this game, the Chinese version that I know cannot connect to global servers and doesn't support a MP at all.
Only thing I am afraid of is that Steam could limit access to servers to it's origin country where the account is logging in from. No offense to the Chinese RO community ( I know some of them), but their style of playing the game is different than it is on US servers. And I am not talking about cheats being activated or sth...

Upvote 0
Theb only reason I can think of is the sp aspect of steam. Mainly the offline mode (you have to be online to get offline working.

Since I have no internet for 7 weeks now (finally I am connected, they haven't sent the router yet...) I experienced this aspect a lot.
I never experienced any issues with steam regarding to memory or performance, not more than winamp or something.

But when you have internet I don't know any reason not to go through steam.
- Friends (chat/server/community groups etc.)
- Autoupdates, dlc download, mod download, graphic (ATI) drivers, all in the same place
- redownload (I can show a friend a game, I bought, on his own pc:p)
- Sales, especially free weekends and midweek madnesses (GTAIV for 7 euros a few months after release... just as one example of al the sales I bought)
- Download at 00:01. Also not all games reach retail stores everywhere.
- Indie game support; hordes of (also bad) indie games, but love to buy a 1 euro game which suddenly appears to be much more fun than a 50euro game (kuchCODkuch).
- Add non-steam game; just to mention, also non-steam games work fine through steam (even in-game overlay)
- in-game overlay.

blablabla.. (jeez must look a bit like a fanboy thread:D)

So when you have a stable internet connection, why not?

Upvote 0
i read the faq, and the fact sheet topic

Im wondering if this game will require steam, or will it be seperate from steam?
If it requires steam i'm not buying it, this is why i am asking.

Kinda sad to see you go down that route mate, especially since i've just witness half the IL2 community go bananas (the new one will require steam). A lot of the negative aspects regarding steam that people keep mention is sadly just bs and made up paranoia, lot of false negativity from folks who've never even tried it and live too much in the past.

Whilst certain things can be negative with steam, the positive far outweighs them, both from the developers and the players point of view, not to mention the great amount of publicity that niche products like this will get :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i read the faq, and the fact sheet topic

Im wondering if this game will require steam, or will it be seperate from steam?
If it requires steam i'm not buying it, this is why i am asking.

Care to explain what can possibly be so bad with Steam to prevent you from buying such a good game? (and other good games)

BTW, I also hated it at first. The main reasons being, that if Steam closes one day, I would lose all the games I bought. That and the whole "they are corporate assholes who wants to control your life, OMG 1984!!" paranoid way of thinking.

Steam doesn't look like is gonna close anytime soon. Since they seem to be one of the most profitable businesses ever. And even if they did... I'd think: Ok, I probably have played more than 1000 hours of RO. (I think I spent like 30€ at the time)

So, If Steam bankrupted and closed... were those 1000+ hours of RO fun worth 30€? Absolutely yes! (hell, I've spent more than that in a horrible lunch at a restaurant)
Would have it been better to not buy it at all, and miss the game just because of the possibility of losing it in the future? Hell no!

As a curious note. I have lost several non-steam games, due to faulty or broken DVDs. I've yet to loose a Steam game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0