• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Question about hosting a server in KF2 via dedicated or rented server?!

ktn21

FNG / Fresh Meat
May 18, 2020
Hello,

I wanted to ask some help about hosting a server in Killing Floor 2.

I wanted to host a online server, where I could play custom maps with my friends. So I rented a server from the site called: ZAP-Hosting.com. But I don't quite understand how the game hosting works when you have a rented or dedicated server (KF2Server.bat).
I wanted to ask a few questions regarding that:

1) First of all I would like to know, if my rented server is up and running, does it appear on the server list in the game? or I have to connect to it by opening console: "open (server ip)"? or where does the server appear?

2) Question about the rented server: I'm renting a server from this site called: "ZAP-Hosting.com". But I guess the settings are almost the same also on the other sites. How do you change the difficulty, map, waves etc? Do you have to open the config file on the server site and then edit the settings there?

3) If I can't see my server in the server list and can't connect to it by console. Then I probably have to open some ports in my router page?

4) When hosting a dedicated server: I have to open the KF2Server.bat, and go to the webadmin page (where I can change the map and all the server settings). And my server should pop up on the kf2 servers list? Or where do I see it/ How can I connect to it?

I'm very grateful for all the support you can give me.

Thank you in advance,
Chris M

1 / Your server should be visible in the server list in game. If it is not, they probably have not opened/forwarded the proper ports on their side. You need to contact the support of your hosting company.

2 / In theory you should stop your server first, then edit the configuration files manually, and start the server with new settings. Some server hosting allow to change some startup setting so you may check if you have some control interface you could maybe set the default startup parameters for the map/length/difficulty/gamemode..

3 / If you try to connect to a server you rent then you shouldn't have to open anything in particular, unless you have a very specific network at home. If you can't connect this is most likely because it is not working or not accessible from internet (and it is your hosting company who should fix that). For self hosted server yes you need to open and forward all the ports the server use (minimum game port and query port), default ones are listed on the WIKI.

4 / If you host your own server, then you have to make sure to open and forward the ports the server use in your router to the machine hosting the server for it to appear and work online. Read the WIKI about server hosting for the basics first. You can specify parameters in the KF2Server.bat (edit the file with a text editor), this is useful to start the server on different ports for example, or set the difficulty.. You can also have a basic KF2server.bat file and edit the settings from web admin (it usually needs to change map for settings to take effects then).

Reactions: Unikpetite
Upvote 0