• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

QUESTION: About Advanced Helicopter Physics

GorlamiG

Nov 7, 2018
I've been flying with Advanced Helicopter Physics pretty much since day 1, but I wonder, does this option alter anything else other than the control style of the collective?

It seems to me from looking at some other pilots videos where they were flying with the basic mode, their RPMs and air speed seem to bleed a lot less during turns and such, compared to what I'm used to with Advanced turned on.

It does add more simulated physics effects to the flight model, but I don't recall them all offhand. Will see if I can find somebody who knows and get you an answer back.

Update: Answered in comment from internal documentation early on. There may be some changes from these in the current version of the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: GorlamiG
Upvote 0
1. The Collective: This is the obvious one. In Advanced Mode the collective goes from auto-centring to incremental. This gives players finer control over their altitude and speed and makes it easier to control the approach for a landing, as well as to maintain level flight at lower speeds (without ETL causing a constant increase in altitude).

2. Effective Translational Lift (ETL): This is something that applies when you are moving faster than 16kts / 8m/s. You receive bonus lift, up to a maximum of 25% extra, the faster you go, up to 45kts / 23m/s, at which point the bonus is capped no matter how much faster you go. In Advanced mode, this bonus applies all the time. In Simplified mode, this bonus is reduced when the player lowers the collective. At 0 collective, they receive 0 ETL. The benefits to a Simple mode player are that they can hold the "down" key and descend at a faster (and consistent) rate, while still getting the additional lift when taking off from an LZ/doing a strafing run. This also makes the approach for landing more predictable and constant. However the big trade off is that without that bonus lift, when the Simple mode player starts taking engine/rotor damage they will find that descending is suddenly a lot faster than it used to be and if the engine gets completely knocked out, they will not be able to autorotate effectively.

3. Ground Effect: Advanced Mode uses it, Simple Mode does not. So, what is Ground Effect? The simplest, scientifically-inaccurate-but-good-enough-for-here explanation I can give for Ground Effect is that it's a phenomenon where the close proximity of the ground interferes with the downwash airflow. Normally that airflow would cause lots of drag on the rotor, but when it's messed up by the terrain, that drag is reduced considerably, which upsets the lift/drag balance in favour of lift. i.e. You basically get more lift for the same amount of power and collective. My in game handling is based in reality, but the calculations are very simple, to get the general effect without all the complex physics. Basically, if your altitude is lower than 1.25x the diameter of your rotor, in whatever helicopter you're flying, then you get a boost to lift. That boost is calculated on a curve. The max boost you get is 30% extra, and that applies at an altitude of 0. At an altitude of 0.25% of the rotor diameter, that boost has already dropped to half of the max (i.e. 15%). At half the rotor diameter, you get a little under a quarter of the max and at three quarters diameter you're all the way down to 10% of the max. That drop continues all the way to 1.25x diameter, after which you get 0 bonus lift.

Advanced players however can use this to fly at low altitude on a greatly reduced collective. It also provides a cushioning effect when coming in to land, helping slow the helicopter incrementally as it approaches the ground, which allows Advanced players to descend more rapidly, but then to use a combination of a late flare, ETL and Ground Effect to arrest their descent rapidly and still land softly. When combined with ETL, it's also a key component of flying while damaged. A combination of rotor and engine damage can reduce the max lift to levels where the helicopter cannot fly. However in Advanced mode, Ground Effect can boost the lift enough to get airborne a meter or 2, then with some gentle acceleration, ETL allows the helicopter to gain altitude and fly away despite being too damaged for a Simple mode player to move. The Advanced player can then return to base for a repair.

Upvote 0
For reference, the correct method of auto-rotation is as follows:
  • i) As soon as the engine dies, immediately lower the collective all the way down. If you don't, the rotor will rapidly decelerate and stop producing lift. If the RPM gets too low, you won't be able to get it up again before you crater
  • ii) If you don't have any forward momentum, get some. Lower the nose (but not too far, or you'll start to lose rotor RPM) and pick up speed. You need to aim for 40-60 knots. Any lower and you won't be getting enough ETL (which you need to slow your descent while you've got no collective), any higher and you'll have too much momentum when you get to the ground. Once you reach that speed bracket, pull the nose back up so that you're almost level. You should only need a slight downward angle to maintain the right speed.
  • iii) Find a safe landing spot and aim for it. If that requires a turn, do it slowly and gently or you'll undo all your hard work. Maintain your lowered collective and airspeed. If you've reacted quickly enough and done things correctly, you'll be gliding at a gentle and very survivable descent speed (in case you stuff it up when you get to the ground).
  • iv) As you approach the ground, around 15-20m altitude, flare (pull the nose up) to bleed off speed and momentarily increase lift. Smoothly apply collective at around the ~10m mark to give a quick blast of lift to cushion your landing. Ground Effect will be helping here so don't just jam the collective to full or you'll shoot back up into the air again. Once you start raising the collective, the rotor RPM will nose dive, so you likely won't get a second chance at this.
  • v) Once your descent speed has dropped to around 4m/s. gently lower the collective again and you should touch down softly. If you still have forward momentum, that's totally fine. You can slide to a stop if you've chosen a suitable landing area. Your helo has skids, that's what they're there for. In fact, if you also have damaged rotor blades, then a slide is the only way you're going to land safely, because a full flare to bleed off speed will kill your ETL and without that you won't be able to control your landing. Better to touch down softly at 25kts or so and slide to a stop.

Upvote 0