• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

QOL: Invisible Walls, and Rudimentary Parkour

ImDylsexic

Jun 9, 2018
This is a seemingly small change that I believe would make a huge difference in game feel. In general, invisible walls in games feel clunky and dated. Sadly, despite Killing Floor’s maps being one of the game’s strong points, almost all of them are plagued by invisible walls.

To be clear, I’m referring to any area in the game in which it looks as if the player should be able to walk/jump their way into it, but for whatever reason cannot. This is especially an issue for me due to inconsistency: in some maps you can climb on top of cars, jump over railings, or even parkour on top of trucks. In others, even a pile of refuse on the ground is an impassible obstacle.

My suggestion is this:
-For all ledges from about the player’s head height to their waist, add a mechanic and animation allowing players to jump, grab the ledge, and pull themselves up. This would be done by aiming the cursor in the general vicinity of the ledge and hitting the jump button.

-For all ledges below the player’s waist, allow the player to simply jump on top of it. This is already the case in many areas, but it should be consistent throughout the game.

-Add a new animation and mechanic that allows players to jump and slide over certain obstacles such as countertops, tables, and the hoods of cars. This would be done by pressing the jump button while walking/running into the object.

-Add a new animation and mechanic that allows players to vault right over certain obstacles, primarily railings and other thin objects. This is effectively the same as the slide and is executed the same way, but for surfaces too narrow to allow/justify sliding.

Personally, I think these changes would bring this game to a whole new level of polish while facilitating a new layer of depth to map making.

Last edited: