• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Ping Pong Tanks?

I love RO and the realism they put in with the armored combat, however I feel that the bounces were a bit exaggerated. I hate when all you hear is *tink* when you shoot at a weak russian tank from a heavy german tank. I don't suggest taking it out completely, but I hope that it isn't like RO1 where the rounds seem to bounce off russian aromor from anything but frontal hits... In Darkest Hour I feel the tank combat is much more realistic and fun. The german armor is strong but isn't invincible, and you don't hear bounces all that often.

Hopefully with the new damage system that they've added to the tank combat, it has eliminated what I've talked about. Tank combat is my favorite part of RO so i'm looking forward to hearing more about it. :IS2:

Well, considering every shell that didn't penetrate bounced, or shattered to pieces when it bounced, I don't quite see the issue with bouncing tank rounds. Tank rounds don't disappear, and I assure you a round going faster than the speed of sound hitting a metal vehicle directly will make a big "ping pong" noise.

Sloped armor was supposed to bounce the shell... that was the whole point of it. You want it to be less realistic? The bouncing noise does need to be redone, and I'd love to hear some blood chilling metallic sounds.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
funny thing beacuse no matter how unrealistic RO1 tanking was, I have seen people being so accustomed to RO ping pong tanking regardless, perfectly angling their tank and whatnot.
Perhaps after RO2 release someone should make a mutator just like the Armored Beast mutator, with the difference that this time it turns tanking into a good old ping pong :) so the tank players from RO1 actually can feel very comfortable while playing tanks. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, considering every shell that didn't penetrate bounced, or shattered to pieces when it bounced, I don't quite see the issue with bouncing tank rounds. Tank rounds don't disappear, and I assure you a round going faster than the speed of sound hitting a metal vehicle directly will make a big "ping pong" noise.

Sloped armor was supposed to bounce the shell... that was the whole point of it. You want it to be less realistic? The bouncing noise does need to be redone, and I'd love to hear some blood chilling metallic sounds.

i agree... but the point is that far too many shells bounced in RO1, as in... far too few penetrated the armor.

Upvote 0

RO:Ost's penetration model was far from realistic. Angling and sloped armour was far too effective, and even lightly armoured tanks like the T-60 or the SU-76 managed to bounce KwK 40 and even KwK 42 PzGr.39's under certain conditions.

Reactions: dimitri18
Upvote 0

Well I didn't mean take it out, and the noise doesn't bother me. Hitting a T-34 @ 400m with an 88mm cannon on its broadside and have it bounce does. I understand the concept of sloped aromor, and I understand not everyone penetrated. Just seemed like too many rounds bounced, when it seemed like they would penetrate.

i agree... but the point is that far too many shells bounced in RO1, as in... far too few penetrated the armor.

Exactly how I feel. :cool:

Upvote 0
Firstly, I must admit I do not know a heck of a lot of the precise mechanics of tank armour and shell ballistics. Moreover, I play almost only DH so my comments are really only based on that mod. I assume that sloping armour would make most shells not scoring a hit deflect rather than bounce. That is they would hit, glance off, and continue on a new trajectory. In DH it seems a shell either scores a hit or bounces off, never any true deflection after glancing off armour.

Again, I am no expert, but wouldn't glancing deflections and the shell continuing on a new trajectory be more often the case than a bounce, boop, drop 20m from the tank? On a side note I bounced a P4's AP round off a stuart yesterday :eek:

Upvote 0
Ping pong is real life thing on tanks that are properly aligned. I have seen real WW2 picture of tanks with 10 or more bounces/scars and the IS2 with its heavy and slanted armor is the worst. They only tank you should be having trouble from the Russians is the panther slanted/strong armor front. Only option is putting you self into proper firing position is moving using cover and with grace. skill is the key.

Upvote 0
RO:Ost's penetration model was far from realistic. Angling and sloped armour was far too effective, and even lightly armoured tanks like the T-60 or the SU-76 managed to bounce KwK 40 and even KwK 42 PzGr.39's under certain conditions.

RO:Ost's armour angling was a hell of a lot more difficult than what they had in RO:CA.... the Panzers were easier to angle and deflect shots, T34's were almost always invincible, and the Panther & IS2 were immortal in the game if you didn't get a straight side or back shot..... heck the Panther's front armour couldn't be penetrated straight on with any other tank other than the IS2, so you'd see Panthers just strolling through the battle field with KV1's and T34's firing everything they had at them and nothing happened most times..... while the IS2 could still be taken out if it was a straight on shot.

I loved when on the map Karlovka, I'd take a T34 and cover the Bridge by the house.... I'd have it angled so perfectly, that the only way the germans could take me out was with Arty or if some Engineers/Anti-Tank's flanked from the second bridge..... but if my team knew what they were doing and covered the second bridge, we could easily hold the first caps almost the entire round.

In RO:Ost, they made the Panther much easier to kill, the IS2 is about the same as it was in CA, the T34's have a smaller angle area for deflection and the Panzers are just cardboard boxes on tracks.

If someone knew what they were doing with the tank they were in, of course angling was easy to do.... that was the whole point of having angled armour in the first place..... to save your sorry arse from getting blown up.

In RO:Ost, if a tank is angled and you can't seem to get a good hit on them, aim for the tracks and almost always, you'll blow em out and they're stuck..... then move around to a better angle and toast em.

You could also take a sharper angled shot away from the angle towards the edge of the tank and closer to the ground.... it might still deflect, but it usually doesn't deflect very far and commonly explodes almost in the same spot you hit and can still produce damage to the tank. You might have to hit them a number of times, but you'll eventually see smoke and then fire..... if so, then just keep firing in that spot.

I always wished one of those shells could bounce and nail some infantry standing on the side of it or something.

Yeah it does happen..... I've splattered a number of enemies near a tank from a deflect or a shell exploding near the tank.

If you have a few enemies using an angled tank for cover and you can't seem to damage the tank, switch to HE rounds and hit the tank again.... you'll usually splatter those troops using it for cover. :cool:

Ping pong is real life thing on tanks that are properly aligned. I have seen real WW2 picture of tanks with 10 or more bounces/scars and the IS2 with its heavy and slanted armor is the worst. They only tank you should be having trouble from the Russians is the panther slanted/strong armor front. Only option is putting you self into proper firing position is moving using cover and with grace. skill is the key.

Indeed, last night I was playing K

Last edited:
Upvote 0

I agree that there were some instances... but not every IS2 or T-34 took 10+ rounds to be killed... now obviously if a Panzer III or IV was shooting an IS2 i'd expect to get some bounces... but if a Tiger hits it in the right spot then boom... most of the time. But also a T34 shrugging off direct hits from an 88mm cannon seems a bit unrealistic to me. No body desputes the fact that tanks do bounce rounds, I agree they do.. but to the amount that happens in RO1 seems a bit exaggerated to me.

Upvote 0
tankangle.jpg

Ok, so this is a very general diagram of angling a tank in RO to save your skin.

• The red areas are areas where you'll take damage easily, if not, an instant kill.

• The Green Areas are where shots will most likely bounce off and cause no damage.

• The Yellow Areas are where you may or may not take damaging from an incoming shell coming in that direction. The shell may still deflect, but you will still take damage... just not as much as if it was a straight on shot.

• The black outlines are where you're turret should be positioned when having an enemy tank directly in your sights, compared to your body's position..... which is what I use almost always to determine my angle and works most times. You may want to move the turret closer to the green area on some tanks, while other tanks should be moved closer to where I have it shown. You can also position the turret in a similar fashion in the rear of the tank, but since you have a better chance of exposing your engine and also not being able to move the tank easily in reverse, this is something I'd only do in an emergency, such as a tank appearing from behind and not having enough time to turn around.

Keep in mind that these angles and safe zones are not exactly the same for all tanks in the game, as for example, a Stug or Panzer's green area will be far more narrow.... the IS2's will be wider, etc.

This is just a basic guideline for you to start with and then you can adjust your positioning based on your own personal experience with each tank..... use this guide in relation to your tank's in-game diagram in the bottom left of the screen.

Practice and enjoy.

Oh and for those wondering.... those red boxes in the original image are where the ammo and engine are located.... hit them with a good shot and you have a dead tank.... check out the other diagrams I provided above from the RO web site and learn where each critical area are located. If you know how to hit these on enemy tanks and if you know how to angle in order to protect them on yours, you'll be a better tanker than most others playing.

Last edited:
Reactions: clambo and sMiTo
Upvote 0