• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Ping Compensation! Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HWG

May 15, 2009
I have seen far too many UE3 based games not take the effort to do this, one, incredibly important thing. Ping Compensation. I have been playing games since the days of DOOM, and when UT'99 rolled out, I was in love with it. But I kept feeling like my shots actually took time to fire, and I couldn't understand why. When I educated myself more and more, I found out that it's because of the terrible server-side only netcode Epic decided to place in their games. Now, I have not bought many a UE3 based game because of the failure to do this action, adding ping compensation. UT 99, UT2k3, 2k4, and UT3 all share a similar / same netcode, and it's driving me crazy.

Please, take the time out of your development schedule to create a netcode similar to what is present in Source, where both the client and server communicate to determine player positions. It's frustrating and at time infuriating to have to lead your target, at point blank range. You factor in the fact that at present, we have ballistic physics, and travel time in the equation, then that's even MORE time your shots have to 'travel' before they hit. It's incredibly gamebreaking for me.

Thank you, and again - do this... it will benefit the gamers and the games longevity in the end.

jjr9mx.gif

Upvote 0
If you really like easy to implement cheats, advantages for high ping players, love to be killed by a bullet shot around a corner by a player you shot some time earlier etc, yes then it is really superior in every way.

There are awesome source based games out there and i love them, but the net code isn't actually their strong side.

I guess we will stay misinformed and do it the client/server way.

Upvote 0
All decision made by the server == monolithic client-server (e.g. Quake).

UE:

.... Unreal introduces into multiplayer gaming a new approach termed the generalized client-server model. In this model, the server is still authoritative over the evolution of the game state. However, the client actually maintains an accurate subset of the game state locally, and can predict the game flow by executing the same game code as the server, on approximately the same data, thus minimizing the amount of data that must be exchanged between the two machines. Servers send information about the world to clients by replicating relevant actors and their replicated properties. Clients and servers also communicate through replicated functions, which are replicated only between the server and the client which owns the Actor on which the function is called. ....

I hope that clears it up.

Upvote 0
Let me clarify what ping compensation scripts do.

They look at your ping and go "okay, so the player is probably actually over here so i'm gonna render him over here instead of where these packets are telling me to render him."

It's guessing where the player will be, with npc's this works fine but depending on the game this can actually make the precise locations of players be more inaccurate then they were before and it's just better to lead your shots.

In other words, it's guessing but a lot of the time it's wrong so people don't use these scripts.

Upvote 0
Actually Lag Compensation is far superior but most people don't think so because they don't understand how it works.

For example, CSS, quite simply the best netcode/hit registration in any FPS.

The problem is that CS1.6 didn't have it so heaps of kids didn't understand it and as a result hated it.

For those who don't understand, this is how it works and the reason it is far superior than the RO way of doing it is simple, you don't have to lead based on ping, you shoot at what is on your screen.

Why people don't like it is that if I have 100 ping and I shoot you, in that one tenth of a second, on your screen, you are around that corner but on my screen I hit you so the server corrects what happens on your screen so it seems like you got around the corner but you didn't, this leads to much crying, see above for case in point.

The bottom line is that lag compensation means you get to shoot at the person on your screen, not shoot at people based on what you ping is.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.