• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Peer-to-peer an option?

C_Gibby

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 18, 2010
Dedicated servers are certainly magical.

However, when I still played KF a lot, I often played with 3-4 people total, and I don't feel like such a number justifies the purchase/renting of a dedicated server. I don't like the idea of paying extra money on a subscription just to play privately with a couple of buddies.

Will simple lobby creation be an option in KF2, kinda like in Left 4 Dead 2 or Payday 2? I'd love an easy way to play with just 1 or 2 people whilst picking a mutator and/or custom map without going through the trouble of hosting a server.

It does set your computer up like a server, yeah. It's also a bit fiddly because it requires the user to do things like port fowarding on their router (which I have no clue about), but in games like L4D or PD2, hosting games is very straightforward as it's nothing more than the creation of a lobby and letting the user select a few things such as maps, difficulty settings, game password, and even mods in the case of L4D.

I'm not saying I'd like to see dedicated servers eradicated, that's stupid. I just want the option for a P2P connection with some degree of support for custom maps and simple mutators.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
While I think listen servers fit this role a bit already (even though they sometimes play considerably differently to dedi -_-) I wouldn't be opposed to P2P option, good for people with slow internet.

Also the port forwarding was because of some feature they never fixed or implemented wasn't it? Some auto-forwarding or something, anyways it needs to be in KF2. Also actually working integration with steam would be nice, where I can click join game without having to copy-paste addresses :rollseyes:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, except for having to figure out how to open the correct ports. ;)
And sometimes that isn't possible. In my case the required ports are apparently blocked by my ISP; even with no router and no firewall it doesn't work. Only way to host a server over the internet is through Hamachi/Tunngle. Other games using Steam MP have no such problem.

Upvote 0