• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server PB Screen Shots Enabled

puggy

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 2, 2011
www.brothersclan.co.uk
Can anyone else confirm that since the PB release your server now lags/spikes every 60 seconds when PB is on medium or high. This occurs for all players, but not at exactly the same instant.

I have tested this on our 3 servers, changing PB from off, medium and high. I have demo recorded the instances and cannot see the lag/spike. I assume it is either the client or server side of PB.

I have checked with one other clan and they have exactly the same issue. I have also joined other servers running PB and they have exactly the same issue.

Please TripWire do something, I dont want to wait weeks before a response!

I noticed is somewhat last night. I wouldn't say it was every 60 seconds. I would guess that PB is now scanning cvars and other things. Perhaps we server admins will need to tweak our pbsv.cfg. Its not uncommon for the default settings to be a little "zealous". You're registered with PBBans. Settings will probably get kicked around in the RO2 forums there.

Upvote 0
Can anyone else confirm that since the PB release your server now lags/spikes every 60 seconds when PB is on medium or high. This occurs for all players, but not at exactly the same instant.

I have tested this on our 3 servers, changing PB from off, medium and high. I have demo recorded the instances and cannot see the lag/spike. I assume it is either the client or server side of PB.

I have checked with one other clan and they have exactly the same issue. I have also joined other servers running PB and they have exactly the same issue.

Please TripWire do something, I dont want to wait weeks before a response!

Have you got PBSSs set to auto? When screenshots are taken they will cause some players to lag, but that is client-side so it should only affect the particular player the PBSS was taken on.

Upvote 0
In some games, you will experience a brief pause during gameplay (lag) while a screen shot is taken. It is client side. The same thing happens to me when I take a fraps screen shot. My screen lags for about 1 second and then it is fine. That is something that Even Balance will have to eventually fix. If Valve does not have a problem taking screen shots, then EB should not either. But, that is another story.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies,

I should have been more specific in my post! The lag/spike is nothing to do with PB Screen shots, its related to the PB update.

Our pb_sv.cfg is not set to auto ss, we have been doing cvar checking for a number of weeks now. This is the testing I have done to date:

1) users reported (individual) lag every 60 seconds on our 3 servers after the PB update.
2) Turned off PB on all servers, issue went away.
3) Turned on PB on all servers, issue returned.
4) Changed PB through off, medium and high and repeated the above steps, issue is active when this version of PB is on.
5) Turned off cvar checking, issue remained
6) Turned off all PB tasks, we use pb to spam rules etc, issue remained.

Connected to many other servers with PB running, they have eaxctly the same lag. Connected to a few servers with PB not running, they have no lag.

This particular lag/spike happens regardless of the number of players etc, and it occurs like clockwork, every 60 seconds. It does not necessarily happen at exactly the same time for all player.

And as I've mentioned, at least one other group/clan have exactly the same issue, it also started after the PB update.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies,

I should have been more specific in my post! The lag/spike is nothing to do with PB Screen shots, its related to the PB update.

Our pb_sv.cfg is not set to auto ss, we have been doing cvar checking for a number of weeks now. This is the testing I have done to date:

1) users reported (individual) lag every 60 seconds on our 3 servers after the PB update.
2) Turned off PB on all servers, issue went away.
3) Turned on PB on all servers, issue returned.
4) Changed PB through off, medium and high and repeated the above steps, issue is active when this version of PB is on.
5) Turned off cvar checking, issue remained
6) Turned off all PB tasks, we use pb to spam rules etc, issue remained.

Connected to many other servers with PB running, they have eaxctly the same lag. Connected to a few servers with PB not running, they have no lag.

This particular lag/spike happens regardless of the number of players etc, and it occurs like clockwork, every 60 seconds. It does not necessarily happen at exactly the same time for all player.

And as I've mentioned, at least one other group/clan have exactly the same issue, it also started after the PB update.

Did you try to modify the PB SS parameters? Size, frequency etc?

Upvote 0
In some games, you will experience a brief pause during gameplay (lag) while a screen shot is taken. It is client side. The same thing happens to me when I take a fraps screen shot. My screen lags for about 1 second and then it is fine. That is something that Even Balance will have to eventually fix. If Valve does not have a problem taking screen shots, then EB should not either. But, that is another story.

Hopefully EvenBalance will take care of this soon, it is Extremely annoying.

In the meantime, I hope my favorite servers turn off PB. With player numbers so low now and BF3, MW3 and Skyrim out, I can't imagine there would be enough cheaters to worry about.

The game pausing like this will annoy me 1000 times more than the chance of encountering a cheater that PB doesn't catch and I'm sure this is the case with most other players :mad:

Upvote 0
For information, our cvar and ss settings are:

pb_sv_CvarFreq 3 //[# of range checks per minute]
pb_sv_CvarLogging 3 //[1=Reg. Log, 2=Var Log, 3=Both, 0=Neither]
pb_sv_CvarWalk 1 //[0=disabled, 1-4=Walk through obtained Cvar lists]
pb_sv_CvarUserPulse 99 //[Frequency to auto-send CvarUser (minutes)]
pb_sv_CvarChangedPulse 99 //[Frequency to auto-send CvarChanged (minutes)]
pb_sv_CQC 1 //[0=No, 1=Yes (default=1)]
pb_sv_LogSync 0 //[0=No, 1=Yes (default=0)]
pb_sv_SsFloor 1 //[Low screenshot filename serial #]
pb_sv_SsCeiling 100 //[High screenshot filename serial #]
pb_sv_SsCmd "" //[Filename of system command to run after screenshots]
pb_sv_SsWidth 320 //[Requested pixel width of remote screenshots]
pb_sv_SsHeight 240 //[Requested pixel height of remote screenshots]
pb_sv_SsXpct 50 //[Percentage across screen for remote screenshots]
pb_sv_SsYpct 50 //[Percentage down screen for remote screenshots]
pb_sv_SsSrate 1 //[Sample Rate for remote screenshots]
pb_sv_SsDelay 0 //[Maximum delay client waits before capturing screenshot]
pb_sv_SsPath "" //[Path where remote screenshots are saved]
pb_sv_AutoSsFrom 60 //[Min # of seconds to wait before requesting next ss]
pb_sv_AutoSsTo 1200 //[Max # of seconds to wait before requesting next ss]
pb_sv_AutoSs 0 //[0=No, 1=Yes (default=0)]
pb_sv_ssLogging 0 //[1=Reg. Log, 2=SS Log, 3=Both, 0=Neither]
pb_sv_ssTimeout 0 //[Seconds]

As I have already mentioned, there is no issue with pb ss, they work fine, and are not currently set to auto. I had also stopped cvar checking, at least the ones we had implemented manually.

Does anyone know what, if any, cvar checking PB may have implemented?

Upvote 0
Someone made a past about getting kicked by PB. Yoshi commented that he had changed is LOD bias (or something). So they are checking for that. But that occured before the update, iirc.

***EDIT***

Hmmm...I just looked at the online manual for RO2 at Evenbalance .

There are no cvar commands listed. pb_sv_CvarFreq or pb_sv_Cvar(anything) are not in the manual for RO2. It could indeed be that any cvars being checked are "hardcoded".

I know from past experiences with running PB servers and cvar checks that quite often players would experience very similar symptons as those being spoken about now. I'll have to change my stance about tweaking the pbsv.cfg file.....From what the manual indicates, server admins have very limited tweaks they can perform.

Upvote 0
Another thing I noticed, the news on http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=support-hos.php states:

News and Release Notes for PunkBuster for
Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad

Monday 11.14.2011 [3:45PM]

Version 2.280 of the PB Client for HOS has been released to our PB Master Servers for auto-update and to our website download page. This is a maintenance release.

The logs from our servers show...
around 11/14/11 22:27:47
[36001.72] Log: PunkBuster Server: Running PB Scheduled Task (slot #1) pb_sv_ver
[36001.72] Log: PunkBuster Server: PunkBuster Server for HOS (v1.837 | A1372 C2.278) Enabled

around 11/14/11 22:29:34
[36123.86] Log: PunkBuster Server: PunkBuster Server for HOS (v1.837 | A1372 C2.280) Enabled

As I've said in other posts, nothing has changed on our server, yet these 60 second lag spikes, started immediately after the PB update. I assume the part on the left hand side is the server version and the right hand side is the client version?

(v1.837[/COLOR] | A1372 C2.280)

This means the spikes are on the client, but only occur when you connect to a server with PB enabled? Would love if someone could/would confirm this? Or at least pass it on to someone who might? And then maybe possibly fix it?

Turned off PB on all our servers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0