• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Pay for dlc?

Pay for dlc?

• I would pay for DLC in a heartbeat!

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • Depending on the price and the content provided I dont mind paying for dlc.

Votes: 40 46.5%
  • I would never pay for dlc!

Votes: 18 20.9%

• Total voters

Nekrage

Grizzled Veteran
May 15, 2009
Hey guys, the point of this post is to see how many of you guys would actually pay for dlc. In a previous post where i did nothing but complain to TWI :) a dev replied and said that they release FREE updates. Im NOT asking for FREE updates...I would actually rather pay for an update than receive a free one. Now I say this because I assume a dlc that you must pay for would have SUBSTANTIALLY more content than a free one. In the post the dev also included that because they are indeed a small company its hard for them to work on more than one project...if this is the case I dont think its a smart business move for a small company to release constant free updates. I mean we all know the point of having a company is to make money! So to make us happy and of course TWI happy I believe pay for dlc would be great!

Im asking for everyone to express your opinion and PLEASE VOTE on the poll. Perhaps TWI will release pay for dlc in the future if they see the community wouldnt mind paying for a GOOD update/dlc. Serious replies only please.

dlc= Downloadable Content

P.S. Please also include in your replies what you think a reasonable price for dlc would be. I personally dont mind dropping anywhere from 5 to 20 bucks...depending on the update in content of course.

Again please take this seriously this is an attempt to gather information TWI may actually use someday(who knows?)

I've always felt that TWI's strategy as is has always been perfectly fine.

Releasing updates free that actually effect gameplay is a very generous idea. Alot of games now are following this pattern of release half of the game, then put out the rest as DLC strategy. If you want to get the full game then you have to pay more, and thats unfair in my opinion.

Charging for DLC that offers changes that DON'T affect gameplay is perfectly fine for me, as if someone doesn't want to pay for the DLC, then they aren't short changed over the rest of the community. I stress that charged DLC, should be something that doesn't really alter anything in the game other than arbitrary things (Like character appearance). Otherwise those who don't want to pay more are left out.

Furthermore if I buy the DLC then want to play with my friends, then they have to buy the DLC too so we can pay together. That right there is reason not to make game altering DLC a charged thing.

I persoanlly would be perfectly willing to pay for nearly anything that is thrown into the ring with Killing Floor, because I'm an absolutely huge fan, and would more buy the content as a thankyou to TWI, since I appreciate the work they have put into Killing Floor for little in return.

I'm quite happy for TWI to carry on exactly as they have been doing, but hey thats just me. Most companies wouldn't give a rats *** about the community once they've got thier money, and just because TWI does have respect for their community its unfair to EXPECT them to give out any extra content at all.
There is no obligation for them to do so, so to conclude: I would happily pay for content, but I don't expect them to give me content just because I want it.

Upvote 0
You make a good point there Jester. Now i agree with what you say about players not being able to play with you if they dont purchase the dlc. Ok heres the deal, this is how i would do it.

I purchase the dlc..I get a new perk and access to a few more weapons.
Maps come with FREE updates.

Ok now that everyone has the free maps we are not limited by that. So me and my friend join a game...im the new "Engineer" perk that the dlc gave me, hes in the new map that was FREE. He can play with me as much as he wants but just cannot use the new perk and the new weapons.

I think that way is fine. Now I can see someone saying "But hey, thats not right...you have the new better weapons". Well yes that may be true, but this is indeed a coop game, having 1 teammate "stronger" can only help the team. Now if we were versing each other...I can see that being a huge upset.

Let me know what you think about something along that line Jester.

Upvote 0
Its a reasonable request, and it does nicely move over one of the issues I have with it.

However again I still vere towards keeping the gameplay the same for all players. Although it is a coop game, having to buy access to other parts of the game I dunno feels kind of... corporate.

Now adding a campaign or something, I'd say fair enough, since it is in effect a new game in itself.

I'm not rubbishing your point, as it does hold some validity, and I personally wouldn't be too fussed. However it does kinda make me wince to think some people will have full access and can enjoy the game in full as it is supposed to be, while others wont.

So I'd happily agree to adding more single player elements for a fee, and things like alternative skins. But additional perks or weapons for paying consumers, I'd be put off.

Upvote 0
I personally would love to see pay-for content in Killing Floor, of course there will be others who don't want that. I think however, if a majority of Killing Floor's players were to decide in a poll that they were willing to pay for content it'd be fine. Considering that most of Killing Floor's fans are the die hard kind, I think it would end up well.

Upvote 0
Hmm, i do understand your side...but the whole Corporate thing...i mean they are making games to make money lol. And we buy games to have fun. Id hate to use this phrase but...you get what you pay for....i suppose.

Id just like to point out that Borderlands has some great DLC and although it does exclude other players from the content if you dont purchase it...its still not a game killer if you dont own it. Now this I dont even want to say but I will.....Wow(POS GAME!) has expansions....and jesus christ if you dont buy them your pretty much without a game now. All other players move on to something you can NEVER experience and you may as well not even play if you dont have it.

Anyway I disagree with the way wow does their expansions...im not asking for something like that and I would HATE to see that. But the way killing floor is...its not the type of game in which you would feel left out if you didnt purchase the dlc.

Upvote 0
i want to pay for DLC that gives me the option to choose a gun that is the same as another gun, just a different model. like instead of a bullpup, i can pick the FN P90, same stats, same price, same damage, just diff model and animation.

Ahh new models of guns...cool cool, but then again you can do that now for free with custom skins : (...but still a cool idea.

Yet again...Im asking for much more than that lol....MORE GAMEPLAY! MORE ACHIEVEMENTS!!!

Upvote 0
Ahh new models of guns...cool cool, but then again you can do that now for free with custom skins : (...but still a cool idea.

Yet again...Im asking for much more than that lol....MORE GAMEPLAY! MORE ACHIEVEMENTS!!!

its more than just a skin, its a whole new model, with whole new sounds, and whole new animations. maybe charge 5 dollars for that. id rather it be done professionally by TW, they rule at making weapons and id be happy to pay 2$ - 5$ per weapon like for example:

instead of a 9mm beretta, i can use a 9mm glock.

instead of a bullpup, i can use a p90

instead of a lever action, i can use a enfield

etc, same stats, same cost, just a different option that doesnt split apart the community.

Upvote 0
its more than just a skin, its a whole new model, with whole new sounds, and whole new animations. maybe charge 5 dollars for that. id rather it be done professionally by TW, they rule at making weapons and id be happy to pay 2$ - 5$ per weapon like for example:

instead of a 9mm beretta, i can use a 9mm glock.

instead of a bullpup, i can use a p90

instead of a lever action, i can use a enfield

etc, same stats, same cost, just a different option that doesnt split apart the community.

Ahh i see your point. Good idea man...i like that. Wouldnt mind something like that. But i want something bigger too :). Great addition!

Upvote 0
Tripwire say they hate ask customer money for map and weapon. They prefere release skin pack that is not needed to enjoy the full game.

Too more complicated for server to get paid update so its give you less server if you don't want it ...

Tripwire is a small team i think so the ammount they make with the skin pack is enough ... so if they want getting more money, just release more skin pack.

Upvote 0
Tripwire say they hate ask customer money for map and weapon. They prefere release skin pack that is not needed to enjoy the full game.

Too more complicated for server to get paid update so its give you less server if you don't want it ...

Tripwire is a small team i think so the ammount they make with the skin pack is enough ... so if they want getting more money, just release more skin pack.

I understand what you mean, but I feel if someone works hard enough to make something that we desire...such as new perks and such, then they should be payed for it. It would motivate them to create more content, and we would be happy with the new content. I feel as if TWI doesnt have the resources/manpower to be putting towards constant free updates. As a small company im sure they watch their money flow VERY closely. To do something that would essentially lose you money is not a smart move.

Upvote 0
As we've said somewhere in the past (and has been echoed in this thread by some people): we started exploring DLC a while back, with the Character Packs. We absolutely did not want to split the community, as some companies manage, by charging for things people "need".

You do raise an interesting point: what if we created an extra Perk, with its own weapons benefits? People don't "need" that in order to play - but they could pay to get access to that perk, its leveling and the bonuses it gives.

Honestly, I'm not sure... debate on!

Upvote 0