• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Open game development/Early alpha

Forssen

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 23, 2010
Sweden
What do you think about the more or less open game development some indie devs seem to have adopted. For example:
Natural Selection
Overgrowth
Project Zomboid
and of course Minecraft

Is this something new or does anyone have any examples of released games developed this way? I like the development method but I can see problems with it like the game reaching its peak before it's actually released and the complications that follows with customers paying for an unfinished product.

What do you mean "open"? Minecraft's development isn't open at all, as far as I know.

I'm guessing you actually mean letting people pay for the alpha or beta version of a product before it's actually released.

If that's the case Mount and Blade was financed that way too.

I like the idea if the version you're buying is at least close to worth what you're paying too, and not too much of the price is for what the game may or may not become one day!
E.g. the Minecraft alpha was 10

Upvote 0
With open I mean that the community helps to form the game with their opinions during long term alpha/beta testing. Kind of like the ideas and suggestions subforums on this forums but with a alpha/beta so the players can give more precise suggestions.

EDIT: When I think about it I would probably call any development which regularly showcase the progress, plans and current issues open.

Last edited:
Upvote 0