• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Official Demo Rules

Okay, there have been a huge number of anti-demos, with good reason.
They spam pipes, they shoot smoke in everybody's face, they get all the cash, ect., ect.

But, as a demo/support, I always thought that the stupid demo was a stereotypical begginner who was rude and making a bad name for us demomen. But then, I started to play with other demos. And I discovered that they were very different then what I expected: they were all about gaining kills and cash and being annoying, with no respect for the team.

So I saying 'ENOUGH IS ENOUGH' and deciding to try to save the near-dead respect of us few remaining half-decent demomen who are getting intantly kicked upon joining games. And as a first step I am asking for a general consensus on what every good demoman should do.

Heres my additions:
1)Don't shoot grenades at FPs, scrakes, or specimen that are near the group

2) focus on large groups of distant clots. These are common, so it shouldn't exactly be excrutiatingly hard to hold you fire if you are lacking appropraite targets

3)Avoid shooting into the front lines. It makes the job of an ss impossible, and kills teammates

4) The goal is team survival, not kill count or money stockpile (not so abstract an idea)

5) spamming pipes is generally stupid. Sure, you can drop one or two to cover retreats, help cover a chokepoint, or safeguard the team flank in case of an unexpected attack, so just be moderate.

6) Be careful, and don't lose your cool. While panicking as another class may prove a bad choice for you, as a demoman, panicking can doom your whole team. For example, being chased by an FP does not call for grenades unless your the last one; I have seen to many panicking demos blind ss that could have easily taken out the threat, but the whole team died from a panic-buttoned grenade.

These are my 6, please add more, but don't add: 'dont be a demo', or any other stupid advice. Unless it's really funny.

#7 - Don't play to top the scoreboard. Play to enjoy the perk and to help the team out.

#8 - Buy a secondary weapon rather than a second nade launcher, for close ranges where nades do more harm than good. Bullpup, or an AK if a commando is willing to lend a hand, is better.

#9 - Be considerate to other, less long-ranged teammates. If you see a zerker nearing a group of clots or whatever, let him have it. Same for firebug.

Upvote 0
#10 - Don't shoot grenades from m32 grenade launcher straight up in the air on a friendly fire server that has a skybox higher than 8000 unreal units hoping for the grenades to come back done and kill the specimens but you end up killing your entire/half team and enraging a scrake and/or fleshpound thust killing off you and/or other surving team mates, unless a sharpshooter survives and manages to kill the fleshpounds and/or scrakes, however if just you and 2 commandos survive than your certainly screwed, unless the commandos have the SCAR or in rare/lucky cases AK47 or in super rare/1-in-a-million-chances cases bullpup.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
#11 -L.A.W. is useless

Not on bioticslab. Support + demo with LAWs (might work better with support + support though) that takes turns welding the door and shooting rockets through the holes and it's hilarious to see some spamshooters go complain about how you steal their kills.

3x SS, 1x firebug, 1x support and 1x demo (that's being me and the support a guy I know) and the 3rd guy was 120 guys below our kills. Not that it would really matter but the SS complaints were rather epic to read. It's possible to get 10-15 per rocket down if you just wait for a while before you shoot each rocket.

Upvote 0
Demo is my main perk next to Medic, and I have to agree here.
I know it's annoying for other people when I completely rape a group of specimens when it isn't necessary, making other players get less money and points towards perk progression, which is one of the reasons I avoid using the M32 and shooting at small groups, and I only use pipebombs in small numbers to guard a hallway or something. I really do like the Demo perk but some people ruin the game with it..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I know it's annoying for other people when I completely rape a group of specimens when it isn't necessary

That is your job; hammer groups of specimens away from the players. Don't worry about "taking money from other players." Your job is to kill groups. Everyone should kill what they are far away as they can. There is tons of money in the game and you should be killing groups as they spawn.

Upvote 0
Not on bioticslab.

Everywhere LAW is useless. It takes up too much space for too little damage

Support + demo with LAWs (might work better with support + support though) that takes turns welding the door and shooting rockets through the holes and it's hilarious to see some spamshooters go complain about how you steal their kills.

I wouldn't be bragging about welding doors and shooting through holes. I wouldn't be using "spamshooters" either if I played like that.

Upvote 0
Should have compared it to the mod, sorry.

Yes that's true.

nutterbutter said:
I wouldn't be bragging about welding doors and shooting through holes. I wouldn't be using "spamshooters" either if I played like that.

It wasn't intended to sound as bragging, and the term spamshooter was used for the reason all of the three sharpshooters were using M14 and falling under the typical category of shooting everything in sight while putting someone with obsessive-compulsive disorder in shame. I don't usually give a turd about scores but by the time some of them went vocal about it... go figure.

Complaining about playstyle is one thing but since I didn't mention which door we were using one could presume it was the U-shaped room when it was the one right on the opposite side of the hallway you spawn in the map and all others were wandering around the U-shaped room.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
#11 -L.A.W. is useless

as a support and just for the lols, i use the law fairly often when i can.
when playing on hard difficulties i have found it to be an excellent long range sniping weapon against the boss as well as a "anti-one-in-the-pipe" stopping him from firing that bloody thing. it has also saved my life a couple of time and as a sole survivor the LAW has saved my life by sheer cm's.

i stick up for the law, DUN DIS IT!

Upvote 0
#10 - Don't shoot grenades from m32 grenade launcher straight up in the air on a friendly fire server that has a skybox higher than 8000 unreal units hoping for the grenades to come back done and kill the specimens but you end up killing your entire/half team and enraging a scrake and/or fleshpound thust killing off you and/or other surving team mates, unless a sharpshooter survives and manages to kill the fleshpounds and/or scrakes, however if just you and 2 commandos survive than your certainly screwed, unless the commandos have the SCAR or in rare/lucky cases AK47 or in super rare/1-in-a-million-chances cases bullpup.

Pppffftttt, whatever. We practically made a new game mode doing this on 420Ganjafarm. 6 guys, 6 M32s, and death raining down from the sky non-stop. I haven't laughed that hard playing KF, ever. It was like dancing in the rain as kids, except replace rain with explosions.

Upvote 0