• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
some body from RS dev said night maps are pain in the arse either for making them,playing them or both.

think about this guys,a night maps fire burning some places not everywhere offcourse,hard to aim,hard to see,maeby full moon lightning up the hill and all those flashes from the weapons and bullet tracers.

Yea will be hard map to play,but I think this sort of map will make you feel like your trully there.

I like OP's idea :)

Upvote 0
When there is dark in multiplayer game, there is simple trick which gives great advantage - cranking up your gamma/brightness. And if enough players do it (and there isn't much reason to not do it, as it isn't cheating per se), then you can either ruin your experience by playing with overblown brightness too, or experience getting constantly killed by players who can see you in near pitch-black darkness.

Upvote 0
When there is dark in multiplayer game, there is simple trick which gives great advantage - cranking up your gamma/brightness. And if enough players do it (and there isn't much reason to not do it, as it isn't cheating per se), then you can either ruin your experience by playing with overblown brightness too, or experience getting constantly killed by players who can see you in near pitch-black darkness.

Kinda ruins the experience and believe it or not, not everyone wants to fiddle with gamma controls and such to give themselves an advantage. Some people actually want to play it for the fun experience and not feel they have to be better than everyone else.

That said, a night map can be done with full moonlight so it won't be as dark as you would think. It would most likely just limit the distance the forces engage.

Upvote 0
I recall a map in Carpathian Crosses, I think it was called Dofinovka (?), which was a night assault by Soviet marines on a Romanian garrison and gun battery in a small town/village in the Crimea (?). It was one of my favourite maps in the mod, and should be used as a model for creating night maps, if they will be featured in RO2. All of this is imo, of course. =)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
IMO RO-Walkure would already be too dark if it wasnt mostly on snow.
I'd say that light intensity below 1/3 of daylight starts to have too negative impact on gameplay (Walkure has about half of that - 1/6). Sure, you might be able to make out details on screenshot, but after a while of play, you will probably feel like there is sand in your eyes (eye strain).

This is photoshopped night with 1/3 light intensity:
RO_night.jpg

Upvote 0
funny, I've seen people complain about night maps in a lot of games, but honestly night maps CAN be done! Day of Defeat: source, BF2, an Ost snow map (can't remember the name) the list goes on.

If Tripwire doesn't do it, PLEASE some mapper, make a night map.

flares, burning buildings, and the moon can make one amazing, unmatched map. Its been done.

Isn't In Country doing one with rain? http://www.moddb.com/mods/in-country-vietnam/images/in-country-vietnam-teaser-screen-two#imagebox

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Kinda ruins the experience and believe it or not, not everyone wants to fiddle with gamma controls and such to give themselves an advantage. Some people actually want to play it for the fun experience and not feel they have to be better than everyone else.

That said, a night map can be done with full moonlight so it won't be as dark as you would think. It would most likely just limit the distance the forces engage.
Yeah its kinda lame changing the gamma settings.
Still its quite surprising how "bright" are nights with full-moon.

Upvote 0

Something like this?
I suppose night like that would be ok, because its almost as bright as day... Not sure what would the realism crows think about that ;-)

RO_night_2.jpg

Reactions: Felix Ostheim
Upvote 0