• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Nasty surprise

Unreal Engine 4 was released on March 19th 2014. So that means that there's been roughly 3 months between right now and the release of Unreal 4.

While everybody knew Unreal 4 was in development for a while, nobody knew when exactly it was going to release. And from the screens we have of KF2 so far, it seems as though it's been in development for some time. The PC Gamer article correlates this by stating
"Since shipping World War II FPS Red Orchestra in 2011, Tripwire has dedicated itself to the sticky art of digital dismemberment for the sequel to [Killing Floor]"

So, this suggests that development of the new gore engine for Killing Floor 2 (if not the entire game itself) started in 2011, a full 3 years before Unreal 4 was released.

What sense does it make to delay working on a sequel to a popular game by 3 years just to make it look slightly prettier? And if they DID decide to stop working on KF on Unreal 3 and switch to 4, we wouldn't have our hands on a playable version for years. Not worth it, in my opinion.

Upvote 0
Unreal Engine 4 was released on March 19th 2014. So that means that there's been roughly 3 months between right now and the release of Unreal 4.

Nonsense, lots of games have been in development for UE4 for over a year, march was just official release.

They really are gimping themselves for the next decade, UE4 already has an Oculus Rift support.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
And yet it still looks stunning. Getting stuck up on engine versions is silly.
UE3 has loads of gorgeous games and has been updated a tonne. Plus TWI have done there own improvements to it.
The only examples of games I've see of UE4 don't even look as good, as KF2 does in the trailer.

Nothing to fear about its Graphics.

Upvote 0
The whole 60 FPS thing to me is a surprise, but in all honestly, do we really need more than 60? I usually only notice when my FPS is below 30.

Occulus rift is cool and all, but do you really thing the majority of us are going to have them? I know I wont be able to afford it (Or rather care to spend money on it) for a while.

Upvote 0
Seriously, you won't be able to afford the most significant technological product in this century which costs less than a console?:confused:

The most significant technological product in this century...ok dude...let's just ignore 3D printers dropping to a few hundred dollars.

First off do some math here. KF2 was in development for three years, UE4 projects started one year ago. That means there was a gap of two years when UE4 was not available to TWI. Case closed. And you created an account just to share your disappointment for the engine and your bad math skills, as well as your highly misplaced value system of what technologies are most important to this century? Sorry man, nothing you say makes sense.

Upvote 0
You do realize that UE3 is capped to 60fps and has no Oculus Rift support?
The Oculus Rift CV1 will have 95Hz.

UE3 does not have a 60 fps cap. Many games running on UE3 just cap it there. I know, for example, that in RO2 you can edit the config files to make the framerate go as high as your hardware can handle.

As for Oculus Rift support, that was added to UE3 in April of last year.

Upvote 0
They mentioned that they did this because they would have had to make everything over again (or something like that) because the engines are so different. They cited how COD just uses the Quake engine and keeps changing and modifying it every year. I think he also said something about wanting the game to be able to run on low end computers.

Also, why is this a big deal? What are we losing by not having the game on a new engine? It looks WAY better than the original so it's good enough for me.

Upvote 0
:O
Woah I had no idea that was the same engine.

To be fair, it started as a heavily modified Quake 3 engine but has evolved into a completely different engine throughout the years. I'm sure a lot of old Quake 3 code is still in there, but most of it is definitely new code by now. This is the same with the GoldSrc engine having started out as a heavily modified Quake engine and eventually becoming the Source engine we have today (still with some legacy Quake code hidden in there).

Upvote 0
Also, TWI knows their way around UE3 now. If they started with UE4 they would have to learn it again, which could lead to delays, or worst case scenario, another shaky launch like RO2.

Why use something new, that you don't understand, and that may be unstable (heard various things about UE4); when what you've got works, and you already know your way around it?

Upvote 0