• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

My feedback on weapons

BD38;n2290468 said:
Fun fact: the field repaired M3s often have their broken charging handle replaced by a Sten Gun like charging handle

How often's "often" though. That's the thing. You gotta think in ratios. Also side note. I didn't notice that in the game lol.

The hell did they use for a reference.

edit: Did some more looking into it and these modifications were done in WW2 allegedly starting just before D-Day in England. Some units had just recieved these a couple months prior and had their cocking handles break, plus they would get caught on things. Armourers began to experiment and you ended up with that.

Those modifications would even be done once deployed in France. You only needed a drill press at the minimum. But they generally had a killing machine and even Lathes. So in the field they could potentially do a professional job in less than 2 hours. Even making their own handle without needing to steal a sten's charging handle.

But these were done with M3s in WW2. Haven't seen anything on M3A1s later. I saw an image of an M3 with this modification that also had the M3A1 dust cover but that particular gun was found in someone's attic a few years ago. The M3A1 solved the same problem with the cocking handles while at the same time being cheaper to produce. Which is probably why this sten style handle didn't get adopted.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't see any charging handle on the M3A1 in my game...

20170328001342_1.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Lemonater47;n2290579 said:
Ok so with the M3A1.

They literally made an M3 grease gun then removed the crank handle.

In the SDK there is an M3 WITH a crank handle style charging handle.

What we have in game isn't an M3A1. It's an M3 with a missing crank handle and a modified bolt.

See look.

MPh7dT0.jpg

Where did you get that picture from?
Because there was never any kind of "bolt modification" done when the handle was broken.
The reason behind that was that the bolt simply CAN'T be cocked by a finger in the M3, because the ejection port is way to small.

And the bolt you showed me in that picture seems not to be modified in any way, compare it yourself to this picture of an original M3 bolt:

M3GreaseGun23-1.jpg

As you can see, that cutout in the front is present too.
The reason behind that is that this cutout is the safty (the only one) on this gun!

If you close the dustcover, the small tab on it will engage into this notch when the bolt is already cocked.

M3-Grease-Gun-open-bolt.jpg

Greetings

Upvote 0
Spillo2382;n2289763 said:
I agree with gameplay over autenticity. The VCs can use the PPSH and it has great clean iron-sight and if you play the sapper class you can have the PPSH with 2 pizza-magazines, as US you can have the grease gun, the iron-sight is useless, you can't see nothing, and you can't keep track of your target while aiming, i have similar problem with the M14, the ring is too thick and you lose your target. I think we need a compromise here, between autenticity and gameplay. One more thing, i don't really feel the superior of US firepower, i think this need rebalance, like, 30 rounds mags for the M16 would be a step forward, 4 pointman, and try to make those iron-sights more "clean" (grease gun and M14). As a pointman, i need to be in front of my team to disarm and scout for traps, but i can choose between the grease gun or the shotgun m37, and i lose all the mid-range engagements, so i can't be in the first line of my team to do my job.

the game is already balance . US infantry fighting style is depend on accurate single shot at long range pick enemy off one by one. keep enemy far from you as long as possible and wait for airstrike and artillery , heavy machine gun , tank , mortar .v.v.v to finish them off . full auto mostly use when run in to ambush and when you get over run by enemy
that why all US infantry weapons are much more accurate than soviet weapons and all of them have "ring" type iron sight . that kind of sight work best in semi auto at long range . but not so good in close range that why when fighting in close range US troops mostly firing from the hip
see here : 3.50
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x8yXtcFKg4
(US troops after get out from tank cover . firing their weapon from the hip )

Upvote 0
Lemonater47;n2290579 said:
Ok so with the M3A1.

They literally made an M3 grease gun then removed the crank handle.

In the SDK there is an M3 WITH a crank handle style charging handle.

What we have in game isn't an M3A1. It's an M3 with a missing crank handle and a modified bolt.

See look.

MPh7dT0.jpg

Somehow, I can't post replies without admin approval?

btt

Seems like you are right, they modeled the charging handle, but somehow removed in the game?
There was never any kind of "modified" M3 bolt, because the ejection port is way to short to acutally cock the gun with your finger.

The notch you see at the front of the bolt is a safty one, the little nub from the dust cover engages there when the gun has been cocked and the dustcover is closed.

Z4eXBzt.jpg

This notch was never intended to be pulled by a finger.

The A1 has an enlarged safty notch to be actually used by your finger to cock it, it also features an almost twice the size ejection port (to be able to be cocked by your finger).

US-SMG-M3A1-Grease-Gun-right.jpg

Greetings

Upvote 0