• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Mutator] Vanilla KF Rebalance Mutator; DRF

pie1055

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 6, 2011
Bedlam
Directive:

DRF is a re-balancing of Killing Floor to make weapons and perks equally viable as well as leveling the field a bit in terms of difficulty. It was done with the intent of keeping strategies and tactics intact whilst also strengthening theming (Sharps focus on headshotting HVTs, Support carries more grenades but Demo's are stronger, etc). The name comes from the time I first started working on it (after the update with the M99). The game's balance could have been described as a disaster and in need of a response force, if you will.

Notation:

Of note is that much of my focus was on improving teamwork in 6 player HoE games with level 6 perks, so I don't really know how my changes will affect the leveling curve. I also haven't done a lot of testing with multiplayer games so I can't say how co-op game play worked out.

Informations:

Not exactly a good mutator for screenshots but here's the list of changes, straight from the READMEH.
Spoiler!

TL;DR,

Medics can overheal,

handguns are no longer part of the sharpshooter perk but each perk affects them in some way (the handgun you spawn with is the exception but you can upgrade it),

flame weapons do low damage but they slow enemies who no longer flail wildly (charging scrakes/fleshies don't slow),

the HSG can switch between buckshot and slugs- the latter can stun scrakes with the right level and headshots,

Sharpshooter weapons gain penetrations with levels- husks, sirens, and other zeds hiding behind the clot swarm beware.

M99 can only fire while aiming and no longer stuns scrakes with bodyshots (though it still effectively does the same damage),

chainsaw can stun scrakes and counter leaping crawlers- the latter with some proper technique,

Vlad was modified before the steampunk weapon pack was released and I kinda inadvertedly made it much like the Zed Thrower though it does work well as a lower-tier AA12 still capable of taking on scrakes/fleshies,

explosions can be seen through,

a few weapons have been hybridized- more than one perk gives them bonuses but their stats are somewhat mediocre and they're expensive

and the other changes are mostly small tweaks.​

Download (Version 1):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c6uc5y66s0do3l1/DRF Killing Floor Mutator.zip

Last edited:
Yeah, it sounds like you buffed pretty much everything as a means to 'balance' them. I'd advise trying to make an index (I.E. a perk you find to be already balanced) and use it to balance everything to it.

Weapons are shouldn't be dealt this way either. You can't just look at a weapon's stats and compare it to another one's. You need to look at the context for each weapon and see how it underperforms or overperforms in the current meta against other weapons. It's usually easier to look at all weapons per perk group and micromanage them on that level.

Also, I'm not telling you to copy my changes, but could you structure your first post so it has nice formatting?
E.G.: My balance mutator http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=98489

Upvote 0
Thanks for the feedback all. Even if you don't try the mutator, your reactions speak loads.

5 penetrations with LAR and Musket?!
Their damages have been tweaked so bodyshots do around half damage while headshots do near the same. This means two bullets to kill crawlers, 2-3 for stalkers and 3 for clots. When your mag capacity is 10, 7, and 16 with no reload bonus anymore, I thought conserving ammo would become more imperative.

Perhaps the penetrations should be toned down though. My intent was to allow sharps to pick off husks and sirens without other zed's massive hitboxes getting in the way. I also wanted to try to move penetration as an ability over to the sharp as shotgun shells penetrating entire crowds seems a bit unrealistic to me. Then again, realism shouldn't be the driving reason behind any changes in the realm of game balance :rolleyes:
Fire rate bonus with M14?! wtf?
Base fire rate was reduced. This one was to state sharp's fire rate as a bonus on all his weaponry rather than it being hidden in code.
Balance? Nope.

Your base this on teamwork but everything is buffed to solo even more. For me, this is so hard to read through without hate mail.
Noted.
You can't just look at a weapon's stats and compare it to another one's. You need to look at the context for each weapon and see how it underperforms or overperforms in the current meta against other weapons. It's usually easier to look at all weapons per perk group and micromanage them on that level.
I hadn't thought of it that way. Hmm...
Also, I'm not telling you to copy my changes, but could you structure your first post so it has nice formatting?
E.G.: My balance mutator http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=98489
I wasn't able to get double spacing or indentation to work and none of the formatting from my pasted section shows up =/ I'll give another crack though because I know what you mean and it irks me too.

Upvote 0
I wasn't able to get double spacing or indentation to work and none of the formatting from my pasted section shows up =/ I'll give another crack though because I know what you mean and it irks me too.
I did the bullet things using the bullets and the two indentation buttons.

EG:

• regular bullet
    • Indented bullet
Format.PNG

Upvote 0