• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Mutator request (or just give me a hint...?)

Varokhar

FNG / Fresh Meat
Feb 19, 2008
Hello all!

Well, of course I'm a newbie with a question like this. So, here goes - could someone either whip up a mutator that permits both sides to choose weapons from the opposing force, or just point me towards a walkthrough that is simple enough for a mod-and-mutator illiterate like me to figure out?

In the war, as in all wars, both sides employed captured weaponry. I thought it would be nice to allow this option on RO (seeing as the KurlandKessel map allows German squad leaders to use the PPSh, for instance) for both historicity and the simple fun of playing with a variety of weapons from both factions.

Unless of course there are console commands that allow one to do this in-game - as I said, I'm relatively ignorant as to RO's inner workings as well as modding in general. I'm still puzzling out the SDK and making little sense of the online tutorials I've checked out.

Thanks!

It would be difficult to create a mutator that when applied to any map opened up a choice from the enemies armoury.

However- as you can gather from Kurland,the mapper can assign enemy weapons to a class- or offer them as a choice.
So it would mean editing a map and working in the RO editor - i strongly suggest seeking the map's maker's go ahead to do this though.
However it appears that stock maps like StalingradKessel or Krasny are fair game for editing.

If you go for it check the level design forums or the RO editor tutorials for how to do it - but it's quite simple. Each class has an Actor that contains all the information about that class - just edit the available weapons from a drop down list.

Upvote 0
It would be difficult to create a mutator that when applied to any map opened up a choice from the enemies armoury.

However- as you can gather from Kurland,the mapper can assign enemy weapons to a class- or offer them as a choice.
So it would mean editing a map and working in the RO editor - i strongly suggest seeking the map's maker's go ahead to do this though.
However it appears that stock maps like StalingradKessel or Krasny are fair game for editing.

If you go for it check the level design forums or the RO editor tutorials for how to do it - but it's quite simple. Each class has an Actor that contains all the information about that class - just edit the available weapons from a drop down list.

Don't edit those, please, they're fine as they are.

Upvote 0

Ah, thanks :)

Upvote 0
According to the first post, would it be possible to use the enemy's vehicles?

You could create a mutator that would allow you to use vehicles in this fashion, however from a historical context, it's a bit silly to hop in a tank that someone just hopped out of.

if I hand you a gun, you can probably figure it out without to much effort..
if I shove you in a tank, and you don't read Russian, it's gonna take you -alot- longer to figure out how to operate it

The 'correct' way to do this would be create a new skin for the captured tank and add it as a new tank, adjusting the team setting to make it for the appropriate team.

Upvote 0
You could create a mutator that would allow you to use vehicles in this fashion, however from a historical context, it's a bit silly to hop in a tank that someone just hopped out of.

What historical context? For me it would be enough if both sides would be able to use the Zis truck and both side's AT guns. Or wouldn't you agree that germans would be able to drive a captured russian truck or even use a russian AT gun what is orginally a german licence product?

Upvote 0
What historical context? For me it would be enough if both sides would be able to use the Zis truck and both side's AT guns. Or wouldn't you agree that germans would be able to drive a captured russian truck or even use a russian AT gun what is orginally a german licence product?

Ahh gotcha.. I was thinking more of Tanks, and not really the trucks/ATGs.. Yeah.. I can see some value in that mutator then.

Upvote 0
foo'bar said:

Okay about captured items and objects you must realize that you can not just "hijack" ( UT-2004 sound file: "carjacked") or "rambo" a weapon (AT guns) or a vehicle right out from somebody (UT-2004 style) thats not how it happened! Realistically speaking (as well as for better gameplay) captured stuff found its way into use after one force overtook another and gathered anything from the captured postion that was useful. Tanks and vehicles were repainted before being thrown into battles (iron crosses, swastikas, Soviet stars, ect.) as well as being refitted with ammo ect and made sure that it was "battle ready".

Stealing a car or truck near you would never be done in real life in real life thats called desertion and apart from being shot by the enemy you would be shot at by your friendlies due to the fact that you are driving a vehicle an enemy vehicle (captured verisons would have identifiying marks)! This is not battlefield 1942 or GTA where you can jump on anything when ever you feel like Im glad that you can't.

some bullet points for quick reading:

-Making a "captured" verison by altering team assignment , skin and whatever else was altered on captured model (for example su-76i which was a panzer III converted to su-76)<- superior method

-Hijacking enemy vehicles, GTA or Ut 2004 style <-gamey belongs in ut-2004 not RO

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok sorry a bit more info on my request. I have a prisoner escape map almost to Beta3 and i have 2 static zis trucks in it, i would love for the escapees to be able to jump in and drive off. So i understand the context in my instance is opportunistic (like GTA) but i dont want the vehicles to respawn, just usable by both teams, as Axis theoretically could grab the trucks and move them away.

Upvote 0