• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server MOTD Banner Link Issues

Man I've fought a few rounds with the Banner Link in my dedicated server. It seems more a matter of luck than specific requirements.

As I understand it these are the requirements (though I've read some contrary information as well) for the banner link:
- Must be a PNG image
- Must be saved at a color depth greater than 8bit
- Must be 512 X 256 (this is one that I've read posts to the contrary)
- Must NOT be hosted on a secure HTTP site (no HTTPS links)
- I read somewhere also that the filename of the image shouldn't have spaces

I think that about covers the requirements. Here is what I've done. I took an image off of the net that has a resolution greater than 512 X 256. It was originally in JPG format. I then edited it in Paint.NET and scaled it to a horizontal length of 512 pixels which left me with a vertical length of 373 pixels if memory serves. I cropped it to 512 X 256 and did some other minor editing. I saved it in PNG format using 32bit color depth.

While experimenting with the editing / formatting, I was also trying different hosting sites. Imgur, Photobucket, and OneDrive. It was at this time that I found a post about banner links that said it had to be hosted from a non-secure HTTP site, so that was when I found HTTPS links were out. So I stopped trying to use OneDrive because either all they issue are HTTPS links, or I couldn't find where to set it to a non-secure HTTP link. With the editing and hosting intermingled, I probably tried 20 different permutations. Each time I editing my banner link via the WebUI, I received the broken image icon shown below the link. Of course even with a server restart this didn't fix this and the MOTD was missing when I joined the server. That was until I had fully edited the image as above and the link I used was from Photobucket and walla I could see my banner in the WebUI. I was ecstatic thinking I had finally sorted it out, it had never shown up in the WebUI until this point, just the broken image icon. So with heart racing I jumped on the server to see what it looked like (after wasting many hours) and nothing, no MOTD at all, just like before. Then I thought maybe I should restart the server, "that'll fix it" I thought. Restart the server, join it again from my client and again no MOTD.

So hopefully someone out there has some advice on how to fix this or at least shed some light on what I'm possibly doing wrong.

I'm not here to grief Tripwire, they've really progressed the level of polish and added content over the last couple months. However it is my hope that Tripwire addresses the robustness (or apparent lack of) of the banner link feature of the dedicated server. This seems like a fairly common / necessary feature of a dedicated server and it shouldn't be this difficult to get working. I realize that there are probably many more important things to do to the game, but I'd hope that some time would be spent on this before the release date of Nov 18.

You know what else would be cool? We have all these image hosting services that allow for editing of your photos. We need one that is dedicated to gamers. You upload your image and tell it what size it needs to be and what format and you drag a crop box around to frame the final product, hit save when your done and you've got a banner with a link and you're set. Or make it one step easier, the site has profiles for each game server so it already knows the requirements and makes the correct adjustments.

That or a photo editing application that does the same.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well it looks like I sorted it out. Apparently changing the URL for the banner link in the WebUI doesn't work. You need to manually edit the KFGame.ini file via Notepad (or whatever text editor you use) and save it that way. Something about changing it from the WebUI messes it up. Actually it appears as if you change any of the stuff in the Welcome Screen from the WebUI causes the Welcome screen to not work. The entry I copied pasted into the BannerLink= location didn't look any different than what the WebUI put in there. Maybe there is an EOL character or something missing after the entry.

Well whatever the reason is, I've got it sorted out now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have encountered similar issues with link's not working when using common image hosts like imgur. Solved this by hosting the images on the server itself, even the WebUI plays nicely with anything from the server.

Now to figure out why it makes my images hella dark/contrasted (and possible hue shift?) and I'll be set

Upvote 0