• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
  • Weve updated the Tripwire Privacy Notice under our Policies to be clearer about our use of customer information to come in line with the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) rules that come into force today (25th May 2018). The following are highlights of our changes:

We've incorporated the relevant concepts from the GDPR including joining the EU and Swiss Privacy Shield framework. We've added explanations for why and how Tripwire processes customer data and the types of data that we process, as well as information about your data protection rights.

For more information about our privacy practices, please review the new Privacy Policy found here: https://tripwireinteractive.com/#/privacy-notice

More dust from bullet hits

fireship4

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 21, 2005
Watching videos, bullets can kick up quite a lot of dust. I think this should be reflected in game, for visual purposes - note though that it would also have the secondary effect of supplementing suppression through obscuring an enemies view somewhat.

Hypno Toad

FNG / Fresh Meat
Apr 18, 2008
Standing behind you
Watching videos, bullets can kick up quite a lot of dust. I think this should be reflected in game, for visual purposes - note though that it would also have the secondary effect of supplementing suppression through obscuring an enemies view somewhat.
I agree. I find I have difficulty telling where my bullets are landing because the particle impacts are so small for weapons.

Also, PTRS needs a monster impact.. anything above 12.7mm kicks up a dirt/dust storm when it hits.

Unus Offa Unus Nex

FNG / Fresh Meat
Oct 21, 2010
Unless the soldier being hit is covered in dust, there shouldn't really be much of anything, other than him reacting to the hit and falling to the ground, telling you he's been hit.

FBOTheLiuetenant

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 20, 2006
www.righttorule.com
I dont think the OP was talking about hits on players, but rather when bullets impact the environment. With the exception of the PTRS I think most weapons have a pretty realistic amount of secondary projectiles that they kick up.

FBOTheLiuetenant

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 20, 2006
www.righttorule.com
Not only is that unrealistic but the OP clearly states about how bullet impacts should have an added effect on suppression, so I still think he isn't talking about bullets impacting people.

SinJin

FNG / Fresh Meat
Aug 21, 2011
When rounds hit objects smoke is produced. Much of the *dust* you see is actually smoke.

fireship4

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 21, 2005
Just to clarify, I did mean environmental dust (smoke?), but I would like it applied to players also if it is realistic. I know it was made a popular image by Saving Private Ryan/Band of Brothers (and it does look really cool) but I don't know the reality. I would guess there is some from a person but less, depending on the clothing, but I don't know.

Also yes to muzzles kicking up dust.

Apparition

FNG / Fresh Meat
Aug 31, 2011
Is this affected by any games settings?

Texture settings, character detail, or Post Processing?

I have Post Processing set to low and I sometimes have a hard time seeing muzzle flashes and kick ups from bullets hitting the environment.

BigPickle51

FNG / Fresh Meat
Sep 8, 2011
A very Big +1

fireship4

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 21, 2005
I would say post-processing is unlkely to affect this much as you say, post processing is like adding after effects, such as motion blur, bloom, saturation, blurring, that type of thing, which are affected by what's already there in the game world. So it shouldn't affect whether the particle effect from a bullet hit is there or not.

But I'm not sure.

FBOTheLiuetenant

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 20, 2006
www.righttorule.com
I don't think that there needs to be more of an impact effect when bullets hit a person. The reason I say this is because there already is a noticeable blood mist. It can sometimes be hard to see, but when playing Spartanovka last night I was able to see the impact from 200 meters away. This was after first reading this thread, so I may have been playing extra attention to spoting the impact effect, but it is clearly visible even at considerable distance.

DiedTrying

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jan 17, 2011
USA Prime Credit
It really depends on the what the ground is actually made of.

If it's a soft clay, there won't be much dust or dirt kick up. If it's sand there will be a lot kicked up.

I'd hate to see a cloud of dust kick up when I shoot into a muddy river bank....

FBOTheLiuetenant

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 20, 2006
www.righttorule.com
It really depends on the what the ground is actually made of.

If it's a soft clay, there won't be much dust or dirt kick up. If it's sand there will be a lot kicked up.

I'd hate to see a cloud of dust kick up when I shoot into a muddy river bank....
This is true too. I do think TW has done a good job creating different particle effects for each type of surface ie the differences between impacting dirt, concrete, wood, metal and so on. Some of which are very noticeable, concrete for example produces a rather large particle effect, while wood is very subtle.

Colt .45 killer

FNG / Fresh Meat
May 19, 2006
Ground hits should definitely kick up more debris. I shot the ground once that was 6 feet infront of me, sent a geyser of mud & dirt up to atleast my eye level ( this was a while ago cant remember exactly how high). ( Note: I`m 6 feet tall )

Its likely that due to the steep angle down more mud was thrown up.