• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Modifying Sound Cues

dibbler67

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 4, 2011
Texas
Howdy!

I decided to post this here instead of the Sound forum, because I thought I might get a quicker response and because this might have something to do with just plain getting general changes effected within the SDK into the game!

Anyway, the issue is this: I've been trying to modify the AUD_Projectiles.upk package in order to greatly increase the frequency and volume of the supersonic crack effect. Using the instructions I found in this thread , I've tried a number of ways to accomplish this: I've modified the original Bullet_Whip_Cue SoundCue by changing the Random node's weighting to increase the frequency of the supersonic crack, I've created my own SoundCue to accomplish the same, and I've replaced every sound file with the supersonic crack (renamed.) Each time I've then saved the package and replaced the one in the main directory with my modified AUD_Projectiles.upk found in Documents/My Games/RedOrchestra2/ROGame/Unpublished/CookedPC/Packages/Audio

Nothing has worked! Within the editor all my modifications work, and if I right click the package and hit "Explore" it takes me to the main directory where I overwrote the original files. As soon as I play the game though, nothing has changed. Please help! This is very frustrating.

I accidentally posted this in the RO1 forums earlier :eek: . Whoops.

Last edited:
Dibs,

Over-writing/altering stock packages is strickly verboten (don't do it).

Best/only thing to do is make a seperate package with your sound files, then create a mutator to swap the files in game. Mutators have to be enacted server side and clients (players) also need the appropriate files to join.

Now go, search for how to make a mutator.
G'luck.

Upvote 0
Well I've looked around in the code and I've tried a few things.

I couldn't figure out how I could use a mutator to simply swap files, instead I looked in .../Red Orchestra 2/Development/Src/ROGame/Classes and found the class ROImpactEffectInfo.uc, which seems to hold the variable assignment I want to change.
Code:
class ROImpactEffect Info extends Object
        abstract;
/** sound that is played when the bullets go whizzing past your head */
var SoundCue BulletWhip;
defaultproperties
{
BulletWhip=SoundCue'AUD_Projectiles.Bullet_Whip.Bullet_Whip_Cue'
}

Now, I initially tried to write a mutator that was to change ROImpactEffectInfo's default properties, but I learned that this was not advisable (altering the game's code, instead of extending it) and difficult, as default properties are treated as constants by the compiler.

Undeterred, I wrote the class WhipReplacer:
Code:
class WhipReplacer extends ROImpactEffectInfo;

defaultproperties
{
	BulletWhip=SoundCue'ProjectileSoundMod.BulletFlyBys.Bullet_Flyby'
}
Little effort was involved :D

However, I don't know how to USE this class. I don't know what other classes to extend because I don't know which classes use this one! Can anyone help me out with this? Or just shove me in a new direction?

Upvote 0