• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Missing/different Skins/Cosmetics in Steam and KF2 In-game Inventories

Dahalonut

Aug 12, 2016
Hello KF community and moderators,

I sent a message to TWI Support via Email about 2 months ago about how I have different accessories and weapon skins available in my Steam inventory and my in-game inventory, with my in-game lacking content that my Steam Inventory has and am unable to select any of them or equip them in-game. I received a reply message telling me to delete the KF2 folder from 'My Documents' and to verify my file cache. I sent two more messages with additional information and screenshots, which have yet to be responded to. So, I shall come on the forums to see if anyone here can help me instead.

Not only have I deleted the 'KF2' folder from 'My Documents' as told to, but also deleted ALL mods and related files AND reinstalled the game and steam TWICE since then in order to try and fix this issue. I also do not have 'Steam Client Beta' active, which I read may have complications with KF2. It didn't work, and my items still do not show up at all.

I'd like this resolved so I can finally USE THE SKINS I PAID MONEY FOR, or earned in-game. I still have a 'dark-purple' ski-mask (which I sold over Steam Marketplace FOREVER AGO) THAT IS STILL IN MY IN-GAME INVENTORY AND IS NOT IN MY STEAM INVENTORY, and cannot use the 'standard' ski-mask I bought LAST MONTH or ANY OTHER SKINS I'VE GOTTEN SINCE (Including the new Horzine armor as it don't show up in my in-game 'Gear' menu and therefore cannot be selected). The 'Horzine Elite' pistol skins simply don't exist in-game. WHAT IS GOING ON? There are 20 item slots in-game, but I own 41 items in my Steam inventory, not counting stacks! They are unique skins or cosmetics, and I'm not counting but one of each USB drives or whatever. THAT MEANS I'M MISSING HALF MY INVENTORY! Near the end of the video, you can clearly see I cannot equip the 'Horzine Mark 7 Suit Elite' outfit nor its mask, which should be available on ALL characters, including the displayed Mister Foster. IT DOES NOT SHOW UP.

As of this most recent patch, I CAN'T EVEN SEE MOST OF MY INVENTORY! All that shows up are empty boxes! (Edit: this portion is explained as being a glitch with the current beta, but is not the main focus of this post. I am missing the items themselves, not just the icons. )

Included below is a URL to a video on Youtube I made regarding this demonstrating my problem and explaining it.

Please resolve this!

Last edited:
s5yn3t;n2267257 said:
Bloody nora....
Taken from KF 1041 WIP Changelog
Quote: KNOWN ISSUES
:
Preview images for cosmetic items and skins will not show up for some items. This cannot be fixed during beta without breaking it in the main branch. This will be fixed when the beta ends.

Character customization will reset to the default once you exit out of the game.

Yes, that's all fine and dandy that the icons problem is explained, but I STILL CANNOT SELECT or EQUIP many my owned items even in the character selection screen as shown in the video, and haven't been able to since before the Sharpshooter update, well before this beta. The items I own simply cannot be equipped, and that is the real problem, not the missing icons. I can't equip the cosmetics in-game that I bought or earned at all, even though they're in my steam inventory and I clearly own them.

Upvote 0
s5yn3t;n2267257 said:
Bloody nora....
Taken from KF 1041 WIP Changelog
Quote: KNOWN ISSUES
:
Preview images for cosmetic items and skins will not show up for some items. This cannot be fixed during beta without breaking it in the main branch. This will be fixed when the beta ends.

Character customization will reset to the default once you exit out of the game.

I'm guessing you didn't read the post or watch the video. This issue has nothing to do with what you posted.

To OP I'm not sure what could be causing it but it looks like your game stopped talking to the steam item server. I am guessing this can happen in KF2 the same as it does for TF2 occasionally. You can try turning off steam cloud so it always uses your local saved files and also going to your steam folder and deleting the clientregistry.blob

also you can try the steps posted here:https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3134-TIAL-4638

Or delete everything in your steam folder except steam.exe and the steamapps folder (where your games are installed) and then open steam.exe which will refresh all of your steam files. This fixes most errors. and I would say this looks to be more of a steam error than a game one
Good luck

Upvote 0
-0-A2ra3L-0-;n2267374 said:
I'm guessing you didn't read the post or watch the video. This issue has nothing to do with what you posted.

To OP I'm not sure what could be causing it but it looks like your game stopped talking to the steam item server. I am guessing this can happen in KF2 the same as it does for TF2 occasionally. You can try turning off steam cloud so it always uses your local saved files and also going to your steam folder and deleting the clientregistry.blob

also you can try the steps posted here:https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3134-TIAL-4638

Or delete everything in your steam folder except steam.exe and the steamapps folder (where your games are installed) and then open steam.exe which will refresh all of your steam files. This fixes most errors. and I would say this looks to be more of a steam error than a game one
Good luck

Deleting all steam folders fixed it! Thank you so much! I tried re-installing steam before, and even resetting it via that other method you linked, but I guess it retained the certain steam folders that were causing the issue. It just goes to prove if you want something done right, manually do it. Respect +1 to you! :D:D

Upvote 0
Does anybody know the specific folder? I kind of have this problem. Items show up on the steam inventory but not in-game.

Example: I had just finished an online HoE match as gunslinger and got a Cowboy Hat (very fitting), funny enough I was able to equip and played some more.

NEXT TIME I LAUNCHED THE GAME: every cosmetic (aside from default) is gone, so I can not equip, because they don't show up, but I have them and can see all of them on my steam inventory.

Just so happens that every item I get I can equip, but it vanishes next time I launch the game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Don't delete the whole files in steam folder as suggested you will lose all your screenshots and other stuff you may want to keep.. Launching the Steam installer again may ask you if you want to repair Steam that may be a better way.. (edit: I tried but Steam installer no longer give you option to repair installation.. anyway reinstalling it over may do the trick, but anyway there are folders you want to keep in the Steam folder, so do not delete everything this is not a good option)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
omano;n2275843 said:
Don't delete the whole files in steam folder as suggested you will lose all your screenshots and other stuff you may want to keep.. Launching the Steam installer again may ask you if you want to repair Steam that may be a better way.. (edit: I tried but Steam installer no longer give you option to repair installation.. anyway reinstalling it over may do the trick, but anyway there are folders you want to keep in the Steam folder, so do not delete everything this is not a good option)

That is exactly what I was trying to prevent, loss of screenshots. I'll try to reinstall it and see if that fixes it. I'll post back if that works.

Thanks for replying :)

EDIT:

Installing Steam over its old folder turned out ineffective, it did not fix the missing cosmetics. I had also tried prior to this to verify integrity of game cache, clear download cache and reinstall the game. All of that did not help one bit, so I either back up my screenshots and use the delete method or find out what specific files are corrupted and prompting this bug.

2nd EDIT:

Apparently the problem is fixed but I'm no sure how. My items are showing again inside the game inventory and I can equip them. The only thing I did before I noticed they were showing again was some changes in the video settings for the game, then it started showing again.

Last edited:
Upvote 0