• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map MGS Horzine Labs

-MGS- Sniper

Grizzled Veteran
May 22, 2011
Ok I think this is ready for a beta, please note this map is still in production and more will be added, there will be bugs and things but please report any CONSTRUCTIVE feedback so as to improve the map :)

http://www.multigameservers.com/KF-BioLab.rar

oh and mgs = Mutligameservers NOT metal gear solid lol

Don't forget if running on custom servers to add to maplist.

Also screen shots are kinda old there is more decaling than that

Have fun !

NB PLEASE DO NOT EDIT THIS MAP AS ITS STILL IN BETA AND WILL CAUSE MANY ISSUES WITH VERSION NUMBERS, I WILL HAPPILY MAKE FIXES IF REPORTED IN THIS THREAD.

Credits to :

DeviousFurball for awesome intro voice
Tripwire for assets used.

Attachments

• 2015-05-01_00002.jpg
    2015-05-01_00002.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 2015-05-01_00001.jpg
    2015-05-01_00001.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 2015-05-03_00001.jpg
    2015-05-03_00001.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 2015-05-03_00002.jpg
    2015-05-03_00002.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I love that you took the time to think out the atmosphere of the map. The red and blue lights make for a very nice contrast, and while the prop placement seems almost random it's enough to make the player feel familiar with the map.
Now, the map as it is is pretty small. I felt cramped enough playing solo, don't know how would I feel in a full server. You could use those corridors with broken doors that spawn stuff as playable area. If you are making more areas I would suggest varying a little bit more on the lighting, either making it lighter, darker or a different color.
The locker room doesn't feel right for a starting area. It isn't connected to anywhere else but that main corridor, it doesn't look like you came from outside the lab like your intro proposes, seems more like your squad was taking a nap there while some nasty stuff took place in the lab. I would suggest adding a door to that red room that already looks like a reception hall but doesn't seem to have any purpose and make players spawn there. Also, the area where your character stands in stand by should be somewhat well lit so the player can properly customize their character.
The blood decals are pretty stretchy making them distracting, the poster on the corridor is stretched as well but isn't as distracting due to its minimalistic design but i believe you should take a look on it as well.

Upvote 0
Hi thanks to all for the feedback ;)

In regards to all the suggestions these will all be taken on board and reflected in the progress of the map.

Prop placement In some places was random as fillers until the map is properly decaled.

The map will be bigger and the spawns are going to be moved also I started the map with them there as I was gonna go in another direction with it lol

Lighting is not complete as yet there will be more colours etc.. Added

Thanks for all your feedback and keep an eye here for new updates.

Cheers

Upvote 0
ok Sniper.. after some testing, there were a few issues that I noticed.

minor :

1) the happy birthday sign in the hallway seems out of place.
2) also, there is a light shining on it with no apparent light fixture mesh.

major :

1) the room with the giant models of Hans, Fleshpound, and Scrake generally seems to default to a hold-out room. Players tend to camp this spot after every wave, and they never really see any other part of the map.

a) maybe add a spawn volume or two in the ceiling for crawlers to drop down into the room to help prevent players from camping there.

b) Hans seems to have issues in this room also. He can easily get trapped against the chairs or against the wall where the large viewing windows are. When he does, players can rush forward to circle jerk him greatly reducing his threat value for an easy kill. He throws his grenades well out of range leaving only the twin vipers and the life drain attacks as his only options.

Other than that, I have not found any other issues yet. Will keep testing when I can and report any findings.

On a personal note, I actually like the map and think you did a really good job. The voice over in the beginning was awesome. Not sure how you did that, but it was a great touch. "MGS Labs" ? Is that a hint that you worked for Horzine helping to create these genetic freaks? :D

Upvote 0
First I want to say that I really appreciate the work you're doing on this map. I love the way its coming together. The changes in BetaB look awesome. Also your map seems pretty popular with a lot of people.

I have noticed an issue unfortunately. If you take a look at my screnshot http://cl.ly/image/102h3E323r35/o (a poor one I must confess), there seems to be a problem with Scrakes and FPs specifically when it comes to where the two aKa players are sitting. They seem to get up real close to the players (if they're aggro'ed by them) and just stand around looking confused. I guess I can describe as how they look when they are being circle strafed. Basically, the players don't seem to take damage from them.

Secondly, although I didn't see the event actually happen as I was further back in the red room, but Hans basically went through one player drain only. I was told that one of the players was crouched in that little hallway that you see in the screenshot and just kept shooting as I'm sure others did. I think he was glitched in there because before I knew it, he was dead having only gone through one phase.

Upvote 0
Version BetaC now released first post update, I also noticed a lot of server admins running the first version, you should update to the newest!

http://www.multigameservers.com/KF-MGSHorzineBetaD.rar

First post Link updated also,

Change log :

- pathing improved
- Spawns improved and additional added
- New beginning sequence
- Few adjustments here and there
- Few bug fixes
- increased lighting a small amount

Last edited:
Upvote 0