• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Mapping Hardship + WIP KF-Roam

This is WIP KF2 Map I am working on for the Competition.

KF-Roam - as in 'Roam wasn't built in a day' ;)

But first, a little Background Information:

For some unknown reason I could never quite get into Killing Floor 1 - something just didn't gel for me? I don't know why :confused: ? Especially when so many others enjoyed it so much.

When the KF2 Free weekend came around - I gave the game a whirl and surprisingly :eek: really Really enjoyed it :)...but I didn't purchase :(

So I returned to my exhaustive list of games I could drown myself in.

THEN...when the KF2 Grindhouse Mapping Contest was announced - I immediately purchase KF2:cool:

Mapping is like a side hobby. Something I enjoy doing alongside my gaming but can never quite finish a project - normally due to real life commitments.

I've mapped for the COD series using radiant. I've mapped for games that use the Source engine. I've mapped for Americas Army Proving Grounds which uses the Unreal Engine.

So with the KF2 mapping competitions - with those time frames - I thought 'Yeah, I can do that".

So after purchasing KF2 my steep learning curve Mapping for KF2 began. Even though I have mapped in Unreal Engine before, I had forgotten alot of what I new - so I hit youtube and watched as many UDK tutorials as possible.

Then I took what I learnt from those tutorials and tried to apply them to a map idea I had and tried to make in another game. It didn't take long for my frustration levels to rise. In rage one night - the level I am about to show you, the ground work was done within an hour!

What I picked up after much research and lots of trial and error:
- Meshes must be used for blood splatter to work effectively
- Brushes are frowned upon (although some level designers do use them)
- Terrain is not supported (found this the hard way, didn't read the Tripwire wiki until after I had created and molded huge terrain)
- Cant import custom textures (tried multiple times and just failed. Maybe I'm just doing it the wrong way?)
- Save your works LOTS (had to restart map several times due to editor crashing and map file corrupting :mad:)

I spent 40 hours in the editor before beginning the following map. I have no idea if this is classified as a good map or not - It is my first KF2 attempt.

Spent way to much time making sure all zeds spawned correctly, followed path nodes, doors worked as they should and trader posts worked - then again, all these combined make it playable.

Here's I am playing four waves of the map. At this early stage I found it fun to play. I hope you will too when I release it.

https://youtu.be/wuLSSasKxCM

Don't know if Youtube embedding works in this forum so just posted the link.

PS: All the other entries that have been submitted so far, have all been fun to play. Happy mapping.