• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

ManEater for Steam

People just don't like the idea of exclusives. Pretty much the only exclusives on steam are valve games. I'll probably just rent it or something.
Steam has paid for exclusivity and early access premiers but nobody talks about that. Additionally, Origin has done this as well. Steams problem is that it's bloated with trash titles - quantity over quality, eh? It's why what little titles are pushed on Epic always end up being best sellers on pc, period.

Upvote 0
Steam has paid for exclusivity and early access premiers but nobody talks about that.
Like what? Honestly I just assumed it was Valve games. I saw some article about Risk of Rain 2 but people say that was a misunderstanding. Love to see some examples. Like if we're talking about games that the platform is fronting development cost for that title I get it, but mostly it's a game that would be coming out and EGS coming in with a bag of money to secure exclusivity.

Either way my problem isn't even just exclusives it's particularly kickstarted games like Dauntless or Shenmue III that were promised on steam or even DRM Free but turned into EGS exclusives when they flash the money. Certainly the companies are at fault for going against their word but that specifically is the kind of stuff that makes me not a fan of EGS. I understand it's business and no one has any real values or morals but going after kickstarted games to me is just too aggressive.

Upvote 0
Like what? Honestly I just assumed it was Valve games. I saw some article about Risk of Rain 2 but people say that was a misunderstanding. Love to see some examples. Like if we're talking about games that the platform is fronting development cost for that title I get it, but mostly it's a game that would be coming out and EGS coming in with a bag of money to secure exclusivity.

Either way my problem isn't even just exclusives it's particularly kickstarted games like Dauntless or Shenmue III that were promised on steam or even DRM Free but turned into EGS exclusives when they flash the money. Certainly the companies are at fault for going against their word but that specifically is the kind of stuff that makes me not a fan of EGS. I understand it's business and no one has any real values or morals but going after kickstarted games to me is just too aggressive.
Eh, there's quite a few indie games on Steam that Valve has paid to keep excusive to their storefront. The difference is nobody's talking about it, just like nobody talked about Origin paying for exclusives for their premiere program. Nobody talks about these things because it will thwat their opinions on Epic being the bad guy. Not sure if I want to list them (even though we have public proof), I have a feeling that it will just start an argument for future people who come here but I will say that it spans back to the times where Greenlight was initiated.

The process became more prominent ans intensified when Epic started stealing games away and now we see Epic giving games like GTAV and Death coming away for free. These aren't exclusives but Epic is giving them money to featured the game on their store free and help grow Epic's userbase. It seems to be working and the more people who use Epic, the more people are realizing the myths about the spyware and so on just aren't true.

In the end, I don't have an issue with PC game exclusivity. To be completely honest, pc exclusivity is far better than console exclusvity. At least pc gamers aren't forced to spend another $400.00 to play a game on the opposite side.

Upvote 0
Eh, there's quite a few indie games on Steam that Valve has paid to keep excusive to their storefront. The difference is nobody's talking about it, just like nobody talked about Origin paying for exclusives for their premiere program. Nobody talks about these things because it will thwat their opinions on Epic being the bad guy. Not sure if I want to list them (even though we have public proof), I have a feeling that it will just start an argument for future people who come here but I will say that it spans back to the times where Greenlight was initiated.
So you're talking about games from a system that is 8 years old and was closed down 3 years ago? Maybe the reason no one is talking about it is because of that. I somehow doubt the list is all that impressive either, nor does it compare to how aggressive Epic pursues exclusivity.

Either way my core issue with Epic was what they did with Shenmue III and Dauntless. If they keep making deals with kickstarter games they'll never produce enough goodwill for me to use their storefront. If they stop doing it I probably won't mind these exclusives so much in the future.

Upvote 0
So you're talking about games from a system that is 8 years old and was closed down 3 years ago? Maybe the reason no one is talking about it is because of that. I somehow doubt the list is all that impressive either, nor does it compare to how aggressive Epic pursues exclusivity.

Either way my core issue with Epic was what they did with Shenmue III and Dauntless. If they keep making deals with kickstarter games they'll never produce enough goodwill for me to use their storefront. If they stop doing it I probably won't mind these exclusives so much in the future.
The reason why nobody talks about it is, like I said before, because it will prove that Epic is doing no different than following in Valve and EA's footsteps. Whether the list is long or short is irrelevant though, it still happened. Both EA and Valve have paid devs to feature their games on their store, even certain VR games.

Shenmue III, uggghh, that reminded me of Mighty No. 9. There was really no way both those games wouldn't have been bad. The devs are scammers to say the least.

Upvote 0