• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO2 Making voices manually invoked: Suggestion

Proud_God

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 22, 2005
Belgium
There are two extreme situations regarding the character's speech:
A) Automatic voices: like it is now
B) No automatic voices

Both have downsides imo:
A) can often feel cheap as it can give your position away and it removes a sense of control of your own avatar.
B) would make for a quiet battlefield, as using the command wheel is often not feasible, and a lot of voices are not even available to be called manually

What if there was an option in between:

Your character does not automatically talk; instead any of the automatic voices that would be uttered in the current situation, are now displayed as text in the bottom of your screen in a different area from the chat area; should not be intrusive. They are a suggestion of what you could say. A dedicated button would make you actually say what is displayed.

Example:
- a grenade lands near you
- the text '<yell: "Grenade!"> would appear for several seconds on your screen
- if you do nothing, you won't say anything
- if you press the dedicated button while this text is displayed, you will yell "Grenade!"

To be clear: there is only one dedicated button needed for all the voice commands.

That's it!

Last edited:
Hmm, I think I don't like the idea. I never had the time in Ro1 to hit the key that says "Grenade!"... and that's why they implemented automatic voices, so we don't have to think about that level of communication.

But I have, every once in a while only, given away my position with automatic voice. I get the feeling that the avatar only voices up when he has friendlies nearby to speak to, and so usually when I'm creeping, my guy doesn't say anything and stealth is maintained until I stab multiple enemies. I think the negatives of automatic voice are over-emphasized on the forums, it's rarely an actual problem in-game.

But that said, perhaps the unwritten rules of automatic voice could be clarified by TWI for those of us who care enough to read threads like this.

Upvote 0
Hmm, I think I don't like the idea. I never had the time in Ro1 to hit the key that says "Grenade!"... and that's why they implemented automatic voices, so we don't have to think about that level of communication.

But I have, every once in a while only, given away my position with automatic voice. I get the feeling that the avatar only voices up when he has friendlies nearby to speak to, and so usually when I'm creeping, my guy doesn't say anything and stealth is maintained until I stab multiple enemies. I think the negatives of automatic voice are over-emphasized on the forums, it's rarely an actual problem in-game.

But that said, perhaps the unwritten rules of automatic voice could be clarified by TWI for those of us who care enough to read threads like this.
Absolutely agree here. I count myself to those who like the automated voices and don't have grave problems while sneaking behind enemy lines.

Upvote 0
i'm not completely sure about this, but from my experience it seems that if there aren't any teammates around you, your avatar doesn't actually make many voices that could give away your position.

i think the voice do add to the atmosphere and if they weren't automated, majority of people just wouldn't bother and it would make the battlefield more silent.

realistic would probably be to have less "flavour voices" (ie not something like calling out a grenade with teammates around) the higher rank you are, but i'm against having artificial benefits for people who played longer and the progression system is already a pretty significant advantage so it would be even more stupid than it currently is.

Upvote 0