• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Machineguns and FPL's

oldsoldier173

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 19, 2012
Ceresco, NE
Fixed machineguns (MMG's) can be your greatest asset on defense. Most of the guns overlook 'firelanes' that the enemy has to cross to advance. A good machinegunner will 'lock' his gun at an aiming point down this firelane, and with short burst keep firing that FPL (final protective line) and keeping a 'wall' of fire the enemy has to cross. Too many just try and aim the gun, which is not as effective.

There are two aspects that also are provided by the MMG's. The physcological effect of it's firing and the enemies 'fixation' on that gun where the enemy forgets to advance in order to get 'the gun'. A good gunner will lock on the FPL, go to crouch and continually short burst along that FPL.

Also when on a MMG there are times you need to get to the far left or right of the apature you are firing out of, find a firelane and lock the gun. Too many MMG's center themselves where snipers and or rifles/lmg's make short work of you as you are 'profiled' in that hole.

A good machinegunner will 'lock' his gun at an aiming point down this firelane, and with short burst keep firing that FPL (final protective line) and keeping a 'wall' of fire the enemy has to cross. Too many just try and aim the gun, which is not as effective.

What about MMGs that overlook multiple firelanes? e.g. both sides of a building directly in front of your position. You potentially have to sweep both left and right to ensure that attackers don't flank you from either side. This can be made worse if the building has windows facing you which the enemy can use to fire upon your position. I find such MMGs quite challenging to man...

Upvote 0
Many times I find most fixed MG's as a death wish as they seem to attract bullets like a magnet.

Well i consider that as an good thing, since the enemy will be focused on you, and you can keep suppressing them and machine gun bullets penetrate most walls and if you keep firing crouched it gives your teammates easier time, since you will draw so much fire and be distracting the enemy from advancing

( but yes some maps have MG positions that have snipers looking at them 24/7 and you will die when you decide to man it, but that still takes 1 man to keep the MG in check )

Upvote 0
I find most MMG's to have rather bad fields of fire. Some of them have really good firing lanes, but most just have like 20 meters of view infront of them full of cover and then a Building or Hill blocking the sight in a position really not that often traversed, having flanks open on either side. The fixed MG i use most often is the one in the Buiding blocked by sandbags on the last cap in Winterwald, usually just go for a quick sweep over the hilltop and get 3-6 kills and then stay in cover for a while. but thats just me, and iam really not a avid MGer

Upvote 0