• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
nope.

Only the fire damage counts as fire damage, the bullet and HS damage don't count for leveling. So if your goal is to level, aim for the chest, if your goal is to survive, aim for the head.
Best survivalist then would be a perk 6 cuz wouldn't have to lvl up and would do all best to survive :(

Upvote 0
Yea, but just aim for chest. If you hit them at range, for example on West London map, then they're dead by the time they get to you and you don't need the hs. It's difficult to drop from head to chest constantly when aiming, but it levels you nicely. If they're still moving close to you, switch back to the head and blast away.

I'd note that the Medic has one weapon, Firebug has two. You're already one up on my class. :p

Upvote 0
well I think thats balls. if your pyro and have the mac ten it should count no matter the damage. the pyro is left with just the flamethrower where as EVERY other attack class has multiple weapons available.

The FIREbug is supposed to use the FLAMEthrower. If you look at the little bar under the perk when you're selecting class, it reads: "Deal X fire damage with the Flamethrower." Since the Firebug gets the incendiary ammunition for the Mac10 the burn damage from that will also count. While it'd be cool to have more flame-based weapons available, you can do extremely well as-is. :D

Upvote 0
nope.

Only the fire damage counts as fire damage, the bullet and HS damage don't count for leveling. So if your goal is to level, aim for the chest, if your goal is to survive, aim for the head.

Honestly I've never liked the Mac's bullet damage not counting toward Firebug leveling for this fact. As much as possible, the goal of survival and the processes required to level should be one in the same. Yes it's somewhat illogical, but then the entire process of gaining experience in a meter for a gun to become deadlier is somewhat illogical, so I don't see any problem with having the bullet count as Firebug damage.

It's not like the Bug doesn't already level ridiculously slow compared to every other perk damage-wise anyway. Honestly I would have made the requirement depend on setting X enemies alight instead of straight damage, since the way the Flamethrower puts out damage is different from, say, an AK.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think the big problem with that logic is the Firebug is about burning things... if you kill something with a incendiary bullet then its the bullet that kills him, no the fact its incendiary.

Since it is "Fire Damage" I don't think a kill via a raw bullet should count to a perk about fire damage. :)

But of course I levelled up the old fashioned way with my trusty flamethrower, which I still love more to this day. So perhaps I'm just being nostalgic ;)

Upvote 0
But of course I levelled up the old fashioned way with my trusty flamethrower, which I still love more to this day. So perhaps I'm just being nostalgic ;)

I tend to use the Mac10 as a panic button against scrakes/ fp's. For some reason I always end up in games with firebugs that just hold mouse1 and indiscriminately set everything ablaze and players that generally refuse to let the sharpshooter or berserker kill scrakes. People have been getting better about actually focusing fire on the fleshpound, which sort of scares me.

Other than spraying the Mac10 while screaming "get it off me! get it off me!" I'll just semi-auto a few rounds into husks.

Seems like very few of the firebugs I've seen make an effort to stay out of melee range and/or conserve their flamethrower's fuel. Was on departed with a level 4 firebug this afternoon, he/ she/ it always had to main the Mac10 less than halfway through the wave.

Upvote 0
well I think thats balls. if your pyro and have the mac ten it should count no matter the damage. the pyro is left with just the flamethrower where as EVERY other attack class has multiple weapons available.

Yup, that's why the firebug is still one dimensional even though he has an awesome weapon, the mac10. But since you don't want leveling up to take forever, you are forced to always use the flamethrower whenever possible. I would play firebug much more frequently if I could level up as fast with the mac10 as the flamethrower.

Upvote 0
I think the big problem with that logic is the Firebug is about burning things... if you kill something with a incendiary bullet then its the bullet that kills him, no the fact its incendiary.

Since it is "Fire Damage" I don't think a kill via a raw bullet should count to a perk about fire damage. :)

Honestly I've never liked the Mac's bullet damage not counting toward Firebug leveling for this fact. As much as possible, the goal of survival and the processes required to level should be one in the same. Yes it's somewhat illogical, but then the entire process of gaining experience in a meter for a gun to become deadlier is somewhat illogical, so I don't see any problem with having the bullet count as Firebug damage.

It's not like the Bug doesn't already level ridiculously slow compared to every other perk damage-wise anyway. Honestly I would have made the requirement depend on setting X enemies alight instead of straight damage, since the way the Flamethrower puts out damage is different from, say, an AK.

Not pointing it out in a mocking way, but I was attempting to preempt this argument as indeed being simply nostalgia. :)

I know it's not realistic, but the perk system is one of the areas of the game that is really in the realm of surrealism (unrealism?) from the get-go, so I really don't think it'd be too much of a problem. The gameplay price in frustration and the separation of leveling goals and survival goals is more then adequate to justify making the leveling a tad less "realistic" imo.

Upvote 0
I know it's not realistic, but the perk system is one of the areas of the game that is really in the realm of surrealism (unrealism?) from the get-go, so I really don't think it'd be too much of a problem. The gameplay price in frustration and the separation of leveling goals and survival goals is more then adequate to justify making the leveling a tad less "realistic" imo.

The trader only knows to give you a discount at the shop because you've got that "grizzled veteran" look about you that comes from killing 10,000 specimens. :D

Upvote 0
I see the slow levelling with the MAC 10 as a balancing measure: It is more powerfull than the flamethrower unless you are in a cramped space. Thus, noone would use FT over M10 unless you dealt more _fire_ damage with it. It is one of the small choices in life.

Personally I think the advantage the Flamethroyer has is that it's much easier to cover entire groups with it. It's also better for Crawlers.

Upvote 0
I love the flamethrower because it creates a huge mess of gore, gibs, flesh and blood everywhere! Nothing satisfies more than seeing a clot running around screaming as it's skin is slowly seperated from muscle and fascia and fall on the ground creating a huge gorey mess. I remember back in the KFMod when the first concept of the flamethrower came out and everybody said it will be the most used wepon even though it had half the damage it does now, you could kill your team mates with it on 0% friendly fire, you would also set yourself on fire blurring your vision, and it had no perk to it (Not until Marco's 2.51 Patch). Funny how things change.

Reactions: C_Gibby
Upvote 0
I love the flamethrower because it creates a huge mess of gore, gibs, flesh and blood everywhere! Nothing satisfies more than seeing a clot running around screaming as it's skin is slowly seperated from muscle and fascia and fall on the ground creating a huge gorey mess.

I can only express my full agreement on above sentiments. I found firebug the most entertaining perk to level, if not the most efficient. I return to it whenever I don't have to play at my highest DPS.

Upvote 0