• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

M14 EBR = disappointment

Ihmhi

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 7, 2009
www.asseater.org
I played with it for a few waves, and I'm sure I'll get used to it, but I'm disappointed with the lack of a scope for the M14 EBR.

I was playing on Heresy Beta 3 and it was rather hard to see a lot of the Zeds, much less get a decent headshot, unless they were closer. I imagine M14 is goin to be relegated to a backup weapon while Crossbow remains superior, instead of the other way around. A laser sight is no substitute for a scope.

in b4 someone complaining about me complaining.

I don't play Sharp much and I don't think I really will until we get a decent Sniper rifle with a scope.

The dot is almost impossible to see from far far away, whereas a scope, seeing as it IS a sniper rifle, would make it much more useful for its intended purpose of sniping specimens. I was annoyed as well by the lack of scope, but the power of the gun does make up for it a little bit. I definitely lost interest in playing sharpshooter for the weapon, though.

Upvote 0
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M14_EBR

It's meant to be used with a scope. Marksmen would be pretty ineffective with a laser sight if they're trying to use this to pick off their target. I would much rather take the scope off the crossbow as I've never physically seen a scoped crossbow at any of the shooting ranges I've gone to, and slap it on a gun that's more fitting.

Upvote 0
Doesn't the M14 have a laser sight? Or are you stating you'd rather have zoom over a dot?

Yes, but you can't zoom in. That's the point. The laser sight is useless at range.

Moreover, you're limited at precision by the engine because of your field of view. If you're going to hit a specimen really far away, you can't aim terribly precisely because the (invisible) crosshairs move in increments. The only way to make those increments more precise is to either zoom in (basically increase the FoV) or wait for them to get closer - which seems to be the antithesis of playing a marksman.

I wonder if there's a FoV command that can be used in KF like in HL2 etc...

Upvote 0
i bet he didnt even try the alt fire laser scope that thing is a excellent gun taking down a scrake on suicidle with level 6 ss.

Yes, yes I did. I played one full Long game, solo, on Hard, using the M14 EBR as soon as I could get it.

It's a great gun, but my main issue is that you can't hit stuff at great distances, which seems to me would be what a Sharpshooter would do.

Upvote 0
Yes, but you can't zoom in. That's the point. The laser sight is useless at range.

Moreover, you're limited at precision by the engine because of your field of view. If you're going to hit a specimen really far away, you can't aim terribly precisely because the (invisible) crosshairs move in increments. The only way to make those increments more precise is to either zoom in (basically increase the FoV) or wait for them to get closer - which seems to be the antithesis of playing a marksman.

I wonder if there's a FoV command that can be used in KF like in HL2 etc...

Sadly that would more than likely be considered a "zoomhack". Maybe TWI will listen to our requests for a scope since we're being good little minions and buying up the char packs like crazy. Why would we need a laser sight anyways with ironsights as our main? They're generally going to be the same accuracy at the same range. Laser sight should be the secondary option in place of a scope since we wouldnt have ironsights.

Upvote 0
actually the original M14 was fully automatic and was NOT designed to be a scoped sniper rifle. even the new version of the weapon, the EBR is not really meant to be a scoped sniper rifle. use ironsights, which btw are AWESOME. you guys should give the DH people those sights to use for the M1 which they really messed up on.

very pleased with this addition

Upvote 0
eh? The weapon is awesome. The laser sight combined with the damage and the rate of fire make it a great weapon for even close range combat.

Just beat a 6 man normal, long game on bedlam (one of the new maps in VERY close quarters) and killed everything in sight with ease using it. I don't know about hard or suicidal just yet but I suspect it'll perform well there too. Also its way more fun to use than the other sharpshooter weapons.

I only wish they'd let us carry both the M14 and xbow at the same time, but alas it is not to be.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'd be surprised if you were shooting at specimens any further away than 50m in this game. In which case, a Leupold 10x40 is kinda pointless.

Irons are fine. It's meant to be a shorter-range, rapid fire alternative to the xbow anyway.

I could very well use a scope on west london, foundry, biotics lab, farm, possibly the new maps I haven't even gotten a chance to try.

Doesn't have to be a huge zoom, but something similar to the crossbow, maybe even a smidge stronger would be great. But ironsights just dont cut it for the sniper purpose of the rifle on a map where I could pick off zeds before they even become a problem.

Upvote 0