• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

PC Low quality of burning sounds

Nines

FNG / Fresh Meat
Aug 9, 2020
Hello. I've recently just started playing the game and I've noticed some sounds of extremely low quality and it's not just a random sound of something unimportant. It's the sound of the first gun you will use as the Firebug class (Caulk N' Burn). So far I haven't heard anything quite like that among other weapons, but I can't guarantee that you can't find other problematic sounds. The extraction process is somewhat complicated so I did that just for Caulk N' Burn and Flamethrower.

The description says that some of the files (like the sound of the flame itself) has sampling frequency of 24000 Hz. This is already like a half of what's needed, because normally it's 44100 Hz.

To illustrate the point, I've analysed the sounds and will post a screenshot. If you have an audio engineer he will know what I'm talking about. The file I analysed is called "0010" from "WwiseDefaultBank_WW_WEP_SA_CaulkBurn.bnk" located in "killingfloor2\KFGame\BrewedPC\WwiseAudio\Windows".

Sound.png

As you can see there is a steep cut just above 11-12k Hz.

Note that I'm not expecting this game to have a movie-level quality of sound, but this is unacceptable even for a mid-2000s game. If it was made deliberately to save some space, then I think it is a bad decision because it is audible. I'm not even saying that the whole WwiseAudio folder is like 2.5GB in size, while the game is 60 gigs.

Flamethrower .bnk file also has some sounds which are of lower quality than usual, but it is not as noticeable as this. I wasn't able to guess which .bnk has the sounds of burning flesh, but I feel like they are also a part of the problem.

Another audio "issue" I experienced is that AA12 really lacks a "punch" compared to the first game. It is more of a suggestion, but I'll just write it here. Note that on the video below, you can also find Caulk N' Burn and it is exactly how I hear it in the game.