• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics List all of your loadouts for Survivalist!

infntnub

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Pennsylvania
As the topic suggests - what do you play the perk with? Maybe you can give other people ideas to tinker with.

Katana
Med Pistol
RPG (I usually buy a boomstick early on and upgrade to the RPG later when I have the dosh)
** I generally only use this loadout on Hard since the RPG seems like junk on SUI in the hands of this perk

Katana
Trenchgun
Boomstick
**very well-rounded -> use the trench to spam large groups with fire, boomstick for spike damage on scrakes and assist on fp's -> katana for hordes of clots/slashers/gorefasts

Katana
M79
Medic SMG
**this is the loadout I use if the team is pretty well balanced amongst the perks -> can help medic heal if needed or a demo spam large groups -> overall this loadout is more fun than useful though

I'm still experimenting - haven't really tried to include Sharpshooter, Swat or Commando weapons yet - so I'm sure I'm overlooking some good alternatives. :)

Boomstick + M16 + RPG

Since Survivalist is lacking ammo increase skill completely, i am not using any commando/swat weapon on him and i feel sorry about that.
Support and demo weapons are perfect cuz they both share same skill on level 5.

I was using boomstick as secondary for Demo before Survivalist so it was my first must-try combo :D

Upvote 0
I was rolling with Bone Crusher and an M79 last night on SUI... I honestly didn't expect it to work well but the spontaenous zedbustion works amazingly well with the Bone Crusher lol. Although I'm considering the other level 20 skill to enhance the effects of the M79.. I'll play with it some more later this week.

Somehow the "Heavy" attacks still can knock a Scrake to the ground. That really surprised me (but I guess that's more a weapon feature for the Bone Crusher than a perk feature :)). The shield attack still worked pretty well, as well.

M79 for the little hordes of annoying stuff.

Upvote 0
vexgass;n2287047 said:

This is really good! If you want weapon loadouts for solo big ZED takedowns on 6-man HoE this is the video to watch. The only downside is that the author has crazy good aim that will be challenging to replicate reliably. The Railgun + Double Barrel combo really impressed me, since that leaves you with 6 weight units to buy a trash killing weapon. I'm thinking Trench gun to maximize on the perk reload... assuming cross-perking of the Firebug shotgun to Support also works for Survivalist. Hope it does.

I tested it out: Railgun+Double Barrel+Trench on HoE. My aim is definitely nowhere near as consistent but it worked quite well. My main problem is that I ended up with a weak team that couldn't even clear trash effectively. This meant I ran out of Trench ammo. That was bad.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
First waves crovel+trench gun until wave 4. Then sell crovel.
Trenchgun+double barrel+railgun(+medic pistol if group play) = total weight 18 (19 group play). Extremly easy solo, for group play if you miss a lot of headshots with railgun then switch to rocket launcher.

Skill tree : LLLR dunno about the 5th skill mein is lvl 23 so far.

e: note that it's important to keep the melee skill even if you don't use melee after wave 4, switching to your knife will grant you an amasing movement speed boost, very useful to escape and or to free roam around the map for supplies, going faster to trader etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So lately I've been doing this a lot..

Spawn as Support for wave 1 and keep the shottie when I swap over to Survivalist after 3 or 4 waves (once I have enough dosh to buy an RPG).

From there I buy the med pistol, as well.

For the first 6 or 7 waves I maintain this loadout:

SG500 (heavy weapons reload)
RPG (heavy weapons reload)
Med Pistol (level 10 medic training and level 15 ammo vest for med nades)

I pair this with zed-splosion level 20 skill and level 25 madman skill.

I usually upgrade from the SG to the HZ when dosh allows.

An alternative to this loadout if I feel like gunslinging is to swap out the shotgun for dual handcannons. Just a matter of changing over the level 5 reload skill. Again though, this requires more dosh so I typically don't get around to this until later waves.

Handcannons pair amazingly well with the RPG though. (I also do this sometimes on Gunslinger for giggles :))

Upvote 0
Level 21. Double Barrel, M79, RPG

Skills RLRR

Its a weaker demo in terms of damage output but the Double Barrel + RPG is a good loadout for taking down FPs and Scrakes. M79 for groups of trash.

Tested in Suicidal. The main problem with this loadout is the boss round, you can run out of RPG rounds very quickly, same for DBS. You need a support on your team and a pair of ammunition crates to have 4 or 5 RPGs for the last boss health bar.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I consider the perk to be incredibly broken so I don't even bother playing as it, but as it stands I think the most obvious "best" loadout is a shotgun and something explosive and/or something long-range.
Makes sense to have a railgun/RPG for powerful zeds and a close-quarters weapon for personal defense. You take a perk like Sharp and Demo who are pretty reliant on the team for general defense with their higher tier weapons and make them more versatile. Then again, one of the things I dislike about the current survivalist is it makes them very self reliant in general. Seems like a solo-play/lone-wolf type class to me.

Commando/SWAT/Gunslinger weapon sets for the class make no sense to me. You get none of the benefits of those classes (ammo capacity, magazine boost, stalker sight, movement bonus, armor bonus, etc) but get all of the downsides (ammo hungry, expensive).
If I'm going to go for an assault rifle loadout I'll go Commando and I won't be upset that I can't use SMGs. Same for SWAT. If I really want a Deagle or 1911 as either of those kits I'll off-perk one, still better than the 9mm.

But if the Survivalist had ambiguous increases and skills, then it opens up some possibilities. M14 and Kriss? Yes please!

Upvote 0
So.. back to derping around here.

I've determined the current setup of the perk best aids a medic/support hybrid. I know it's tempting to take an RPG.

Lately I have started going sg500/m4/medpistol and it's been a lot of fun. The sg500 is very underwhelming, but it's still fine as a backup to the m4 if you run out of shells or taking out isolated low trash (cysts, crawlers, clots). On SUI/HOE the gorefasts/gorefiends tend to laugh at you when you use it though.. so I try to always have a few shells in the m4 ready.

I use the m4 in the loadout just because I don't see anyone using it right now - it must feel loved! :)

Switch it out for a dbs as you like.

For a while I have made the mistake of prioritizing healing while playing Survivalist. I think this may cripple your team further than just playing the perk in the first place (since the perk is pretty much agreed to be the weakest currently). However, it's nice to have the option to quick spam 2 darts and drop a med nade in preparation for things to get messy. It's a dynamic that just feels odd (yet cool) while playing a Support style Survivalist.

And ofc, using Foster is a must.

Upvote 0
infntnub;n2303683 said:
I've determined the current setup of the perk best aids a medic/support hybrid...
{snip}
... it's nice to have the option to quick spam 2 darts and drop a med nade in preparation for things to get messy.

I'd rather play as support and use the HMTech-301 shotgun + M4 + Boomstick.
More combat effectiveness, and the ability to support the team with both heals and resupplies.

Upvote 0
Skills:
RRRRL

Go-to kit is:
Winchester (x2 upgrade)
HX25 Grenade Pistol
Katana
(plus whetever else team might need)

Recent change (I found the Pulverizer works well vs FP/SC):
Winchester (x2 upgrade)
Pulverizer

Late-join kit (for later stages):
M16 or M4
Desert Eagle
Crovel

Boss kit (to maximize ammo pickup, and the speed boost of Eviscerator if I'm actively being chased):
Eviscerator
Crossbow (upgrade as I can afford)
Med Pistol (1 upgrade)

I'm probably going to work in the Hemoclobber somewhere, but I'm wondering if it's in addition to or replacing the Pulverizer (and having some other explosive option).

Upvote 0