• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Lack of cross perks?

GoodOl'RoboClaus

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 23, 2015
I've noticed that there has been a lack of cross perking with the weapons recently. Now I know it might be a tad difficult to balance with multiple perks, but then you balance weapons with them that make less sense.

So, regarding the new weapons:
Buckshot should be gunslinger
Hrg Nailgun should might be berserker?
Healthrower firebug?
Incision sharpshooter
Grenade rifle Demolitions?
Mosin berzerker
Riot glock Berzerker? and Gunslinger?
I feel like these weapons do fill in these rolls appropriately, This allows every perk to have a medic weapon to help with the healing, especially on the harder difficulties if the medic isn't there. I don't think the nailguns are berserker, but if one is, both should be. Maybe retool the Yuletide bundle weapons and make them better for close combat.

And regarding weapons that shouldn't be crossperked:
Winchester and centerfire should not be gunslinger
9mm, 1858, spitfire, and magnum should not be sharpshooter.
VLAD shouldn't be berserker.
The first two are solely because they don't make sense for their perk. The sniper should not have revolvers, for whatever reason, and pistolier shouldn't have lever action rifles. While I will not be dissuaded from the rifles being removed, I can be persuaded to keep in the single pistols for sharpshooter if you add all the dual pistols single pistol to it. Otherwise, it makes no sense. And the nailgun for the same reason as above. nailguns should both be berserker, or neither. I lean towards neither.

Part of the reason we have been doing HRG weapons is balancing a cross perk weapon has become a fairly difficult proposal with how cross perk works off the same base stats but with two different sets of bonses applied on top. Gettin to to feel "good" but not "OP or "bad" on one of the perks while being "good" for the main perk has proven to be quite the challenge. So the HRG weapons allow us to take those weapons and spread them out a bit more and keep the balance more under control.

Upvote 0
Fair enough.
I might suggest looking into the gunslinger/sharpshooter crossperks that don't need to be, that way those guns can be further fine tuned to their perk, rather than to two.
And I would still strongly suggest crossperking the medic weapons. It would be a boon so that every perk has a way of minoring in the medic without needing to lose out on their favourite perks.

Upvote 0
I feel like there are some weapons where cross-perking would greatly improve the usefulness of certain weapons while not necessarily making them overpowered.

IMO, here's what I think would benefit from being cross-perk weapons

Singular 1911
With the 1858 Revolvers doing the same damage, there isn't much to justify the 1911's usage on the Gunslinger. Heck, upgrading the Medic Pistol once will allow it to deal similar damage while also being able to heal teammates. I still think that the singular 1911 should count as a Gunslinger/Commando cross perk weapon since the gun has often been hailed as the original Commando weapon before video games were even a thing. On a gameplay standpoint, giving the 1911 to Commando grants him access to a 12 round sidearm that can deal 77.5 damage assuming the player is Level 25 and is using High Capacity Magazines and Hollow Point Rounds, which will definitely be a welcome addition for the earlier waves. (I find that Wave 3 is around the point where you will want multiple perk weapons as a Commando)

Mosin Nagant
I think i've made a thread about its questionable usefulness due to its weight and damage output, and my suggestion for it was to simply make it a Zerker weapon first and Sharpshooter weapon second. Allowing the Zerker to benefit from the Nagant would allow him to better deal with husks and bloats while usage of the Parry skill will also improve the weapon's gun damage. Also, seeing that the Nagant does maximum damage when firing just after a bayonet stab, I think it's reasonable to believe that only the Berserker would be able to exploit this damage boost due to his damage resistance. Assuming you are a Level 25 Zerker with Smash and Parry, I think it'd be worth posting a breakdown of damage bonuses if the Nagant was a Zerekr weapon

Bayonet stab: 100
Passive Perk weapon damage at Level 25: 25
Smash (+25% Headshot damage): 25
Parry (+35% Perk weapon damage for 10 seconds): 35
Base damage: 250
Passive Perk weapon damage at Level 25: 62.5
Smash (+25% Headshot damage): 62.5
Parry (+35% perk weapon damage for 10 seconds): 87.5
Damage increase when stabbing: Unknown (Can't seem to find this info on the official spreadsheet)

Max damage w/ Bayonet stab: 185
Max damage w/ gun: >462.5
Total max damage: >647.5

Sure, that's a lot of damage, but I think factoring in individual player skill can balance things out as bayonets can often be difficult to aim from my experience with KF2. For players that can consistently land headstabs with their bayonets, they can definitely go to down on fleshpounds with a World War II rifle, but the higher tier melees will definitely get more consistent results due to their ease of use.

Freezethrower
Honestly feels underwhelming to such a degree that whenever I play Survivalist, I forget that he even has perk weapons in the first place. Even though it isn't an incendiary weapon, I feel like the best way to buff it is to make it a Firebug weapon as doing so would allow it to benefit from a lot of things. The fact that it's also a spray weapon seems like it'd be something the Firebug would use, tbh.

Bring The Heat: Self-explanatory
Barbecue: No damage increases but zeds are frozen for longer
Ground Fire: Increased slowdown effect from ground ice
Napalm: Zeds won't be frozen on contact with frozen zeds, zeds are frozen for longer
ZED Shrapnel: Self-explanatory
Heat Wave and Firestorm: Self-explanatory
Pyromaniac: Unlimited ammo, will probably fire in real time with the alt-fire
Inferno: Increased slowdown effect

Reactions: missing_trigger
Upvote 0
The main issue I see with crossperking is that sometimes, TW crossperks just for the sake of crossperking. Like... Do the gunslinger really need the HX-25 and spitfires? Just for the sake of being pistols? Come on...

On the other hand, giving the .500 to the sharp is a blessing. Because it's lightweight, making it the most perfect secondary weapon to a single-fire, highly damaging primary.

And I think that's how everything should be done.

Why would the firebug get the healthrower? He's not a medic...
Why should the G18 become a gunslinger weapon? He's not about full-auto guns...
What would the incision bring that the Railgun doesn't?

I simply believe we need to think more cleverly about it all.

Upvote 0
Actually HX25 can have its use on a slinger (thing saved me a lot of time prestiging that perk)

But i do agree with spitfires..... more over why Sharp has access to a spitfire? if its useless on slinger, its even beyond useless on a sharp, might as well give hx25 to a sharp as it would bring some use to defending yourself than just shooting whole drum of a spitfire to kill 1 cyst.

Upvote 0
I do believe that part of the slinger's role is to precisely be a more nimble sharpshooter... which may deal less damage, but dispense it quicker.

The HX-25 doesn't really fit this philosophy IMO. If at least you could dual-wield them just for fun...

But I do get that it might be a great "last resort" gun for the perk. But I often have both multiple pistols AND quicker reloads to make up for it.

Upvote 0
The main issue I see with crossperking is that sometimes, TW crossperks just for the sake of crossperking. Like... Do the gunslinger really need the HX-25 and spitfires? Just for the sake of being pistols? Come on...

On the other hand, giving the .500 to the sharp is a blessing. Because it's lightweight, making it the most perfect secondary weapon to a single-fire, highly damaging primary.

And I think that's how everything should be done.

Why would the firebug get the healthrower? He's not a medic...
Why should the G18 become a gunslinger weapon? He's not about full-auto guns...
What would the incision bring that the Railgun doesn't?

I simply believe we need to think more cleverly about it all.
I think the HRG Incision has its toxic effect, just like the SMG, shotgun, and rifle, the HRG incision would be really cool if a sharpshooter can kill small zeds with darts

Upvote 0
The only crossperk I would like to see is the Tommy Boom on the SWAT too. This way you have a choice between both Tommy Gun and Tommy Boom. Plus the SWAT only has 13 weapons to pick from which is tied with the lowest (Firebug being the other one, but that's understandable), so would be nice to have one more weapon? So instead of making a new weapon, just crossperk the Tommy Boom.

Upvote 0
Also the Gunslinger having the Winchester and Centerfire makes perfect sense and here's how:

Gunslingers is clearly based off of the classic wild west cowboys and cowgirls. While those characters are known for duel wielding pistols, what else are they known for? That's right, using lever action rifles. So if anything it makes sense on a aesthetic level.

Upvote 0
@Bender the Offender : but why would the SWAT even use the Tommyboom...? As you said : he already has the regular tommygun, which behaves quite similarly. He also has access to NO bonuses to explosives (and why would he?), so it would probably end up being a worse option overall... or it could trade hitscan bullets for AoE projectiles? Still don't think it's enough to warrant having the Tommyboom as an option.
As for having "only" 13 weapons to choose from... I have quite a few things to note about it :

1) It has never been said anywhere that perks should be equal in terms of arsenal options

2) The game already suffers from content creep. Every perk has at least a couple of options that are really not needed.

3) The SWAT is mostly about SMGs, and while I'm sure those guns are highly customizable (I'm no gun-nut, but if Battlefield and Call of Duty are to be trusted, you can slap a ton of attachments on those things!), you can't really come up with very creative designs unless you go for blatantly over-the-top ideas. It's no wonder why the medic, zerk, firebug and demo have the most options : they're mostly summed up by "the heal class", "the melee class", "the fire class" and "the explosive class". Sadly, you don't really see their newest addition following a gameplay-centric meta. You just make a weapon shoot explosives and call it a day.

As for the Gunslinger... I think you got it all wrong if you believe perks are following a theme rather than a game design idea*. The GS ain't the "cowboy" of the game, it's the mid-range "sharpshooter", for lack of a better term. Otherwise he'd ONLY have the 1858s and the LARs. I do agree however that it fits the perk quite nicely. In fact, I barely use anything else than the Centerfire when using the Gunslinger... I just really like swimming around the zed horde while popping caps. I tend to favor the GS more than the SS precisely for the fact that he tends to be more nimble.

*I do admit though (as I've done in the past) that I believed the Zerk would be the "makeshift weaponry perk" when it was first revealed. The EMP grenades, eviscerator and especially the VLAD really made me think it would be the case, rather than the pure melee perk he's considered now. Outside of some pretty out-there options added down the line (the Teslauncher most of all... yikes)

Upvote 0
2) The game already suffers from content creep. Every perk has at least a couple of options that are really not needed.
Real and True.
I haven't been active in the game and community effectively for a year, and i no longer understand what you guys are talking about, and what each new gun does what.
It's just too much content (and not even good content) to keep track of.

Upvote 0
Holy Pit of Lazarus, Batman; this thread was a year old by the time I joined the boards.

Although looking at it, this is a thread I would absolutely have chipped in on before. Maybe the newer parts of the playerbase could use a reminder on why crossperks are a problematic addition to the game. And to address some of the stranger trains of thought.

Since OOP hasn't posted in three years I'm not going to directly call them out in quotes.

HRGs are intentionally not designed as crossperk weapons so the fast-moving damage-multiplier-ticking Gunslinger doesn't get shotguns that a) penetrate through trash and b) get instantly maxed out Rack-em-Ups while maintaining full killing power. The best TWI was willing to allow for that was the 2011s.

Hrg Nailgun should might be berserker?.
VLAD should not be Berserker.
I don't think the nailguns are berserker, but if one is, both should be.
Huh?

The Nailgun for Zerk isn't a crossperk; it was one of Berserker's original 4 weapons and as of the time of writing is currently one of Berserker's strongest weapons. It gives Zerk both insane burst damage potential and a limited distance weapon in exchange for not having its own melee capabilities like a good bash or blocking, but it synergizes so well with Zerk's kit that it doesn't matter.

The SWAT's HRG Nailgun when combined with Zerk's passives and bonuses would be patently absurd, because Berserker doesn't need a full-auto machine gun that completely wrecks crowds and large Zeds. The HRG Nailer is designed around SWAT's kit, not Zerk's.

Healthrower firebug?
I would ask why OP thought this was a good idea, but again: three+ years...

Incision sharpshooter
See point about HRG. The Corrupter Carbine is a much better example of a crossperk weapon even if it has its faults.

I assume this means the 501? Why? Demo wouldn't get any of the bullet/dud round bonuses like Commando and the only thing it could feasibly do would be to improve the splash range of the already wide-range gas explosion.

Mosin berzerker
No. There is no way to keep that fair.
If you go full-hog with it then Berserker has an on-perk hitscan sniper rifle and I hopefully don't need to explain why that is, respectfully, a very bad idea.

If you don't fully crossperk it then you're left with people taking it exclusively to melee-poke things when better weapons would exist for a Berserker.

No. For Berserker, see the above point re: the Mosin but replace "sniper rifle" with "rapid-fire hitscan trash-clear pistol." The actual melee utility is nonexistent--the shield doesn't even block like the Mosin, it's just a flat damage reduction when using ADS--and the gun would be used for Zerks to spray at trash instead of actually using melee on the melee class.

For Gunslinger, it would just be a flatly worse alternative for anyone actually skilled at the game and a crutch for bad players to guard with.
And regarding weapons that shouldn't be crossperked:
Winchester and centerfire should not be gunslinger
9mm, 1858, spitfire, and magnum should not be sharpshooter.
The Spitfire I agree with, in the sense that just because it resembles a revolver doesn't mean it belongs on the perks that use revolvers because it completely clashes with their intended playstyles, but I don't have a problem with any of the others. Both classes were built around shooting heads with strong, hard-hitting hitscan weapons that get bottlenecked by fire rate and reloads, which all but the spitfire correlate to. The 9mm is a good fallback weapon for anyone and I see no reason why it shouldn't at least get buffs on those perks; it's sensible for punching out smaller Zeds without being broken against medium ones.

Sharpshooter used to have akimbo revolvers crossperked at first but those were quickly removed, which I can understand from a balancing standpoint.

Boom, thank you. No notes. This game already has waaaaaaaaaay too much superfluous stuff for each perk and we don't need to clutter it up with any more.

Upvote 0
@Bender the Offender : but why would the SWAT even use the Tommyboom...? As you said : he already has the regular tommygun, which behaves quite similarly. He also has access to NO bonuses to explosives (and why would he?), so it would probably end up being a worse option overall... or it could trade hitscan bullets for AoE projectiles? Still don't think it's enough to warrant having the Tommyboom as an option.
SWAT doesn't need any explosive bonuses because all damage bonuses on SWAT simply says "perk weapons". If the Tommy Boom becomes a perk weapon, it would get all bonuses from SWAT's weapon damage similar to how the Famas, the M16 and the 501 grenade rifle gets weapon damage bonuses on both the rifle and under weapon for the Commando.

As for why the SWAT should have the Tommy Boom? Simple to handle fleshpounds and quarterpounds since it would both be the highest damage per shot weapon they'll have and the explosion part would pack a extra punch to quarterpounds and fleshpounds.

As for having "only" 13 weapons to choose from... I have quite a few things to note about it :

1) It has never been said anywhere that perks should be equal in terms of arsenal options

3) The SWAT is mostly about SMGs, and while I'm sure those guns are highly customizable (I'm no gun-nut, but if Battlefield and Call of Duty are to be trusted, you can slap a ton of attachments on those things!), you can't really come up with very creative designs unless you go for blatantly over-the-top ideas. It's no wonder why the medic, zerk, firebug and demo have the most options : they're mostly summed up by "the heal class", "the melee class", "the fire class" and "the explosive class". Sadly, you don't really see their newest addition following a gameplay-centric meta. You just make a weapon shoot explosives and call it a day.

1) It's never said anywhere that classes should have the same amount of weapons, but there is something called balance. That concept still exist on this board right?

2) It's called options. Don't like a weapon? Don't use it. I never use the M99, but I wouldn't suggest to get rid of it just because I find the gun heavily impractical under most circumstances.

3) Tommy Boom is a SMG last I checked. Also Tripwire doesn't need to come up with any creative designs here. They just have to take a already existing weapon and make it a crossperk. That would take what? 10 minutes? If the community wants to use a explosive weapon with that SWAT (that still follows the SMG theme), let them.

Upvote 0
@OnionBubs: The issue with the OPs suggestions is that all the crossperk ideas are for weapons that is suppose to act like a alternative for a existing weapon.

For example I'll go over the list.

It would render the 500 magnums moot since the gun is literally the magnums alternate counterparts. Plus as also mentioned, shotguns would be too much of a can of worms for rack-em-up.

Hrg Nailgun should might be berserker?
It already has the Vlaad nailgun. What's the point in having the SMG nailgun?

Healthrower firebug?
Now why would the Firebug have a purely healing weapon that doesn't even shoot fire?

Incision sharpshooter
It already has the railgun which is the Incisions original counterpart. That's like giving the demolitionist the medic missile. One might argue to act as a healing alternative, but then the sharpshooter already has the corrupter carbine for that.

The 501 grenade rifle is just a healing version of the M16 which the demolitionist already has.

Mosin berzerker
This is actually a interesting idea that does have potential.

Gunslinger already has their own version of the glocks, so this is just redundant. Plus the aesthetics makes more sense on the current classes regarding the glocks.

You might be onto something with the berzerker having the riot shield + glock, but I'm not really for it because that weapon is clearly more designed for shooting than anything else. Mosin Berzerker I can understand since it does have the whole block + stab combo going for it.

Upvote 0
As for why the SWAT should have the Tommy Boom? Simple to handle fleshpounds and quarterpounds since it would both be the highest damage per shot weapon they'll have and the explosion part would pack a extra punch to quarterpounds and fleshpounds.
The HRG Nailgun can do that just as well. And with the G36C, even the annoying rioters and EDARs are dead meat to the SWAT... I really don't get why Tripwire decided that every perk should be able to deal with every zeds. Most class-based shooters have counters for a reason.
1) It's never said anywhere that classes should have the same amount of weapons, but there is something called balance. That concept still exist on this board right?

How is balance relevant in that peculiar case? A specific number of weapons isn't tailored to balance at all. You could have 20 widely gimmicky weapons, or only a couple of very strong ones. Numbers mean jack****.
2) It's called options. Don't like a weapon? Don't use it. I never use the M99, but I wouldn't suggest to get rid of it just because I find the gun heavily impractical under most circumstances.
Oh wonderful, you're another one of those...
3) Tommy Boom is a SMG last I checked. Also Tripwire doesn't need to come up with any creative designs here. They just have to take a already existing weapon and make it a crossperk. That would take what? 10 minutes? If the community wants to use a explosive weapon with that SWAT (that still follows the SMG theme), let them.
You move down a couple of words and you already forgot what I said. Seems like you're another one of those players who cares more about being right than discussing.
It would render the 500 magnums moot since the gun is literally the magnums alternate counterparts.

Which is exactly what the Tommyboom is to the Tommygun... Are you really that dumb?
It already has the Vlaad nailgun. What's the point in having the SMG nailgun?

You're just trolling at that point right?
It already has the railgun which is the Incisions original counterpart. That's like giving the demolitionist the medic missile. One might argue to act as a healing alternative, but then the sharpshooter already has the corrupter carbine for that.

The 501 grenade rifle is just a healing version of the M16 which the demolitionist already has.

Gunslinger already has their own version of the glocks, so this is just redundant. Plus the aesthetics makes more sense on the current classes regarding the glocks.

Five. FIVE examples of you saying the exact opposite of why you'd want the Tommyboom to be added to the demo. If you're not trolling, you're really one of the biggest hypocrites I've seen on these forums.

Upvote 0
How is balance relevant in that peculiar case? A specific number of weapons isn't tailored to balance at all. You could have 20 widely gimmicky weapons, or only a couple of very strong ones. Numbers mean jack****.

Did you read any of my post or are you too busy foaming at the mouth and being anti-Tommy Boom here? Here let me repeat myself about how it balances.

"Plus the SWAT only has 13 weapons to pick from which is tied with the lowest (Firebug being the other one, but that's understandable), so would be nice to have one more weapon?"

"Simple to handle fleshpounds and quarterpounds since it would both be the highest damage per shot weapon they'll have and the explosion part would pack a extra punch to quarterpounds and fleshpounds."

You move down a couple of words and you already forgot what I said. Seems like you're another one of those players who cares more about being right than discussing.

I literally addressed all your points about the Tommy Boom and SWAT. The rest of your post was going over the gunslinger, sharpshooter and berzerker and I don't care to discuss those classes if that's why you're throwing a tantrum right now.

Which is exactly what the Tommyboom is to the Tommygun... Are you really that dumb?

You're just trolling at that point right?

Five. FIVE examples of you saying the exact opposite of why you'd want the Tommyboom to be added to the demo. If you're not trolling, you're really one of the biggest hypocrites I've seen on these forums.

Tommy Boom is a SMG which is THE SWAT'S THEME. Nailguns AREN'T BERZERKER'S THEME, meelee is. HEALING WEAPONS THAT HAS NO FIRE CAPABILITY AREN'T FIREBUG THEMES. A HEALING ASSAULT RIFLE AREN'T DEMOLITIONIST theme, explosive weapons are.

Are you really THAT stupid and dense that the idea of weapons that fit the classes theme completely flew over your head here? While I said issue with buckshots being on Gunslinger is that is renders the 500 magnums a moot since the guns do the same damage for a cheaper cost and lower weight and might be a easy rack-em-up. That would be like if Tripwire next makes new weapons that looks like the desert eagles, but weight only 1 for single and 2 for dual, do 125 base damage and have a magazine of 25 and 50 and are cheaper to buy to boot. You're now left asking the question what's the point in the desert eagles existing again? Plus Gunslinger already has enough weapons.

Tommy Boom fits the SWAT's theme just like Mozin fits the Berzerker theme which was why I thought that could work. The the other weapons are like saying "Sharpie should get the hemogoblin because it looks like the head hunter so it makes perfect sense! And SWAT should get the AA-12 shotgun because it looks like the Stunner. And demo should get both the beluga beat and flare gun because it looks like the HX25 and the seal squeal." Are you really that stupid and dense you can't see the pattern here? All these weapons were suggested not because they fit the class theme, but because they look like a weapon the class already carries.

Forgot to answer this one earlier...
I really don't get why Tripwire decided that every perk should be able to deal with every zeds. Most class-based shooters have counters for a reason.

Well they did and I much prefer it this way. Sick of playing games with randoms only to have my moronic teammates run off on their own trying to be Rambo (that's what solo play is for you idiots) and staying away from their teammates like they're are the enemy. I still remember games where the Support on the team is constantly running away from the team and I have to chase him halfway across the map just to get ammo.

In those type of games, I want to have weapons that can actually kill the variety of zeds on the map even if it takes some skills to properly use them. Not be stuck in a "well your teammates suck and you die now because your class sucks ass on their own" type of situation.

Upvote 0
Leaving aside that the SWAT already has the HRG Nailgun for that, since Fleshpounds have far less resistance to piercing damage than SMG damage...

Despite the fact that the TB is pretty bad on Demo despite it being a hitscan, it would be brainlessly useful on SWAT. It might not be the best at FP/QP spam just because of the fire rate alone, but having a 48-shot mag size with a weapon that shoots explosive hitscans means you could have Firebug's crowd-killing capabilities at any distance on top of the up-to-21-seconds-of-infinite-ammo from Rapid Assault. And you could carry that with other guns because all of SWAT's options are lightweight. And you wouldn't have to aim it, which as far as I'm concerned is a non-starter for SWAT.

As Yoshiro said in the second post on this thread: there's a reason they won't crossperk HRGs.

Sure, but not in the sense of "perks should have equal numbers of weapons." The few people left actively posting on this board are discussing balance in terms of, roughly speaking, "easy-to-play classes should have less of a payoff in harder difficulties, harder-to-play classes should have more of a payoff in harder difficulties, and nobody should have weapons that turn the game into easy mode."

Obviously that hasn't been the most stringent design philosophy the devs have stuck to in practice, but we're here to remind them of that nonetheless, because making more weapons for the simple sake of having more weapons often results in one of two primary scenarios: 1) the game ends up with tons of clutter with a few legitimately good options, or 2) the game has tons of unfair options that cheapen the skill curve.

KF2 in its current state has both issues simultaneously, amazingly enough. :rolleyes:

This is one of my biggest pet peeves. "Just make the thing and if someone doesn't like it, they don't have to use it" is a bad design philosophy for a number of reasons. Partially because of the bits I just mentioned above, but something that is even more prominent yet always gets left out is how it affects teammates and teams in a team-based game.

Let's take the options that are infamous for being overpowered, like the Locust or pre-nerf Reducto Ray. (Really, this also applies to perks as well, but it's easier to pick on the weapons.)
When TWI introduces weapons that are so good they completely redefine perk metas, the players who have already learned how to play the game well sit up and pay attention, because almost without fail every time a weapon like that is introduced, it's a weapon that is very easy to use compared to its counterparts on the same perk.
Pub players in the vast majority of cases will pick options that kill things effectively and easily because it makes them feel powerful to stomp even the hardest difficulties, and if they don't have to put in the work to do it, that's all the better to them. Weapons that make that task easy, like the Locust, become extremely prevalent and popular as a result. Thus it's not uncommon for multiple players to pick the easiest option they can, because it works, and the game certainly isn't going to punish them for doing so. (Bonus points if, like the Locust, the weapon actually gets better when multiple players stack it.)

When people who enjoy the game for the challenge it offers face a scenario where they cannot play without at least one or more players running broken options, that sucks the fun out of the game for them. Partially because it feels disenfranchising to see fresh installs beating the game by throwing Locust missiles at the floor while they have to actually aim and land headshots. Partially because it's extremely boring to see the game trivialized by just reducing the hardest difficulties to "spamming chokepoints with explosions and such" (usually that is one or two people actually playing the game while the rest get to sit on their thumbs). Partially because the vast majority of weapons and tactics that revolve around raising the game's skill floor--that is, how effective something is with minimal effort--almost always step on the toes of the players who play more challenging perks; it's not an exaggeration to say that fire, explosives, and panic make playing as a precision perk miserable while both enabling and encouraging more spam to counter the panic flailing and such).

Now, it's all well and good to say "well, don't use [weapon X] if you think it's OP," but you can't stop the other five players on the team from doing so. And the only reason they have not to do so is personal preference, or basically an honor system, so guess what? You can't count on that.

The same logic applies to underpowered junk weapons. If a weapon is so bad that it prevents the user, other teammates, or the team as a whole from doing their respective jobs, then all it takes is one idiot to run the problematic weapon in question and problems arise. At best case you are down one teammate but others can deal, like a Commando running the FAMAS or a Gunslinger running Dual Spitfires + Dual Winterbites (yes, I have seen that happen). In the worst case scenarios, you have Demos running the Gravity Imploder that can ruin games for literally everyone, including themselves, or stupid Medics taking combinations like Hemoclobber + HRG Medic Missile that rob them of Medic's primary strengths (healing darts) and effectively put the team down on the expected healer role the Medic should be doing. It should be obvious why this is bad for a game based around players working together as a team.

The "don't like it, don't use it" logic only applies to a team game if the team can collectively force an agreement not to do the thing in question. And Killing Floor is not that kind of game, for better or worse. The sole exception is gathering an entire premade team on a Controlled Difficulty server who agree to not use broken perks and weapon options, but that is a completely unrealistic expectation for a game with a small and fractured fanbase like this one. Better to just not make broken stuff in the first place.

Again, the "it's an SMG so it obviously belongs on the SMG class" logic falls apart when you look at the preexisting (bad) ideas they've crossperked before.

The Spitfire is technically a revolver but absolutely doesn't belong on the Gunslinger or Sharpshooter on a mechanical basis, because it runs completely counter to the designs of those perks (medium-to-long-range hitscan specialists, not inaccurate short-ranged fire spammers). The Pulverizer is technically an explosive weapon, but it's one that Demo has absolutely no reason to use whatsoever past meme'ing in Normal difficulty because it's objectively terrible with regards to Demo's kit.

The only crossperks that really made sense are the 101/201/301/401/501 Medic weapons and the weapons shared by perks that have similar roles (Mac-10 for Firebug/SWAT, Tommy Gun for SWAT/Commando). Anything beyond that is stretching perk definitions.

I really don't get why Tripwire decided that every perk should be able to deal with every zeds. Most class-based shooters have counters for a reason.
They did it because easier wins makes for happier pubs, and happier pubs = more engagement and more money.

You can do generalists in a specialist game right, but you have to actually skill index them, which is where the ball got dropped. Gunslinger and M14 Sharp are fine mostly fine as generalists that can handle a lot of things (I do think slinger's combination of movespeed + burst is too much but that's for another topic) since you have to freaking earn the right to be that good: both require you to be on your A-game with aiming and such as, and mistakes are punished heavily on both perks.

Making perks that don't need nearly as much skill or effort into generalists, however, was a huge mistake. No skill indexing required = easy wins, easy wins = bad.

The counter thing sort of comes into play but it's gotten less and less relevant over time due to all the changes and dumbing down of the skill requirements.

Well they did and I much prefer it this way. Sick of playing games with randoms only to have my moronic teammates run off on their own trying to be Rambo (that's what solo play is for you idiots) and staying away from their teammates like they're are the enemy.
:(
It's not unreasonable for the team to lose if the team can't play well together.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aleflippy
Upvote 0