• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Killing Floor Stats

If anything the above is the reason I wouldn't want to see stats added. People getting angry about kill stealing -firebug burning aside- is just stupid in a co-op game. As long as every player pitches in and you win then that's that.

But add a stats page and it's:
"You're stealing my kills"
"You're ruining my accuracy"
"Stop taking my heal points"

This will kill the co-op even more than the current game state has and with no co-op why bother playing a co-op game?

with respect to this I would favor server based stat tracking rather than global.

Upvote 0
If anything the above is the reason I wouldn't want to see stats added. People getting angry about kill stealing -firebug burning aside- is just stupid in a co-op game. As long as every player pitches in and you win then that's that.

This will kill the co-op even more than the current game state has and with no co-op why bother playing a co-op game?

Global. For the exact same reason you argued. I want people to complain about me stealing their kills, accuracy, and heal points. That's competition.

Upvote 0
On the basis that competition would actually bring something to the game? While the game is highly deficient in a real way to have competition with other players, that not the goal of the game. Since this game is co-op it would similarly counterproductive to think that anyone would play better if stats were being tracked. It just gives the people who are really bored with the game and only want to watch numbers increase something to do. Personally I would like to have stats available because it is interesting to see what you total specs killed, accuracy, and what not, but I would rather it not be introduced on the basis that it would seem to direct the game in a path I would rather not see it take.

NOTE: This applies to both server and global stats

Upvote 0
On the basis that competition would actually bring something to the game? While the game is highly deficient in a real way to have competition with other players, that not the goal of the game. Since this game is co-op it would similarly counterproductive to think that anyone would play better if stats were being tracked. It just gives the people who are really bored with the game and only want to watch numbers increase something to do. Personally I would like to have stats available because it is interesting to see what you total specs killed, accuracy, and what not, but I would rather it not be introduced on the basis that it would seem to direct the game in a path I would rather not see it take.

NOTE: This applies to both server and global stats

There's 2 types of people there, and one of the two is fewer than the other.

Type 1 : The one that cares.

Type 2 : The one that doesn't care.

For example, when I used to play this MMORPG with rankings, there was some guy at lvl 150, with billions of experience. I would never come that close to him, so I didn't even try. I played normally.

No one's going to complain. It's going to be the same as it was, but we can actually see our progress this time.

The only time your argument will apply, is if for example, we get an award at the end of the game for most kills.
Which will does not apply at all to my suggestion.

Also, on a side note, If you're the guy that has the most kills, and there's the other people with half the amount of kills you have, that just indicates they aren't trying, and not putting in team effort. I'm sure they wouldn't cry that they're sucking.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
With respect to how the game engine works right now:

The stats log should log zombie kills (incl info like whether it was a decap), being killed by a zombie, healing and welding. Currently it only logs team kills which is no use to anyone!

Then some likely fellows can go and mod UTStatsDB to do what everyone in this thread actually wants on a per-server basis (i.e. server/clan websites could have their own individual stat trackers).

And TWI could syndicate this to a central stats DB in a similar way to how Epic Games' global stats site worked back in the day and/or shoehorn it into the steamcommunity website.

see this is something I never understood about kf stats logging... in addition to team kills, it also logs cash as the main score stat, which are both useless to us and any type of aggregate that wants to publish them. but we know it's possible to query the right stats at least internally, because the webadmin does this for its own game score.

and it's not just us waiting for proper stat values, I had an open discussion with the folks at gametracker about this too, and they are more than willing to update their tracking to proper kill scoring once tw updates the query protocols.

I would not worry about this being a detriment to gameplay either, game mechanics will keep stats in proportion by way of natural selection no matter what. killwhores can't survive on their own, it's not like players don't already attempt this in the game we have now. it doesn't take long for them to realise that either way you have to work together. there is a reason that the top scoring players on any decent server are usually the ones that stick with the team while they make all those kills.

Upvote 0
see this is something I never understood about kf stats logging... in addition to team kills, it also logs cash as the main score stat, which are both useless to us and any type of aggregate that wants to publish them. but we know it's possible to query the right stats at least internally, because the webadmin does this for its own game score.

Personnaly i think that if the score was based strictly on money earned, it would be a better indicator than the kill count, as you earn more money for killing a fleshpound than a clot...

Did someone actually test the scoring, to see if the money received or found on the ground count for the score?

Upvote 0
Personnaly i think that if the score was based strictly on money earned, it would be a better indicator than the kill count, as you earn more money for killing a fleshpound than a clot...

Did someone actually test the scoring, to see if the money received or found on the ground count for the score?

yes basically any money you accumulate in the game counts to your score, including money found and given from teammates. that's why it means nothing to me, even if you get more for killing certain zeds, because money is shared between players and spent on weapons/ammos. when you go to the trader your score goes down, same as if you die and lose your cash. getting the same one point for killing a fp vs. clot doesn't really make much of difference since there's so few of them, majority of your kills will come from other zeds anyway.

Upvote 0
I would feel these stats would be biased towards people who ganked normal level of difficulty instead of playing a difficulty suited to their perk level. Although perhaps a personal counter shown on your achievements page might be alright (after all tehre are 3 achievements based of total number of kills, I'd be suprised if the counter for it stops at 10'000)

Upvote 0
Stats should break down into separate numbers for each difficulty level, for instance X zed kills on Normal, Y zed kills on Hard, Z headshots on Hard etc.

Stats are probly one of the easiest major improvements to implement and would have a huge impact on competitive gameplay. Excellent bang for the buck.

Upvote 0
would have a huge impact on competitive gameplay. Excellent bang for the buck.
For those people who actually care about competitive gameplay.

As I have said before:
me said:
People getting angry about kill stealing -firebug burning aside- is just stupid in a co-op game. As long as every player pitches in and you win then that's that.

Nitrobullet said:
No one's going to complain. It's going to be the same as it was, but we can actually see our progress this time.
At best the game state stays the same. At worst some people become obsessed with being "the best" and don't actually play the game. Like in l4d2 were there is an achievement for using melee weapons against x zeds and people use melee weapons even when it would be stupid to (like knifing a FP).

Upvote 0
[Hopefully correct:] You know dood, that's already happening now. I come from too many games with stats and no men got to be wining about nothing [bodda booda]. SEEN?
Agreed but with people already resorting to collecting kills in-game for competition I could see people raging like what I have previously posted. The stats would at best change nothing about the game itself and at worst be detrimental. If people are playing the game for the stats page then they are likely to be in the group that collects kills.

Upvote 0