• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Killing Floor crashes at Startup

What happens when you attempt to uninstall the game in Steam? If it lets you uninstall it, let it uninstall. Check to make sure those directories do not exist. If they do, manually delete them. Then reinstall the game.

If Steam doesn't let you uninstall, then uninstall Steam. If you have a lot of games installed, then make a backup of your steam/steamapps/common/ directory. It will contain all the files for the games you have already installed. I'll help you with getting those back in order if that's required. Make sure the steam directory is completely deleted once steam has successfully uninstalled itself.

Go download the latest version of Steam from it's web site; install Killing Floor. It should begin downloading the files.

Upvote 0
What happens when you attempt to uninstall the game in Steam? If it lets you uninstall it, let it uninstall. Check to make sure those directories do not exist. If they do, manually delete them. Then reinstall the game.

If Steam doesn't let you uninstall, then uninstall Steam. If you have a lot of games installed, then make a backup of your steam/steamapps/common/ directory. It will contain all the files for the games you have already installed. I'll help you with getting those back in order if that's required. Make sure the steam directory is completely deleted once steam has successfully uninstalled itself.

Go download the latest version of Steam from it's web site; install Killing Floor. It should begin downloading the files.

I've tried all that, I can do delete local game content and I already know the folder doesn't exist but when I hit install game about 2 seconds after I hit Next it says it's done but downloads nothing, no files nothing, try and run the game it either says the cache is corrupt or it can;t find the main game .exe. Reinstalling Steam does nothing, this has happened to me twice no idea how I fixed it the first time

Upvote 0
I've tried all that, I can do delete local game content and I already know the folder doesn't exist but when I hit install game about 2 seconds after I hit Next it says it's done but downloads nothing, no files nothing, try and run the game it either says the cache is corrupt or it can;t find the main game .exe. Reinstalling Steam does nothing, this has happened to me twice no idea how I fixed it the first time

So you have completely uninstalled Steam, deleted the steam directory, downloaded the latest version of Steam, installed that version of steam, downloaded/install KF and the problem persists?

This is, sadly, a Steam issue and you'll probably get better help/support talking with the Steam support team/group/whatever they call themselves.

https://support.steampowered.com/

If the game isn't installing through steam, not much I can help with getting it running. Of course it's going to say it can't find the game's .exe file, it doesn't exist.

Upvote 0
So you have completely uninstalled Steam, deleted the steam directory, downloaded the latest version of Steam, installed that version of steam, downloaded/install KF and the problem persists?

This is, sadly, a Steam issue and you'll probably get better help/support talking with the Steam support team/group/whatever they call themselves.

https://support.steampowered.com/

If the game isn't installing through steam, not much I can help with getting it running. Of course it's going to say it can't find the game's .exe file, it doesn't exist.

Well I can copy over the files from a backup but if I run the game the second the game window appears it will come up with the game has stopped responding, no error log nothing

Upvote 0
Well I can copy over the files from a backup but if I run the game the second the game window appears it will come up with the game has stopped responding, no error log nothing

Well something is corrupt/bad/misconfigured.

If it were me, I would reinstall Windows on a separate partition, get it updated, then install steam and install Killing Floor. If that has problems, I'd contact Steam Support.

For you, I'd just contact Steam Support.

One other question, do you have any other games installed and do they work properly?

Upvote 0
Well something is corrupt/bad/misconfigured.

If it were me, I would reinstall Windows on a separate partition, get it updated, then install steam and install Killing Floor. If that has problems, I'd contact Steam Support.

For you, I'd just contact Steam Support.

One other question, do you have any other games installed and do they work properly?

Yes all my toher games work perfectly fine it seems only Killing Floor is broken but I have a Separate Steam install and it works there but not on my primary one

Upvote 0
Yes all my toher games work perfectly fine it seems only Killing Floor is broken but I have a Separate Steam install and it works there but not on my primary one

Wait what?

You have Steam installed twice on the same rig? The other install KF works fine, but the primary install it does not? o.0

Exactly what is the point in that?

Upvote 0
Wait what?

You have Steam installed twice on the same rig? The other install KF works fine, but the primary install it does not? o.0

Exactly what is the point in that?

The secondary Steam is on a Virtual Machine

EDIT:
Okay now it seems to do it on the VM aswell and when I verify cache 1 file always fails to validate

Last edited:
Upvote 0