• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Killing Floor 2 in Paris and the new gore system

Keep in mind it takes a couple of years to develop a game on a new game engine. We started KF2 before UE4 was available. And switching to UE4 would mean at least an extra year or 2 of development. Honestly though, UE4 is a really cool engine but with the modifications we've done to UE3 it looks great and is very advanced graphically. Think back to when Bioshock came out. It looked great for the time, and it was actually UE2! It was a heavily modified and upgraded UE2, just like we're using a heavily modified and upgraded UE3.
Thank you for the honest answer and great to hear that the game is in such a lately state. The wish for a 2nd installment was ongoing for years and thank you guys for going after the communities demand. I am looking forward to see some moving pictures of the game.

Upvote 0
Are there any chances you going for an upgrade to UE 4, or are there some Testbuilds based upon. I am a little afraid hearing heavily modified UE 3. It always reminds me on on what UBI did to it with in terms of Rainbow Six Vegas.... I am curious because of future gen HW and feature sets. Less overhead, easier accessability due to the overall UE 4 push right now.

UE4 does away with unrealscripts, that's something to thing about also. =x

Upvote 0
UE4 does away with unrealscripts, that's something to thing about also. =x
>failing to mention blueprints and C++.
please... just go away.

UE4 also hasn't been completely optimized. They're still working on it and, as the devs at Epic have said numerous times during their live streams, it's more of a buy-in right now. Like a beta. Version 2.1 of UE4 came out like a week or two ago and they just fixed up a some of the rendering stuff (if I remember correctly).

A significant amount people who play Killing Floor don't have high performance computers or a good internet connection. Moving to an unoptimized engine that's changing every month/couple of months would strain development speed and hurt a part of their audience.

That being said, the new lighting system worries me, but I'm looking forward to checking out the implementation.

Upvote 0
Keep in mind it takes a couple of years to develop a game on a new game engine. We started KF2 before UE4 was available. And switching to UE4 would mean at least an extra year or 2 of development. Honestly though, UE4 is a really cool engine but with the modifications we've done to UE3 it looks great and is very advanced graphically. Think back to when Bioshock came out. It looked great for the time, and it was actually UE2! It was a heavily modified and upgraded UE2, just like we're using a heavily modified and upgraded UE3.

What new you features will it have, John?

Landscape part of this build?

Upvote 0
What new you features will it have, John?

Landscape part of this build?

It is the newest version of UE3 available which should include all the latest UE3 features, with lots of stuff built on top of it, much of which we're not ready to talk about yet. The stuff we have already mentioned is the fully dynamic lighting system and the persistent blood system which allows you to literally paint almost the whole level with blood dynamically and have it not disappear. Throwing a grenade in a hallway full of zeds creates instant modern art all over the walls :)

Upvote 0
It is the newest version of UE3 available which should include all the latest UE3 features, with lots of stuff built on top of it, much of which we're not ready to talk about yet. The stuff we have already mentioned is the fully dynamic lighting system and the persistent blood system which allows you to literally paint almost the whole level with blood dynamically and have it not disappear. Throwing a grenade in a hallway full of zeds creates instant modern art all over the walls :)

Awesome, finally some modern art I can appreciate!

Are the zeds going to be able to deliberately avoid grenades, or is this something that will be limited to certain zeds or difficulties?

I'm really liking the sound of the new difficulty system where a zed's capabilities are affected rather than its stats.

Upvote 0
=3

Cause blueprints and C++ are totally unrealscript and people who have tons of experience with unrealscript can just hop right in?

Learning the ins and outs of a programming language is something that takes weeks or months and is specific to the language.
The act of programming is a lifetime pursuit as programming tricks, problems, and solutions are infinite and things you do in one language can apply to another.

If you know one language, transition to a similar language isn't that bad.

UnrealScript is very much like C++ for example.

Upvote 0
learning the ins and outs of a programming language is something that takes weeks or months and is specific to the language.
The act of programming is a lifetime pursuit as programming tricks, problems, and solutions are infinite and things you do in one language can apply to another.

If you know one language, transition to a similar language isn't that bad.

Unrealscript is very much like c++ for example.

:d

Upvote 0