• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Killing Floor 1.0 SP maps port progress!

Now a guide for mere mortal beings how to open that map:

Download the killing floor SDK (library->tools)
Open it.
Open the map.
Click play (that 'joystick' icon at the top right) and it starts.

Okay, scrakes did not kill me, gorefasts did not kill me, what did kill me was that damn ladder to the sewers because of my egoshooter-ladder-phobia since I always manage to fall those damn things down.
After I was dead, the map did not restart because of said missing package.

Are there checkpoints at which you revive?
Please tell me there are checkpoints... being killed by falling down an egoshooter ladder should not make anyone having to go through 30 minutes of gameplay again.
Also I guess "unreal" ladders work differently than "valve" ladders since I looked down, walked towards it but did not climb down.
How delightful.

lol its meant to be super dark and I made it so it wud scare the hell out of players. I can't w8 til u get to the bioticslab part, oh jeez ur gonna die so much there!
There should be SOME light in the offices though.
You know, a tiny ambient light here, flickering lights there so you don't depend on that flashlight that lasts for like 1 minute and then has to recharge for 30 seconds.
That the shotgun and the 9mm share batteries doesn't help either.
Maybe you could make the light at least have infinite battery, you did change the max weight too so that should be possible.

Also is that some confusing leveldesign or what.
You never know where the hell you have to go. And I did not even reach that sewers clusterf*ck yet.

Final note: The axe is OP.
If only I could strap a flashlight on it...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
first time im commenting here :p i have checked the map out, just havnt played it yet because im waiting for the next update - UTcharger removed from bioticslab, the checkpoint system, and anything else that ppl are having problems with. so i can get the best exp possible from it.

i normally dont release betas because of all horrors that have happened to ppl on MY past betas haha (like being locked in the trader hahaha).

Upvote 0
first time im commenting here :p i have checked the map out, just havnt played it yet because im waiting for the next update - UTcharger removed from bioticslab, the checkpoint system, and anything else that ppl are having problems with. so i can get the best exp possible from it.

i normally dont release betas because of all horrors that have happened to ppl on MY past betas haha (like being locked in the trader hahaha).

I removed the UTcharger. Go download the map NAOW and tell me what you fink.

Upvote 0
Its a very large map, set your KF video settings lower. I have a very powerful GPU and fast computer and it never lags or crashes on mine.

Tech stuff

I half-solved that little FPS issue. I kept getting something that looks alot like FPS lag too at a very constant rate. Literally every second in the level it holds for .2 of a second before carrying on. I whacked everything down to minimum, 800x600 res, everything off I could afford to have and set all else to lowest, but still it had 0 effect, even on my Q6700 - 4Gb RAM - GTX260 system, so I didn't think its an FPS issue.

I know whats wrong though, in the little SDK log thing the lines "KInitSkeletonKarma: Asset not found" and "MutWeight Autoplay.MutWeight0" absolutely spam the hell out of the log file. I don't know what they mean or what they do, but I know how to at least stop the lagging ;)

Simply run the map in the SDK, once its loaded tab out to your desktop (I had to use the windows key for some reason, but get out of it some way or another). There should be 3 tabs on your start bar: -
1) Unreal Editor
2) Killing Floor
3) another tab with the Killing Floor logo but no name.
This 3rd tab is the log file, which you wont be able to click on while the game is in play, so simply right click the tab on your start bar and click close. Since this is no longer flooding itself with logs your machine can focus solely on the game, so go back into your Killing Floor game, crank up your graphics settings and enjoy it to the fullest ;)

Gameplay Stuff

Its freaking awesome dude, very very cool. I have already shat myself 3 times at stalkers, and been insta fragged a couple of times by missing my axe attack on the scrakes while I was on 70 hp. And in the offices I was absolutely bricking myself, keep the darkness, it REALLY freaks people out ;)

Although from a purely being a massive fan and wanting to refine it point of view, there are a couple of things I want to ask about :)

1. The checkpoints don't seem to work properly, the only one I managed to get was at the gate when you first step into west london, which is like a 10 second walk from the start. 9_6 already said it, but 1 checkpoint was working at least ;)

2. I'm wondering if your planning on bringing the cut scenes back between the specimen attacks ;)

3. The pistol miraculously seems to get 7 more clips at some point between west london and the offices, and I think the shottie gets the same. Is this deliberate in place of ammo boxes/are ammo boxes planned later on? :)

4. That ladder into sewers is a git to grab onto, I haven't figured it out yet. At the moment its a beginners trap, especially with the checkpoints on the fritz. Might it be possible to give us a pool of ****ty water we can land safely into or something? :)

Awesome work though dude, the scrake at the start was a nice touch... bastard minced me up more than once :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It looks very nice indeed, but I am having troubles.
Firstly; Where do you install it? System? If yes, okay.
Secondly; As It's KFS, it ain't on normal KF map section, so what name does it have in SDK?
Thirdly; I want to play it. Cheers!

Edit; My game stopped working
Build UT2004_Build_[2004-11-11_10.48]

CPU: AuthenticAMD Unknown processor @ 3010 MHz with 2047MB RAM
Video: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series (7008)

History: UGameEngine::Init <- InitEngine <- FMallocWindows::Free

Last edited:
Upvote 0