• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map KF-Thames_Bridge B1

Doyora

May 12, 2009
UK
Map Name: KF-Thames_Bridge
Beta Number: 1
Playable: Yes
Pictures:

screen3-2.jpg

screen2-2.jpg

screen1-2.jpg

Description of map:

Back when KF was only a mod, I mad a map for it called Thamesbridge.
BecauseI liked liked it I decided to port it over. I've gotten better at stuff since then though so I figured I'd improve it while I was at it. This basicaly means I've remade it from scratch. The layout is similar but there are a couple of fairly big changes.

The map is based under a bridge across the river thames and on an island in the midle (featuring a ww2 bunker).

I think I'm done with the layout, now I need to finish the visual side of things, and do balancing if it's needed.

What testing is wanted:

Mainly testing for how it plays, and if there are any major exploits so far. I've not finished adding blockingvolumes etc yet, so it's probable you could get places you're not meant to.

Map Download/Download Size:

Download from savefile (13 MB) (updated link)

Final note: don't try to go swimming. (also have fun, enjoy etc).

Last edited:
Looks impressive but would it be possible to pack all the custom textures into a single .rom file so I can distribute it through a dedicated server? I am no level editor but im fairly certain it can be done given maps such as the doom 2 level remake was a single .rom file and that obviously had custom textures.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
uhhhh I'm going to bed now but the only things that spring to mind are:

1) try removing the _b1 from the map filename

2) make sure the packages are in the right folders I guess?

I'll look into it when I wake up. Also, adding all the custom stuff to mylevel; maybe in a later version. It would be quite time consuming though. (I don't see why servers can't send you packages, I'm sure I've done it this way before and had no problems).

Upvote 0
Ok, well, obviously the map doesnt work. We're missing KF-Bricks or something. A quick rebuild revealed a lot of missing materials for your brushes, not to mention missing skins for your meshes. I noticed there is no distance fog. Are you sure you uploaded the correct version of the map? There are a lot of floating meshes and pickups.

Although I couldn't playtest the map, one thing I don't like is that you've blocked off all of the water. It may seem constricting. Perhaps remove the volumes around the shallower areas - allow players to wade in the water, maybe push the blocking volumes out towards the deeper water. At the very least allow players/ZEDs to wade in the water around the central bridge/walkway (the pool between the bridge and the boat).

Oh and by the way I'm loving that boat. Excellent Idea for a trader location! Unfortunately it was missing a texture.

Other things I like are the zombie spawns, especially the one in the storm drain(?) behind the bushes. I really love the choice of lighting and textures and can't wait to see what you do with the blank interiors.

On the visual side of things: might I suggest some graffiti projectors underneath the bridge near the bunker? I'm not totally digging the sand texture. I'd imagine there'd be more gravelly/rocky banks and more silty sand (but then again I've never really seen the thames river bank at more than a glance). And maybe some washed up rubbing/bottles/etc would add to the atmosphere.

From what I can tell so far you have a good talent for mapping. Very professional so far for a WIP, so keep it up.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Looks impressive but would it be possible to pack all the custom textures into a single .rom file so I can distribute it through a dedicated server? I am no level editor but im fairly certain it can be done given maps such as the doom 2 level remake was a single .rom file and that obviously had custom textures.

yup, all custom tex's you should save into the mylevel package, so it all just gets packaged with the .rom file instead of having loads of different package files to download too..

map looks good anyways

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I tried adding the original release version and it didnt work...so I came here saw the updated version...so I replaced just the .rom and well guess what still wont load in server...so yea...

---Stixsmaster

You'll need to replace the .usx (static meshes) package as well, since that contained the mesh that was looking for the nonexistent textures.

Upvote 0