• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Ju87 Stuka strikes

Tonym81

Jun 3, 2006
Calgary Alberta
This warplane is so common on every front in WW2. Especially the Eastern Front where this game is based. Especially in the Blitzkrieg days, the maps that are focused around this period of the war would be really enhanced with the appearance of these bombers.

I have no idea how they could be put into this game but I know it would really amazing to see.

Instead of calling artillery, perhaps the Axis can call on a squadron of Stuka's to hit a desired area of the map with siren and all.

I noticed to flybys of any aircraft in the sky in this game, at least that I have seen. Maybe adding Stuka's just flying around in the distance would be pretty cool.

Any thoughts?

Tonym81 said:
This warplane is so common on every front in WW2. Especially the Eastern Front where this game is based. Especially in the Blitzkrieg days, the maps that are focused around this period of the war would be really enhanced with the appearance of these bombers.

I have no idea how they could be put into this game but I know it would really amazing to see.

Instead of calling artillery, perhaps the Axis can call on a squadron of Stuka's to hit a desired area of the map with siren and all.

I noticed to flybys of any aircraft in the sky in this game, at least that I have seen. Maybe adding Stuka's just flying around in the distance would be pretty cool.

Any thoughts?

Were they commonly used for close air support? I wouldnt want to be anywhere near a squad of stukas dropping 200-2000kg bombs on the enemy right in front of me.

Upvote 0
Usually a couple of 500Kg bombs - but even those make a bloody big hole.

Anyway - historical blah: while there were lots of planes, they were almost never under the direct control or even on call for front line infantry platoons in the East. This was mostly a Brit/US thing. The Soviets very rarely had enough radios (or people trained) to direct close air support - they tended to use artillery pre-planned too. The Germans used it slightly more...

However, it tended to work at the level of Div HQ requesting some support and getting it, if they were lucky. They'd direct the CAS to roughly the right place - but the air would be pretty much on their own to find the correct target(s) on the spot. This is one reason you'll often see German tanks with flags draped over them in pictures - friendly fire :)

We are unlikely to bring in "on-call" air support - but we've considered more general "roving" fighter-bombers and strikes...

Upvote 0
As was already mentioned, friendly fire made CAS a chancey thing. Generally you would have the Stukas fly in at some set time and basically let them roam free over a designated area. When they spotted a vehicle they attacked. What you really wanted to find is a nice column on a road. Made hitting something so much easier.

Upvote 0
Im all for it. If i remember correctly the battle in call of duty or what ever the battle was called had planes that dropped bombs etc etc on the hill side while the MG's were shooting down at the soviets.

I would love to see this in RO.
noting like a dog fight. 2 planes flying realy low to the ground and then swooping back up into the sky is shweet!

Upvote 0
lol, Stukas suck in dog fights :D

They just come and drop their bombs, then fly away, they only dog fight to save themselfs!

24Ju87.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
[RO]Wilsonam said:
Well, nothing wrong with a roving pair of Sturmoviks :)

You gotta be joking??? You mean to say there were Sturmoviks on the East Front? What, it wasn't the endless swarms of Stukas making sky black and destroying everything Russian everywhere in big yellow flames, dropping 3000kg tac nukes, + dogfighting with Yaks, MiGs and LaGGs as they go??

You mean to say German fanbois on the board are NOT right in everything they say and any "improvement" they ask for???

Man you need to read more history books!

</end sarcasm> :eek:

Upvote 0
Oleg said:
You gotta be joking??? You mean to say there were Sturmoviks on the East Front? What, it wasn't the endless swarms of Stukas making sky black and destroying everything Russian everywhere in big yellow flames, dropping 3000kg tac nukes, + dogfighting with Yaks, MiGs and LaGGs as they go??

You mean to say German fanbois on the board are NOT right in everything they say and any "improvement" they ask for???

Man you need to read more history books!

</end sarcasm> :eek:
I, for one would like to see both aircrafts implemented rather than one, if there can't be equity then there should be no aircrafts at all. :)

Upvote 0