• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Japanese Rifleman: How to eliminate your disadvantages

adamcel6

Sep 19, 2013
This guide is mostly for beginners. More experienced players, please give me feedback on this in the replies. Here are the tips, they concern two of the greatest plagues of the Arisaka wielder.

How to lead targets effectively:
Since I recommend using the 99, this concerns that weapon. You know how the sights look kind of like this \|/ ? These are very useful when leading targets. When you see an enemy running to the right, use the \ one to aim at them. Of course the same applies to an enemy running to the left but you use the /. This is very helpful at most ranges. With enough playtime (and by enough, I mean a grossly large amount of hours playing this amazing game) of using the same rifle, you will passively learn the bullet speed. This means at just about any range you will know exactly how to lead the target. It takes a long, long time to get to this but the tip can help you TONS in the meantime.

How to fight close quarters effectively:

1: Your Nambu Pistol
A VERY important, effective, and underrated tool. This may sound weird and unnatural, but when EVER you are in a close quarters situation, your semi auto, decently damaging, low-recoil Type 14 Nambu is your best bet. Shoot that American(s) several times in rapid succession with your pistol, because even if you miss half of them he's still dead.

2: Your Bayonet
Use your bayonet only in a banzai charge or if you unexpectedly walk into a room inhabited by yanks when you forgot to switch to your pistol. One thing that is very important to know is that your bayonet should not be relied upon until your rifle has been leveled up a ton. Early on in your Rising Storm gameplay days, your bayonet will fail you by not killing those Americans with the first stab. This is extremely rage-inducing, and you may have serious trust issues about using it for some time. However, I have been using my level 50 Type 99's bayonet with increased frequency lately, and the brutal 12'' cold steel brings instant death every time, with Hirohito willing. By utilizing these 2 resources, especially your pistol, you can almost entirely eliminate your close-range disadvantages that plague you as a Japanese rifleman.

Nice tipps!
I hate the 99 though. I never hit anything with it. Qkohppj i am used to Client side Hit calculation in red orchestra 2 Servers Which detect a hit immediatly but my favourite RS Servers dont use that which might be the reason.
In close combat the Pistol is great but dangerous to yourself as well. It only kills an Enemy with several Hits. He might black out and kill you back.
A rifle kills one Hit most of the Times but if you muss you are dead so the Risk is much higher.

You might also want to add a grenade explanation.
I get most kils as riflemen with grenades and trapps.

People havent Figured out that trapps work best at the approaches to a capzone. Plant it to close and flamers, grenades and artillery will destroy it.

Upvote 0
I've been levelling up my Nambu recently, and I've found it's safer to empty the whole mag into the target. It's a really low-powered gun so it's better to be safe than sorry in a last-ditch situation. Also, it reloads reasonably quickly so as long as you're only facing one foe, give him the whole clip.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Don't forget ammo boxes on maps where there are objs to blow up(ammo box near d on iwo, for example), and to place two traps at 3-4 metres of distance if there are two good covers/hiding places near each other!
Its in my guide :D
Not as a separate point but one picture with explanation!
I do that every time on iwo.
Its not the most effective anymore though. Some allies expect those traps and shoot them.

Upvote 0
Its in my guide :D
Not as a separate point but one picture with explanation!
I do that every time on iwo.

Sorry, i've took a very fast look at it, 'cause i was in a hurry.

Its not the most effective anymore though. Some allies expect those traps and shoot them.

Yes..when RS was released, it was very effective, then someone took enough tye 91 and 97s to learn that it's a spot where they can be.
However, with the new bunch of noobs...:D ... it works pretty well.

Upvote 0
However, i have also something to say about japanese rifles...

As i know, there are two methods of breaking the american firepower superiority with your rifle:

The 99 one and the 38 one. they are based on the characteristics of the rifles (for example, i recommend to use the 38 against far targets that aren't aware of where you are, so the inferior damage of it becomes a small disadvantage, and the good sights that it has can be used with all their potential).

99 one:
Remember that, before the gun you use and before the equipment you have, the most important is HOW YOU MOVE ON THE BATTLEFIELD. When you are playing as japanese rifleman, you should move in a way to FACE ENEMIES ONE PER TIME, and you'll have to be precise and as fast as possible a missed hit nearly always means death.
Practice hipshots and fast-sights shots. Try to avoid close range combat (if you aren't pretty good with your pistol), and search the rifle vs rifle medium range combat, where the enemy hasn't too much advantages. Use your grenades very wisely (have always at least one on your hand, even if you want to plant two booby traps, make them roll uncooked to frighten the enemy and zig-zag banzai him from the other side, or throw them a bit before a spawn wave arrives, or kamikaze if you can't escape a flamer, or...) there are a lot of tactics that you can use , but they are all based on the thought that you have to stop them and stay alive at all costs. And this is something true also for the attack, with the difference that you should do it once you' ve banzai' d and you've got in cap.
Do not try this tactic with the 38, a non-lethal shot is nearly always like a missed hit, it means death.

38 one:
This is much more simplier than the other, you have just to stay at a good distance from the enemy, on a good flanking spot, or in a normal spot with one side covered, they should not be aware of you. In this way flamers, BARs, carbines, shotguns, and smgs (and, if pretty far, also garands, due to their cumbersome sights) have a good disadvantage over you. The bolt action rifle in RO/RS is a strong weapon, if you know how to use it.
However, you can't use very effectively the advantage of the distance if you find difficult to hit moving targets. Fortunately, the type 38 has good iron sights to do it.
You can try this tactic also with the 99, but only if you've got really-really handy with the sights and the bullet speed. The fact you can use the type 99 for both these tactics can seem an advantage, but there's also a disadvantage on it: it's harder-to-learn-to-use, than the type 38, and you can only dream the type 99 approach if you don't have a decent ping.

Whatever rifle/tactic you prefer, i suggest to choose one, and use only it for a period. If you use them both, you won't get handy with no one of them.

I would have liked to write also something about the nambu pistol , but my fingers are tired. another day, if i have the time:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've been levelling up my Nambu recently, and I've found it's safer to empty the whole mag into the target. It's a really low-powered gun so it's better to be safe than sorry in a last-ditch situation.

irl yes, in game no. It does the same damage as the TT33 and C96, and more than the P38. Assuming I was fairly on target I'd stick to 3-4 shots in a pinch, but obviously if you're unsure... better to fire more than risk them surviving. At least try to have 1 bullet left, so when you reload you'll get the mag plus the extra round in the barrel.

And this is from someone who has Type 14 as his most used weapon in RS ;)

Upvote 0