• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Is Killing Floor 2 on Unreal Engine 4?

The game looks absolutely georgous. Have you taken a look to see how sharp the textures are? How clean the game looks all throughout? On-top of all that, there is a lot of graphic intensive scenes in that game and it all runs at a clean 60 FPS on PC.

Exactly! I was extremely impressed with Infinite. Especially the texture quality. How did they make them look so sharp even though they most likely still used 2048x2048 sized textures? From the looks of the KF2 screenshots, it seems to be looking just as good.

Upvote 0
Exactly! I was extremely impressed with Infinite. Especially the texture quality. How did they make them look so sharp even though they most likely still used 2048x2048 sized textures? From the looks of the KF2 screenshots, it seems to be looking just as good.

Bioshock Infinite looked good mostly due to art direction. They had some tech that helped, particularly their lighting tech. But mostly it was do the the art style and the game content.

Upvote 0
Do you have first hand experience with trying to create a large scale mod for RO2? Or are you just making assumptions?
I'm not assuming anything about mod development for this engine, which I believe to be incredibly difficult and laborious from what I've seen and been told. I was just disputing the assertion that there is 'a ton of custom content for RO2' -- I am not aware of the evidence for this. I wasn't trying to start an argument, I was simply stating my disagreement.

From what I'm able to see, RO2 has very few Workshop submissions, and I've yet to find a playable mod on the forums. I've checked these forums every week (or at least every fortnight) since release.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm not assuming anything about mod development for this engine, which I believe to be incredibly difficult and laborious from what I've seen and been told. I was just disputing the assertion that there is 'a ton of custom content for RO2' -- I am not aware of the evidence for this. I wasn't trying to start an argument, I was simply stating my disagreement.

From what I'm able to see, RO2 has very few Workshop submissions, and I've yet to find a playable mod on the forums. I've checked these forums every week (or at least every fortnight) since release.

You haven't seen a playable mod on the forums because we took the big RO2 mod and turned it into a commercial game. Given the scope of creating large maps for a 64 player multiplayer game like RO2 having 50+ custom maps out there is a ton of content. If RO2 had hats we'd probably have 50,000 workshop submissions.

Any type of mod development these days is incredibly difficult and laborious. That is a side effect of games getting more complex in general. There are fewer total conversion mods for all games out there period. And actually, throwing out comments like "there are basically no mods for RO2 because the engine is horrible for modders to work with" is trying to start an argument. So don't expect blanket and false statements like that to go unchallenged by the devs when you make them on our forums. We don't mind people disagreeing with us, but keep the criticism constructive and respectful.

Upvote 0
Okay, I seem to have offended you and that was genuinely not my intent.

Saying 'if RO2 had X' is not much of an argument. It doesn't, and so it's not really worth mentioning. Your point about game engines (and thus mods) being increasingly complex in recent years is of course totally valid, but that's not a statement that a) I was ever disagreeing with, or b) nullifies the point I was trying to make...

...which is that RO2 is lacking in custom content. Is this your fault? No, because it is not your job to create custom community content for the game, even if you have in fact gone out of your way to do so with regards to stuff like bringing RS in-house, or coding assets for the new transport vehicles in your spare time. The latter in particular was something I took note of and appreciated.

They're both commendable steps, but it doesn't change the fact that after three (?) years or however long it's been (God, time flies...) since release, there are still no new tanks, vehicles or anything approaching a playable conversion mod for RO2. People have been working on-and-off on this type of stuff for a long time now, whereas updates for equivalent stuff on RO1/DH did not take anywhere near as long. Admittedly DH tailed off a bit towards the end of its life - I believe the last major patch was about a year after the penultimate one - but it was a better engine to work with and so the community yielded some great stuff. I've yet to hear anyone dispute that, and in terms of actions speak louder than words I've yet to see anything either.

It was never my intention to disrespect or offend, and indeed I have a great deal of respect for TWI and I take notice when you go out of your way to help the community (i.e. the two examples given above) but questioning the idea of 'a ton of community content' is not disrespectful; further, it is closer to being a 'blanket and false statement' than anything I have said here.

As a point of reference, I am a fan of Company of Heroes 2 and lament the lack of modding in that game; like the prequel, from a modder's PoV it has great potential but currently only custom maps are allowed. Like your games, Steam Workshop is integrated, but unlike your games, proper modding - in the sense of using -dev mode and loading custom archives into the game - is currently prohibited. The reason I mention this is that despite the innate advantage RO2 has over CoH2 in that regard, the number of playable mods (be it balance, total conversion, whatever) is the same: none.

You chose to implement tanks of such an astronomically high technical standard that after three years, I've yet to see a working modified version of one in the game, let alone someone attempt something brand new like a KV-1 or a Tiger. With all the will in the world, I simply do not foresee a situation in which something like DH could be attempted for RO2, but nor am I suggesting that to be the be-all and end-all of modding fruition.

Obviously, feel free to disagree with anything I've said here.

Incidentally, I recently read that a studio (DICE or somesuch, I can't remember... someone big) had said that their future games won't have modding because (paraphrasing) it's too complex for the community to understand; I dare say you've heard about this and in fact have probably mentioned it before. Whilst I vehemently disagree with the notion of 'you can't have X because you wouldn't know how to use it' I think it's worth mentioning, because I believe RO2 to be at a sort of technical crossroads in that respect; i.e. yes, full modding capabilities are provided, but they are so complex and tedious to work with that after three years no one has yet fully utilized them.

It's great that you provide mod tools for your games and, being a former modding outfit yourself, obviously you wish to advocate modding, but I do wonder whether RO3 will essentially be unmoddable to all but the most dedicated professional mod teams who have the time and resources required. I realize this is touching on a broader subject now, but it's one you mentioned in your previous post and I suspect it's something TWI have a number of thoughts on. If you do, and if you have the time, I'd love to hear them.

So, I suppose my closing comment would be to ask yourself this question: if, after nearly three years, none of the attempted mods for RO2 have got to the point of being in a playable state, do you feel it is the community or the engine that is at fault?

Upvote 0