• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

I'm a ROOST player, and what the hell is RO2?

The game was pushed out hard and fast in an unready state, we all know this.
To be fair TWI have stated their intent to resolve things......this will take some time to get to as there are a lot of things to fix.
What's been a dissapointment for many who played ROOST is the distant relation RO2 currently is to its predecessor.
Until this is fixed via a mutator or a mod the game holds little interest for many ppl.

Build it and they will come........rebuild it and they will come back and stay:D

Upvote 0
unsuccessful-troll.thumbnail_770.jpg

If you're going to troll at least be less obvious.

Upvote 0
I will add this, with the vantage point that i have played neither RO or RO2. The thing that motivated me to find out more about this franchise is the strong support by TW to make their games polished. It is what attracts me to the DCS series and countless others. Some companies take pride in their work, and some don't. So while it appears that RO2 is not up to the same standard as RO, i would be very surprised if it ultimately doesn't exceed it. As a software developer i can tell you this stuff is extremely challenging, and it takes a lot of time. My advice would be to remain vocal, respectful, and patient. RO2 will get fixed.

I think TW has earned the benefit of the doubt.

Upvote 0
:rolleyes:

Can't go a day without one of these.

For those having fun; see you nightly on 7th Cav; 2Fjg, or TaT.

For those in misery; see you if ever. Honestly, if it makes you this unhappy,
don't play it. Wallowing in misery and then sharing it with others is not
good for the soul.

That's just it. I didn't come here just to moan in misery. I came here to try to influence positive change for the game, as I'm sure a lot of people came to do. In the meanwhile I'm so hot on playing RO2 until various issues are fixed.

I saw the new changelog in testing, seems like solid progress to me, so I'm not in such misery, I just hope the roosters amongst us can have even more impact.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So many players swear by being a RO1 vet, but where were they in the last year or so before RO2 release?

I'll tell you - they were hanging out on BC2 servers being spoiled by the big companies.

Let me tell you another thing Mister Rooster - ofcourse you had a blast back in the good old days when RO1 was released, you were 5 years younger ffs, everything was better "back than".

Today, you are older, have more responsibilities, have different interest in games, but problem is you can't accept the fact that you changed. All that brings you here are some fond memories of golden days.

i had something like 500 hrs total of ostfront since 2007, and about 150 or so was from january-august of this year.

ro2 is nothing like ostfront. it has a lot of features that should make the game better but they got offset by dumb additions/changes

Upvote 0
I can't wait for the mods/mutators that can make this game feel more like the first one.

Well if the player base keeps dropping I can't see much point in mods being made.Look what happened to Roost.MN and CC and DH all came out towards the end of its life where the player base was drifting away.Only DH made any impact.YET MN and CC were much better,more polished,more interesting(due to the different weapons/vehicles and ideas(like on map mortars and breaking vision slits on the tanks))but both failed and in fact all 3 help split the small community even more.
So why would anyone spend hours making a mod for an already small community which to be honest dislikes the current game(which is shown by the dropping playing figures).I have no interest in a pacific mod or a vietnam mod.I want a better russian front game.But all I see happening is that people will start thinking why bother modding and move onto other games.
Ones with a better player base.

Upvote 0
So many players swear by being a RO1 vet, but where were they in the last year or so before RO2 release?

I was playing RO, DH, and COH. I had over 1,300 hours of RO1/DH/CC/MN since the very beginning of RO.

I've also 260 hours of RO2 since the very first day of the beta.

I think I've earned the right to come here and voice my opinion.

Also, I haven't been "spoiled by big companies" because I haven't played much else besides RO and COH, which is a RTS. In fact, RO was my very first FPS. My mate had the original UT mod.

I was spoiled by RO1.

I was disappointed by RO2.

That.

Simple.

RO2 has a tonne of improvements, and lots of good aspects compaired to RO1, but it fell short of expectations due to an extremely rocky start, lack of maps, stupid COD unlocks, and gameplay that is now much faster paced, and less about teamwork and steady play, where evry death counts, and every objective must be met.

Now it's an arcade shooter that forces players into preplanned funnels with silly protected areas, and countdown timers, as well as every map having no real imagination and only two viable options. Look at Pavs, FF, and Commi. Look at just how much choice you have. You have no way to flank objectives, and every map seems to have spawn buildings covering every approach. Firefights are at no more than a few metres, hell, you can barely see 100m away thanks to excessive fog. Everyone and their mother has a full or semi auto weapons, and did I mention there is no leeway for tactical imagination?

We have Danzig and Barracks running out of control, and the only decent sized maps are hell due to the above.

Last edited:
Reactions: DarkHunt3r
Upvote 0
Now it's an arcade shooter that forces players into preplanned funnels with silly protected areas, and countdown timers, as well as every map having no real imagination and only two viable options. Look at Pavs, FF, and Commi. Look at just how much choice you have. You have no way to flank objectives, and every map seems to have spawn buildings covering every approach. Firefights are at no more than a few metres, hell, you can barely see 100m away thanks to excessive fog. Everyone and their mother has a full or semi auto weapons, and did I mention there is no leeway for tactical imagination?
This is a great example of perceptions changing more than reality. You aren't holding RO2 to RO1's standard, you're holding RO2 to the standard of some mythical perfect game that never existed.

Go down the list of RO1 maps. Arad, Baksan, Barashka, Kaukasas, Konigsplatz, Kurland, Leningrad, LyesKrovy, Odessa, Rakowice, Smolensk, Zhitomer are all very channelized, many of them having only one way to go to certain objectives, usually over open ground. When you do get a flanking route, it's often like Leningrad's sewers and requires a suicidal push through a literal channel, so it's not even a remotely viable alternative.

You complain about "barely seeing more than 100 meters away", which is not only a clear exaggeration but even if it weren't, it's still better than RO1, where a 100m distant person was 4 pixels tall standing in the open. If they turn sideways you could well lose them to subpixel culling. In the many years the game's been out, 25% of the people with 100 kills have still never made a single 100 meter rifle kill in RO1. Many maps don't even have a place you could take such a shot. The maps and firefights are far larger on average than RO1, as an objective fact. Even Danzig got significantly scaled up when it was copied into RO2.

Reactions: MarioBava
Upvote 0
"Dance with the one that brung you"

"Dance with the one that brung you"

This is a great example of perceptions changing more than reality. You aren't holding RO2 to RO1's standard, you're holding RO2 to the standard of some mythical perfect game that never existed.

Nope. Just to the standard of Red Orchestra, by which I judge all fps games. You can quote stats all day long, but in the end, RO2 does not play the same way RO does. (note the use of the present tense -- last night I played Ostfront for a couple of hours in nearly full server and had a blast.)

Tripwire, a small independent company with limited resources, put 6 or 7 years of development into RO. This could have been the lever by which they could have competed against the AAA developers with millions of dollars to spend on labor in a year or two.

RO's years of development and balancing could have been put to use, they could have just taken Ostfront into the new engine, remodeled the existing vehicles, weapons, and soldiers, and really polished the game, while leaving the gameplay intact.

They didn't understand why their first hit was successful. They should have kept doing what made them successful. It happens all the time. George Lucas did it to the Star Wars franchise, Coca-Cola did it with New Coke. I suspect some freshly minted M.B.A. got to them and proved with stats and charts why the old, tired Ostfront should be replaced with something shiny.

They placed the wrong bet. It is disappointing, but it is business.

Upvote 0
You can quote stats all day long, but in the end, RO2 does not play the same way RO does. (note the use of the present tense -- last night I played Ostfront for a couple of hours in nearly full server and had a blast.)

Translation: "I admit that you are right on the points of mine that you roundly refuted, but that doesn't change my opinion (because opinions need not be based on facts) and therefore I'm still right."

De gustibus non est disputandum.

Upvote 0
Translation: "I admit that you are right on the points of mine that you roundly refuted, but that doesn't change my opinion (because opinions need not be based on facts) and therefore I'm still right."

De gustibus non est disputandum.

Too clever by half. The post I quoted didn't use stats to refute any point of mine. Beyond that, he hardly "roundly refuted" anything.

He claimed that the writer to whom he responded was "holding RO2 to the standard of some mythical perfect game that never existed." I find myself to be in agreement with the original poster and disagree that the standard is some mythical game.

Now that you've brought it up though, I'll take a second look at his other claims.

He said "Go down the list of RO1 maps. Arad, Baksan, Barashka, Kaukasas, Konigsplatz, Kurland, Leningrad, LyesKrovy, Odessa, Rakowice, Smolensk, Zhitomer are all very channelized, many of them having only one way to go to certain objectives, usually over open ground. When you do get a flanking route, it's often like Leningrad's sewers and requires a suicidal push through a literal channel, so it's not even a remotely viable alternative."

This is demonstrably false. Without spending more than a few minutes on this reply it must suffice to say that each of those maps has many routes to objectives and defensive and offensive positions. I've won on Leningrad as often as I've lost on it, and when the sewer is well defended (as it was last night) we find a way around or work to kill the defenders then push on. Suicide charges weren't necessary, and good defense didn't shut us down.

All I'll say about his comment about scaling up maps is that the map itself was scaled up, and so were the human figures. That is what scaling means. It doesn't mean that the roads or halls are longer or shorter, it means they increase proportionately. The map is the same yet plays differently due to the gameplay in RO2 being different than in RO.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Even Danzig got significantly scaled up when it was copied into RO2.

What are you? A comedian? Danzig is a 1 to 1 port when it comes to size.

Go down the list of RO1 maps. Arad, Baksan, Barashka, Kaukasas, Konigsplatz, Kurland, Leningrad, LyesKrovy, Odessa, Rakowice, Smolensk, Zhitomer are all very channelized, many of them having only one way to go to certain objectives, usually over open ground. When you do get a flanking route, it's often like Leningrad's sewers and requires a suicidal push through a literal channel, so it's not even a remotely viable alternative.

Ok, I go down your list of maps:

Arad - wide open fields, no limits where you wanna go, except of course the map border on the sides
Baksan - hm, basically no border at all, except the sides that (again) are the border of the map
Barashka - You know that the river was frozen and you could walk/drive over it, right? It's not limited to the 2 bridges
Kaukasus - yes, 2 ways only
Konigsplatz - Huge open space. Go wherever you want
Kurland - no choke points, much cover everywhere
Leningrad - 1st capzone might be a bit difficult, but 3 ways to get into it: frontal, tunnels, right flank (talking GER side here)
LyesKrovy - well, RO-pacman that is, but hold on: you can run into the trenches from everywhere
Odessa - limited access to approaches to capzone
Rakowice - you can go everywhere you want
Smolensk - first capzone is screwed and I agree that this map was awful frontal attack. I would put Basovka into the same category
Zhitomir - central park, right flank, left flank, 3 ways to attack

Now I don't disagree with the fact that many maps had some choke points. But usually, people could use their brain after getting killed 5 times in a row without reaching the capzone. There were alternatives.

If you are trying to tell us that the battlefields of RO were smaller than the ones in RO2, then you should give me the number of your dealer. Good stuff...

Reactions: Mekhazzio
Upvote 0
Others have taken this claim apart so thoroughly that I don't have to. It's just flat wrong.

You complain about "barely seeing more than 100 meters away", which is not only a clear exaggeration but even if it weren't, it's still better than RO1, where a 100m distant person was 4 pixels tall standing in the open. If they turn sideways you could well lose them to subpixel culling. In the many years the game's been out, 25% of the people with 100 kills have still never made a single 100 meter rifle kill in RO1. Many maps don't even have a place you could take such a shot. The maps and firefights are far larger on average than RO1, as an objective fact. Even Danzig got significantly scaled up when it was copied into RO2.
Regardless of the conversion factor for fictional game units to meters, I find myself squinting more (and more painfully) at RO2 than I did at RO1/DH.

Upvote 0