• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

I'm a ROOST player, and what the hell is RO2?

I'm enjoying the game more post-Nov 21 patch. I notice I get killed a lot more often by bolt rifles vs automatic weapons than I used to, which is great.

I am noticing that you get very little warning when the enemy is mostly bolt-action. People with auto weapons tend to aim less carefully and so you get a warning that you're under fire; people with bolt-actions seem to wait until they are sure of the shot, at which point your only warning is an 8mm bullet through the head.

Upvote 0
Problem is that it doesn't mean anything else than that some of clansmen you speak of don't play the game. I asked about numbers from ROOst to have something to compare HOS numbers with. You know what? I've found that ROOst had far less players than HOS have when some of the people claimed it to be dead. Problem is I can't get numbers from the very start to its end. That's why I doubt people who tell the game is dead and worse than ROOst - HOS being worse is just a matter of opinion. HOS being dead needs serious numbers to confirm. These do drop, sure, but each game has big drop of players and it's hard to judge it as dead. We need someone who can prove his statement about DOD. That's why regular, random people can't confirm someone's death.

roost has far less players because it is 5 years old. 3-4 months into ostfront's release, it consistently had 2k on. and 5 years down the line it consistently had 500ish or so on. right now hoes gets a little under 1000.

and to the poster who said "anecdotal evidence" to my claim, go and talk to a bunch of the clans who played ost to the very end-50pc, corena, nxs, tat, cc, chaos, tk, of-and you'll see that, for the most part, most of their players rarely play hos now compared to how much they played ostfront earlier this year. and those who do play this still grumble about it/play only because their friends in the clan play

Last edited:
Upvote 0
roost has far less players because it is 5 years old. 3-4 months into ostfront's release, it consistently had 2k on. and 5 years down the line it consistently had 500ish or so on. right now hoes gets a little under 1000.

and to the poster who said "anecdotal evidence" to my claim, go and talk to a bunch of the clans who played ost to the very end-50pc, corena, nxs, tat, cc, chaos, tk, of-and you'll see that, for the most part, most of their players rarely play hos now compared to how much they played ostfront earlier this year. and those who do play this still grumble about it/play only because their friends in the clan play

Hey, don't forget the multitudes of realism units that have come and gone, got excited about RO2, came back, and have died off again thanks to it being COD WAW.

Upvote 0
Wait, what? Darkest Hour has different weapons/vehicles, map mortars, and breaking vision optics on the tanks...

/QUOTE]
No mate its got the stock US/Brit stuff that is used by most late WWII games(YAWN) oh and its Yanks again(YAWN)with the odd Brit map which never seemed to be played when I gave it a go.
Mn and CC at least used different (IE early) war stuff.In fact i hadn't even heard of most of the guns in CC.MN also had a wicked line in insults and the overall feel was better due to it being based on Brit and commonwealth troops.So I say again DH was the poorest of the 3 mods.I played it fair bit when I came out(due to the other mods having no players(due to the small player base being split)). But it left me cold.

Reactions: Mike 78
Upvote 0
A New Hope

A New Hope

I just played a few matches in RO Ostfront, then a few in RO Stalingrad.

Since the release I've been disappointed in how Tripwire compromised RO gameplay. These past few rounds (maybe its recent patches) have been fun. I can see under all the fancy crap Ramm et al thought was necessary to gild the lily with, there is a good game. It will take a lot of effort to strip away the garbage, but the gameplay that made Red Orchesta great does seem to exist underneath.

A couple of quick observations while I wait for the SDK to load:

-- THE MAIN THING FIRST:
one of the reasons so many of us came back to RO so often was for the friends we've made over the years. The current UI makes it less easy to chat in game, to taunt Dr. NO when you bash him, to tell everyone gg at the end of a round. Strip off some of the fancy graphic overlays, and make the text chat and voip a more prominent part of the game.

-- another reason I miss being able to hop out of tanks is that sometimes I've driven around nearly empty maps just to explore and enjoy the scenery. By lockiing us in tanks you restrict us to jsut what you've thought we would do in game. Leave it to us to decide how we'll use RO2. We will find reasons to support the game that never occurred to you.

(I would say that if we can exit and enter tanks it ought to take 30 seconds or so, to eliminate popping out and hitting the panzergrenadier with a ppsh instantly.)

-- Bots bash me fast every time I get near, almost instantly and on the first try. Fix it.

-- Remove the ability to bandage, but dont change the damage. Some wounds will bleed out slowly, some will drop you fast. Adds some depth and is simple to implement -- just comment out the bandaging.

Reactions: Cyper
Upvote 0
There is a difference between constructive criticism and childish whining: Pointing out specific issues such as bugs, lag, too many semi-auto and automatic weapons per team, too many prototype weapons at a time, and suggesting ways to fix the issues is constructive, and should be encouraged by TW. Simply stating your dislike of HOS and TW accomplishes exactly nothing.

Upvote 0
I don't remember the last time I played this game for more than 5 minutes. I've just given up trying.

I'm having too much fun playing other stuff, BF3 (which has problems too ofc), Skyrim, and now I got a SWTOR beta invite for this weekend. Theres is absolutely NOTHING about RO2 that can make me even concider running it in my exam studying breaks. The game is broken, there's no people online, runs like crap and is filled with mindless gunrunning which has nothing to do with realism RO2 was supposed to depict.
Maybe, in a few months or a year when it gets modded properly it might not feel like a complete waste of money.

But that's a huge maybe.

:)

EDIT: oh and btw, I know I'll get massive hate for writing this whole post, not just the edit. But to all of you paladins and bootlickers who keep pushing the love for TWI and clinging to shreds of fun that can be found in this game, you're fooling yourself, hard. Just noticed a thread on the general page with the title "I'm liking where RO2 is headed". Give me a god damn break, the game is out for months and it's still nowhere near playable. Ohwell.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The game is broken, there's no people online, runs like crap and is filled with mindless gunrunning which has nothing to do with realism RO2 was supposed to depict.

I can find at least four full tactical-play servers at any time of day and game runs at 60-80 fps at all times on my aging rig.

Now that people know the maps, I'm finding coordinated lines moving up and raping teams that are playing as individuals. Balance between Axis and Allies on most maps seems to have sorted itself out.

Have poor design decisions been made? - Certainly.

I picked up a belt-fed MG36 today for the first time, and it was ridiculous. I don't know if picking it up gave me the user's stats, but hip-shotting was farcically easy. I mowed down five opponents with ease, without having to deploy the thing. That's not right in an RO game.

Paladin, white-knight, hammer-legion member? FFS no.

Upvote 0
I can find at least four full tactical-play servers at any time of day and game runs at 60-80 fps at all times on my aging rig.

Wow, that many? And tactical? Damn I must have been playing some other game then, when all those tactics seemed to disapear once you get sniped across the map with a bolt action rifle while sprinting 10 times in a row. Don't get me wrong, I find my gaming taste to be extremelly open to anything and I always try to explore the best any game I play has to offer. But as I said, maybe later. RO2 should have been postponed, the beta should have been longer...actually, when I think of it. This post release period which is months long now is in fact the beta. Funny thing is, there's less people now then there were in the actual beta. But I may be wrong about that. Anyway, you keep "enjoying" yourself with your fantastic gaming experience, I'll wait for a time when my "crapass" PC can run the game, which will probably take a long time since the engine is utter horsecrap. And if even then all of the other absurdities of the game remain. Well, I'll just uninstall this 30 euro investment and simply forget about it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I can see under all the fancy crap Ramm et al thought was necessary to gild the lily with, there is a good game. It will take a lot of effort to strip away the garbage, but the gameplay that made Red Orchesta great does seem to exist underneath.
Exactly, and I do believe that a good number of the people who are so disappointed by RO2 object so vehemently because of the frustration of seeing that a great game is only one spring clean away. I suspect that at one stage in the development of RO2 there existed a version of the game that a large number of community members are clamouring for, and it then got buried under a thick layer of greasy

Upvote 0
-- Remove the ability to bandage, but dont change the damage. Some wounds will bleed out slowly, some will drop you fast. Adds some depth and is simple to implement -- just comment out the bandaging.

There's no reason to remove bandaging, instead I would change the way it works.

Bandaging should be restricted to minor/mediocre wounds on the arms/legs and to very minor wounds to the chest. Everything else should be impossible to bandage. From there you would want a slightly longer bandage time, from a gameplay perspective it's not fun to wait 10 seconds to bandage, but 2 seconds is not enough.

Bleeding out should take somewhat longer and wounds should of course apply the right type of penalties. These penalties(that should be pretty severe), in my opinion should not be temporary but rather force you to go to a resupply point in order to lessen the penalties.

Upvote 0
Wait, what? Darkest Hour has different weapons/vehicles, map mortars, and breaking vision optics on the tanks...

/QUOTE]
No mate its got the stock US/Brit stuff that is used by most late WWII games(YAWN) oh and its Yanks again(YAWN)with the odd Brit map which never seemed to be played when I gave it a go.
Mn and CC at least used different (IE early) war stuff.In fact i hadn't even heard of most of the guns in CC.MN also had a wicked line in insults and the overall feel was better due to it being based on Brit and commonwealth troops.So I say again DH was the poorest of the 3 mods.I played it fair bit when I came out(due to the other mods having no players(due to the small player base being split)). But it left me cold.

DH was better then RO and certainly the other mods in many aspects and it was made pretty damn obvious because more players were playing DH then were playing RO. Frankly I can't take somebody serious if he doesn't like a game merely for including the American side. And wicked line in insults? really? That what you judge a game on?

Do you know DH Raids? It was a British map and if you never played it you probably never played longer than 2 hours because it's in the top 8 maps played in DH. RO2 ain't got **** on DH gameplay wise unless you like arcade better then realism. DH introduced most of the features that were labled new in RO2 like climbing over obstacles, mortars (still not in RO2) and a huge amount of tanks and weapons. I always felt like the DH team put much more work in RO then TWI themselves did after release of their retail product. Only map I remember coming out made by TW was fallen heroes and it sucked just like their copiy paste version in RO2 sucks. I wouldn't call this mod poor in any way but I would call your conclusions on it very poor.

Upvote 0
Maybe, in a few months or a year when it gets modded properly it might not feel like a complete waste of money.

But that's a huge maybe.

:)

EDIT: oh and btw, I know I'll get massive hate for writing this whole post, not just the edit. But to all of you paladins and bootlickers who keep pushing the love for TWI and clinging to shreds of fun that can be found in this game, you're fooling yourself, hard. Just noticed a thread on the general page with the title "I'm liking where RO2 is headed". Give me a god damn break, the game is out for months and it's still nowhere near playable. Ohwell.

It seems like so many people who have an opinion in here perceive others' contrary opinions as a threat to the future of the game because there is a general reputation for TWI of being a company who will dare to tweak their game, open it to modders, and furthermore they seem to have released a game in a fairly unfinished state so it may still have much potential for growth.

It's like you see people who enjoy the game and dare to voice that enjoyment as potentially demotivating any changes you think are necessary, so you feel compelled to treat them as opponents and insult them and treat your own judgement as universal truth in order to leverage the change you want made.

My time in games is elective. I don't fool myself about whether I am having fun, or whether I am engrossed or not, deeper Platonic or Buddhist philosophical inquiries aside. Either I am engrossed and I play the game a lot or I am not and I don't feel like starting it up again. That's pretty much it with games. I can argue and argue in detail about the reasons that seem to contribute to this feeling, but I can't say the person who doesn't share it is wrong in that feeling even if he's got his facts messed up.

It's not that you look foolish for not enjoying the game. Telling people they are fooling themselves for having a different opinion of a game they play in their free time for enjoyment and calling them disparaging names for it is what makes you look foolish.

Last edited:
Reactions: TravisT
Upvote 0
And tactical? Damn I must have been playing some other game then, when all those tactics seemed to disapear once you get sniped across the map with a bolt action sniper rifle while sprinting 10 times in a row.

Doesn't sound like the game that sucks. You have to make the game tactical by not running in the open. Have some covering fire and smoke.

Upvote 0
Telling people they are fooling themselves for having a different opinion of a game they play in their free time for enjoyment and calling them disparaging names for it is what makes you look foolish.

True, no doubt about it. I won't deny anything you said. I guess I just feel the need to write stuff like this because of the massive disapointment this game turned out to be in my eyes. I preordered, looked forward to it, played it when it came out, defended TWI and expected changes...nothing changed. Still, whenever I see a patch downloading on Steam I wait patiently, run the game afterwards, and still, nobody online (and by nobody I don't mean it literally, but very few people), runs like crap, I can snipe people from 200 meters with every bullet I shoot (0 enjoyment). Sound buzzing like theres a loose wire in my headset (only in RO2). Stuttering, 100 ping on european servers (which is a damn joke). The list goes on and on. I guess I'm so frustrated by all this it's incomprehensible to me how anyone can actually have fun in RO2.
Ohwell. Rant over.

Upvote 0
And tactical? Damn I must have been playing some other game then, when all those tactics seemed to disapear once you get sniped across the map with a bolt action sniper rifle while sprinting 10 times in a row.

Doesn't sound like the game that sucks. You have to make the game tactical by not running in the open. Have some covering fire and smoke.

Do you take everything so literally? I'm clearly pointing out the accuracy problem in this game. Not my gaming skill, which is, I assure you, far more than adequate for playing this very very easy and casual FPS.

Reactions: Cyper
Upvote 0