• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

I'm a ROOST player, and what the hell is RO2?

I'm afraid, that this thread will be deleted soon by TWI. Since TWI thinks that RO players are minority and our opinion doesn't matter so much. RO fans started to blame RO2 design decisions months before release and nothing happened. Today I don't blame TWI for bugs or missing features because money or time could be a problem for them, but fact that game was made to mostly please CoD/BF crowd is unacceptable. They failed in this badly anyway.

I really trusted TWI, supported them by buying Killing Floor, skins, The Ball and spreading a good word about their unique PC only games etc, but I'll think twice before I buy their next product. I'd prefer support modders who bring RO spirit into HoS than get "another CoD-a-like fps game". It could happen to Killing Floor 2 when they would release it as Left 4 Dead copy.
However if they fix gameplay I may change my mind.

Number of active RO2 players is around 800. I guess it is possible to pick a one day as RO:O day, play some Ostfront, have fun and show on Steam statistics that we RO players are here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm not saying the game couldn't use a little tweaking. But pissing and moaning about it on the forums wont get you anywhere. I am a huge Ostfront fan, I've played the game, I know what i'ts about, i have a ton of fun playing it and still do. Modders will take care of some of the things that we don't like in HOS. Patience people.

Upvote 0
If the TWI devs didn't know on some level that there's a really big chunk of their community that is seriously dissatisfied with this game, they'd have to be both deaf and blind, and maybe a little extra.

I think the community has made its dissatisfaction rather clear, on more than just problems with bugs. It's the gameplay that a lot of us are disappointed with, as well as the abandonment of realism in many respects (both functionally and historically).

The only question that remains at this point is whether TWI will improve the gameplay or whether we'll have to rely on mods.

I'm going to assume mods. Even if TWI wanted to, I doubt they'd change the gameplay for free... its a lot of work with no pay. I'd pay an extra $20 for something more like the original game. :cool:

Upvote 0
I'm going to assume mods. Even if TWI wanted to, I doubt they'd change the gameplay for free... its a lot of work with no pay. I'd pay an extra $20 for something more like the original game. :cool:
Well bringing more players back to the game certainly isn't work without pay. The more people TWI keeps playing RO2, the better off their company is when the release expansions such as Rising Storm (which will likely be monetized), or future games.

It may not have an immediate pay off to please your upset fans, but it certainly will pay dividends in the future. This is especially true for a niche developer like TWI. Every customer counts.

Upvote 0
I agree with hockeywarrior on this. But RO2 taught me a lesson: never pre-order again!

In fact, so far I just preordered 2 games so far: Mafia 2 (disappointing) and RO 2 (very disappointing).

For RO 2, I still have the feeling that eventually, the game will be enjoyable, either through TWI fixing the issues or modders doing so. BUT, in my eyes, it will not regain the player numbers it was targeting for. Hopefully, the 2.Fjg server will stay alive for a long time. Eventhough my ping to that server sucks (as usual) it's playable. Well, it will eventually be playable when the microstutters stop and my system is finally utilized as it should be.

Upvote 0
Yoshiro has stated that when mutators come in (ie, small changes that are not nearly as much work as full scale mods) that there will be a "whitelisted" group of mutators (meaning, generally speaking, realism mutators) that will be fully compatible with ranked play. To me, this will solve 95% of people's complaints with this game. If you want your "slow movement speed realism", you can have it, your "extra sway realism", no mkbs/avts, etc etc.

I think if these "approved" mutators had been available at launch or shortly after we would not have seen the majority of the complaining/whining/whatever. Unfortunately its taken long enough now that its hurt the game. I think some people have become more interested in crusading against the game at this point than actually having interest in those things once they do finally arrive, which is unfortunate.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well I think the game is excellent. It's certainly not an arcade shooter. The 'realism' thing is such a silly argument I'm not even going to address it.

Please don't claim to speak for all ROOST players. I loved the original and I love the new one. Constructive criticism is great, and I'm sure the developers take it in. But *****ing like this doesn't get you anywhere. In fact, it will certainly hurt your cause.

Upvote 0
I still play, some of my community do, but I have to admit it is not easy keeping things going and indeed many people have gone.

This makes me think about the pacific expansion...
If that releases in the next 6 months, and RO2 has not improved a lot...and they ask money for this mod/epanion however great it may be...

Then I'm done with TWI. I mean I'm still very anthousiastic about this game, and I think it is the best new thing. But releasing an expansion for money with the current low playerbase would be a deadly mistake, at least in my eyes.

If they choose to tap my wallet before making this a popular game, then I will put them in the moneygrabbing category.

I'm not saying TWI will do this, rather I'm cautioning not to make that mistake. TWI's main selling point is their different, non-moneygrab approach. Hope they will live what they preach.

PS 2Jfg server, never playing there again; use MG - friendly runs in front of it while firing on full auto - tk- I get session banned lol. Stupid TK setting hurts play.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Exactly what those guys have said:

They are fixing something that will not be good to most of the players because it's not bugs fault, its just that the game is too far away from what the original fanbase expected.

I already played 40 hours and i'm bored to death, we need the old RO mechanic back to this new engine, the animation, sounds and ragdolls are AMAZING in RO2, they just need to bring the old gameplay Back and VOILA.

Upvote 0
Please don't claim to speak for all ROOST players. I loved the original and I love the new one. Constructive criticism is great, and I'm sure the developers take it in. But *****ing like this doesn't get you anywhere. In fact, it will certainly hurt your cause.
Same boat here. It's not even like the two games are even substantially different. There's a lot of fixation on things far out of proportion to their actual contribution to gameplay.

Upvote 0
I'm afraid, that this thread will be deleted soon by TWI. Since TWI thinks that RO players are minority and our opinion doesn't matter so much.

Paranoid much or just not been to the forum for a couple of months? Threads that criticises the game doesn't get deleted. You could have looked at just the first couple of the pages on the forum to learn that.

Your second claim is also nonsense, since a) they do actually listen and have implemented features, tweaked maps, fixed bugs, based on the input of people on the forum and b) RO players are not a homogenous mass that all want the same. I will repeat what another fellow RO-player said in this thread: "Please speak for yourself, I am tired of people speaking for the RO1 player community!".

Upvote 0
Paranoid much or just not been to the forum for a couple of months? Threads that criticises the game doesn't get deleted.
I guess you haven't been paying much attention ... they do get deleted, as well as posts. Just not often enough to be totally obvious.

But back on topic. I think that TWI very well might make gameplay changes in light of Yoshiro's recent status post, but until we know what those changes are, or have a part in the process for helping to decide what they are, I still think mods will be what we need to make this game truly realistic to feel like a successor to RO1.

Reactions: cucamonster
Upvote 0
They most likely won't change the game too much like adding a new "real realism" mode. I expect they'll just fix the game and release the features that were supposed to be in already.
TWI wanted a broader fanbase instead of only the loyal fanbase which was pretty small so they figured by making the game a bit like ROOST and a bit like COD they'll attract both sides but it seems they didn't realize alot of the ROOST players don't want to play a COD game and alot of COD players don't want to play a ROOST game. They are left with an even smaller fanbase now. The game can't be fixed without a complete overhaul. The bugs will be fixed but it's different with the gameplay. You can't fix something that's theoretically not broken, it's a matter of taste even when most people's taste is the same.

And herein lies the rub. They tried to appeal to the larger audience, thereby alienating the RO:Ostfront playerbase who were their biggest source of advertisement and support.

The attempt to appeal failed because RO:HOS is still not as arcadey as the CoD and MW fans like so they've left already.

Now the game is left with players who are still just starting and unsure and on most of the servers I play on and on ours, the regulars who have played RO for years and those we've brought in....who are quite disappointed in the changes towards the "arcadey/run'n'gun" style.

They tried to please both sides of that spectrum and ended up displeasing both.

So who to choose. If I were the president of TWI, my choice would be clear, the fanbase that has been around for years and will continue to be around and bring in new players and to nurture that niche gaming crowd who are looking for a realistic WW2 FPS game. I would certainly not want to compete with console games released on PC like CoD, BF3, MW something or other. Those players will be fickle and come and go....but then again as long as they come they pay. I hope that doesn't become the ONLY criteria for change.

Upvote 0
Pretty much correct imo what slyder says.

This is a trap most game developements fall into. The developements that don't fall into this, often end up with legendary games. Games like: operation flashpoint, serious sam on the other spectrum, or Halo maybe.

There is no harm in allowing the players to take the game in a different direction, but I think the best developement philosophy is to go for only one clear goal, one clear target audience.

e.g.
-single player or multiplayer (RO2HOS is ok on this; SP is more like a tutorial with pretty movies)
-focus on fast action, or slower realism or tactical&teamwork (would have things like a mimimap, hud; tools that aren't realistic but simulate real life experience)
-console or pc (actually one console is better then multiple)

Upvote 0
All we hate getting the feeling we got ripped off at is,

1. Sniper scope and bajonet on a STG 44.

2. Double mag to the mp40.

3. Double mag to the MG34

4. No luger.

5. Spawn at squad leader.

And you know the rest,
That whole idea is wild west i wanna shoot someone for it!
And we all 110 poeple agree to it, Trust me...
We all hate that, But still in the end we got faith in TWI.
But still its a bloody robbery or a slap on the cheeck.
We had so much anticipation, We got overunned.
Pissed on for some wrongfully idea of how this game should be.
I know it aint my game, I dident make it.
But we all are the players,
We dont give a livin **** of what you think the game should be.
We play it daily, You touch poeples feelings here.
I really hope for the sake of TWI that there will be an update.
Or even mod. Because this is a disapointment.

If they cant be a man enuff to speak the truth, Let me.

Upvote 0
We just need MORE tanks and bigger maps! I played ROOST for the tank mods. I never really cared for it's FPS aspect as I thought it was a bit slow.

I'm not a big run & gun fan with FPS's but I think the pace at which RO2 moves is pretty good. I only wish there were a lot less full/semi autos. I'm a bolt action fan and makes it rough on some of the smaller maps to compete with all the autos.

The only problem with larger maps and the current tank set ups, is the fact it will be too easy for tanks to mow down all the ground support with the AI hull gunner. So we need some nice tank maps that still have lots of cover for the ground troops. (or better yet TWI could remove the AI hull gunner..)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hello guys,

I am a longtime RO:OST vet, as well as a lifelong FPS/RTS gamer, and I felt it necessary out of weeks of frustration in "RO2" to come here and simply ask:

What am I playing?

As soon as SDK and modtools are released let me know, because I know the loyal RO community will fix this garbage and restore realism and fun if TWI won't.

'Till then, I may as well buy COD: MW23 and Battlefield 15, because at least those stupid childish arcade games have people on them.

Also, and just as a niche point: Where did the luger go off to, yet games are saturated with "riflemen" spamming full auto C96s and silenced revolvers? Naturally, everyone else has

Reactions: Apos
Upvote 0