• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Code Ide

We are pretty old-school here in the programming department. We are using UDE and Visual Studio. Haven't tried nFringe yet, just saw the price tag and was like garggrglwtf.

I heard the RS dudes are using it, might wanna ask them.

Hm, yeah, only free for non-commercial use, forgot that. :/
Coming from wotgreal I tried using that with some UT3 gametype i implemented, read about the nfringe VS plugin and went there.

Since you TWI guys arent using it, you probably cant comment on the chances of it being able to debug HoS code, right?

Edit: http://wiki.pixelminegames.com/index.php?title=Tools:nFringe:FAQ#.2ADebugging_is_not_working
Weird, thought i was able to debug in UT3, link says only the commercial version can do that. Maybe they changed it.
Pity though, UScript debugging cuts the dev time in half imo.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I use the non-commercial version and it does debug in visual studio just fine.

Yeah, did that as well, and just read through the link i posted again and in the upper part they tell you the steps you have to do to get debugging to work as a modder and at the bottom they say only the commercial version can do that. strange. but good thing it works. Hope it works for HoS too :)

Upvote 0
We use nFringe.

In some ways it's great, in others it's bloody annoying. For instance, it doesn't recognise some core RO class files as being unrealscript, so it refuses to parse them and causes intellisense to break completely.

Speaking of intellisense, once it guesses at what you're typing (variable, class, etc) there is only one key that will cancel it - escape. Anything else you press that you would sensibly expect to force an ignore (like an open bracket or a space, signifying clearly that you're done typing the word you wanted), will instead select the highlighted term and overwrite whatever you were trying to enter.

BorisTSR sings its praises but personally I find it quite rage-inducing. I used WOTgreal back on Darkest Hour and found it to be far superior in both layout and functionality, but it unfortunately doesn't play nice with Unreal 3. The last update that it received did add UE3 support, but introduced some sort of crippling performance bug that left me with no choice but to switch to nFringe.

Upvote 0
?!@ really you can cancel it? *thank you psycho chicken*. Im currently on my CO-OP term taking a degree in Comp Sci. Working in VS 08 and intellisence can get a bit annoying at times.

Best addon ive seen on this term has been Resharper. Cntrl N is a search of class names which you can type camel cased or use stars or type out actual class names. so TCIWNP could be used for TheClassIWantNowPlease. Cntrl shift N searches by file name. I barely use the solution browser anymore, its just quicker to use the search function... :). It also has a plethora of other options for doing things like changing variable names in all uses, or changing constructors in all uses...

Upvote 0
Upvote 0