• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

I want all human slots for tanks.

Nicholas

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2010
I want every position, including the loader to be playable in the game, while certainly most people would not want to be a loader, or an MG/radio guy on a tank only map, I just like the option, and realism units would LOVE IT!

Also, I'm really upset that the German tank commander/gunner are the same person, even if they switch between two different characters, I think this is the main advantage of German tanks that theres a seperate pair of eyes, and its actually one of the main advantages of the German tanks over the Russian tanks.

For CA maps I imagine theres a fixed number of tanks, and you could have as many crew as you want, while on tank only maps, it could be an advantage/disadvantage, for example 10 fully manned German tanks vs 32 1 manned Russian tanks.

I want every position, including the loader to be playable in the game, while certainly most people would not want to be a loader, or an MG/radio guy on a tank only map, I just like the option, and realism units would LOVE IT!

no. if you seriously want to play loader, join the army. it's completely unnecessary for TW to bother coding/modelling/animating for a player controlled loader position.

Also, I'm really upset that the German tank commander/gunner are the same person, even if they switch between two different characters, I think this is the main advantage of German tanks that theres a seperate pair of eyes, and its actually one of the main advantages of the German tanks over the Russian tanks.

sometimes you have to make small "realism" sacrifices for the sake of preserving gameplay balance and overall consistency. ;)

Upvote 0
I would love it if the Gunner and Commander are seperate people, to me I would like it if I could just focus on gunning and relying on my commander to locate for me, while he/she locates for me he talks to the driver to turn here and there. Now in my view I would like it the commander could switch between the Hull gunner instead of the gunner switching with the commander, could that be implimented?

Upvote 0
I do not QUITE agree with playable loader. I believe if the loader is killed, then you oughtta simply be able to reload it yourself. It will just take a bit longer.
My only other problem with RO2 tanking is being stuck in your tank. In real life, crews would be forced to bail, as exciting and threatening games of cat-and-mouse ensued. Some how, I find these little games very realistic, and still fun!

Upvote 0
I would love it if the Gunner and Commander are seperate people, to me I would like it if I could just focus on gunning and relying on my commander to locate for me, while he/she locates for me he talks to the driver to turn here and there. Now in my view I would like it the commander could switch between the Hull gunner instead of the gunner switching with the commander, could that be implimented?

Thats exactly what I'm trying to say, one team could have less tanks but more human crew, while one team could have more tanks but less human crew, RO is not about being perfectly evenly balanced.

I do not QUITE agree with playable loader. I believe if the loader is killed, then you oughtta simply be able to reload it yourself. It will just take a bit longer.
My only other problem with RO2 tanking is being stuck in your tank. In real life, crews would be forced to bail, as exciting and threatening games of cat-and-mouse ensued. Some how, I find these little games very realistic, and still fun!

Theres an option to scuttle your tank, fighting with a pistol in a grey jumpsuit sucks.

Upvote 0
Now if you want to be rediculously realistic when it comes to tanks is to have German tanks (I won't say this about Soviet tanks because I am unaware) turrets be slow to move, they were hand cranked unlike the sherman electrical rotating turret, that's why when the equation Sherman + 50 meter radius + open field = domination of the german tanks, "I hit you in the rear, oh donkey poo your turret is about to turn all the way to hit me... driver move up 10 meters... haha you have 5 more seconds (or however) to adjust your turret again.... Now if the Germans were a skilled team, they could easily over power but since it usually wasn't 1v1 (the tactic would be move the entire tank so the turret has faster rotation) turning your rear to a sherman in front, rear, side = you're screwed.... :D

Upvote 0
Now if you want to be rediculously realistic when it comes to tanks is to have German tanks (I won't say this about Soviet tanks because I am unaware) turrets be slow to move, they were hand cranked unlike the sherman electrical rotating turret, that's why when the equation Sherman + 50 meter radius + open field = domination of the german tanks, "I hit you in the rear, oh donkey poo your turret is about to turn all the way to hit me... driver move up 10 meters... haha you have 5 more seconds (or however) to adjust your turret again.... Now if the Germans were a skilled team, they could easily over power but since it usually wasn't 1v1 (the tactic would be move the entire tank so the turret has faster rotation) turning your rear to a sherman in front, rear, side = you're screwed.... :D

Really? Were they that slow? I never knew that.

Upvote 0

it would be nice if you could be any person in the tank... if you dont want to be the reloaded then gtfo of the reloaders seat.

but if not reloader then i still want all spots to be able to be controlled by humans.

i have a bunch of friends that really want RO2 for tanks and WE would like to be able to have all 5 of us in the same tank. they could always make it that a human loader has the potential to reload faster than a bot.

and even in tank only maps the mgunner could swap to any position if someone dies.

thumbs up for you:)

can we not have hardcore tanks?... many of you are starting to sound like the COD people that complain about manual bolting and slow gameplay... maybe you need "relaxed tankism"

Last edited:
Upvote 0
it would be nice if you could be any person in the tank... if you dont want to be the reloaded then gtfo or the reloaders seat.

but if not reloader then i still want all spots to be able to be controlled by humans.

i have a bunch of friends that really want RO2 for tanks and WE would like to be able to have all 5 of us in the same tank. they could always make it that a human loader has the potential to reload faster than a bot.

and even in tank only maps the mgunner could swap to any position if someone dies.

thumbs up for you:)

can we not have hardcore tanks?... many of you are starting to sound like the COD people that complain about manual bolting and slow gameplay... maybe you need "relaxed tankism"

DAMN STRAIGHT! I'm not saying people should be forced to reload, it should just be an option, maybe a human loader could pick out ammo and reload faster.

And people support the idea of the German commander/gunner being the same role because they want it to be "balanced", well guess what, the T34 is a better tank in terms of armor and speed, one of the German tanks main advantages is the separate commander, because he's a separate pair of eyes, being a gunner/commander can be pretty stressful.

Upvote 0
I'd agree with you, but somebody playing a loader would basically be wasting a player slot in the server. They may as well be AFK.

If you have a tank with four people it it, and one of them is playing the loader, they may as well just leave the server so somebody else can play on foot.

wrong.

Every position will start as an AI in a tank and be taken over by humans, ergo most people will leave the AI loader to do its job. When you play on a team server / with friends / etc you may WANT a human loader. by your logic a human driver is useless, he just sits there and drives, he doesnt kill much at all what a waste. we should have 1 man does all tanks like Betafield...

That being said the AI loader would probably be used mostly in Tank only maps or possibly combined arms.

Lastly not all german tanks were hand cranked turret. Heavier tank turrets like the Tiger had turret rotation attached to the engine, so were the driver to rev the engine the turret rotated faster. I found a video of it somewhere once and recorded a reved tiger and some degree of rotation, long story short was that the turret could turn rather quickly when it was needed. ( for hand crank turrets you just ask the driver to rotate X degrees in Y direction...)

I will add to this that many hours of OREL were played with mates in game where we fully crewed Tigers or panthers. That included a hull MG, he was the man who got out and bombed bridges or took care of infy or took over if someone got sniped out. We knew from long hours of play that having that extra man in the tank was better then having him jump into another tank to follow, plus it just feels better to teamwork...

Last edited:
Reactions: Spruten
Upvote 0
The driver can drive strategically, and run people over if needed. The AI may be good but I'm betting a human driver can do a much better job, positioning the tank to deflect enemy fire, and driving recklessly to their advantage.

A human loader does nothing but sit there and load, he contributes absolutely nothing, he may as well just be sitting in spawn AFK. Even if theres a button setup for loading, an AI loader could do a better job. It depends on the map and number of tank crewman, but in most circumstances sitting in a loader position would be a waste of a player slot when you could be driving or shooting from another tank.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I too really wish commander would be playable.

Now if you want to be rediculously realistic when it comes to tanks is to have German tanks (I won't say this about Soviet tanks because I am unaware) turrets be slow to move, they were hand cranked unlike the sherman electrical rotating turret [...]

You are just a bit wrong there about the facts considering the tanks that

Last edited:
Reactions: SS-Kommando
Upvote 0